Playing local files on an Android phone

Solved!

Playing local files on an Android phone

dentalfun
Regular

Hi

This may be a little unusual and difficult to explain, so please bear with me.

I collect a lot of individual tracks for dance training, and I used to buy mp3s and edit the album information to one massive album (>500 songs) which I could randomise. Played it through Windows Media Player on my PC when at home, transferred those local files to my Samsung Z1 compact and played them on Google Play Music through a bluetooth speaker when in a studio.

I decided to move to Spotify Premium because it would be easier to keep up with new music. Using Spotify on my PC I imported this huge album I'd created and saved it as a playlist, and started adding new music to this. All fine and I could play it off my computer.

However, when trying to use this playlist on my phone I can only play those tracks that I added to it from Spotify, not those which I imported as local files from my computer, although I have those identical files local on my phone as well. I guess it's pretty reasonable that Spotify wouldn't recognise those files files as being the same as the PC ones. 

Is there any way round this? So far the only alternative I've found is to use Google Play Premium...

Alex

Hi folks,

For anybody still experiencing this issue, we'd recommend heading over to this thread and following the troubleshooting steps provided in the Top Answer.

Hope this helps 🙂

40 Replies

Gottabeasin
Casual Listener

Well that's me never updating then. I listen to a lot of rare music and rely on being able to sync 

Joe
Community Legend

Until @donalddeanwalke gives us a source, I wouldn't worry too much.

kkoutalis
Casual Listener

Sadly the method doesn't work for me either; I've rebooted my phone and laptop but nothing changes 😞

I do think that this is no longer working sadly. 😞

Gottabeasin
Casual Listener

Did you try the firewall method? I know it still works as I only did this 2 days ago to get my uncle's music onto a play list 

Solution!

kkoutalis
Casual Listener

Luckily it was a PEBKAC case for me (problem exists between keyboard and chair).

I had them on two different SSIDs. 🙂

View solution in original post

iamnotaginger

... so what I'm reading is that the thing I did a year ago (less than a year ago?) where I added a song purchased through iTunes (because it was the only place the artist released the song) and managed [through various online tutorials] to download to both my computer AND phone and then add to my Spotify playlists, I can no longer do?  I have a song which was in .wma format, which I converted to .mp3 format (with iTunes, please don't tell anyone) and was able to add it to the DESKTOP version of multiple playlists on Spotify.  but when I use it on my phone, it doesn't play the songs.  I went through the process of downloading the song to my phone. but I don't have iTunes on my phone to go through that conversion process again, so I plugged my phone into the computer and copied the file over to the phone to the same folder where that OTHER song is living.

I can't seem to figure out on the android app how to "sync" or add a local file or anything.  it was frustrating enough to go through all of that for the computer, but can I PLEASE just listen to my rare song when I'm driving?!?!  
the fact that Spotify keeps discontinuing things we've been able to do all these years (i mean, 5+ years as a Spotify premium user, and we keep losing capabilities... anyone else miss the inbox???)

do we have any other solutions?

G1Sniper

Hi guys i just done this tonight following these instructions and my songs are working perfect.. drag and dropped  through pc version to selected playlist .. connect both to same network and opened spptify app on pc and andriod and it works perfect ... disconnected from network and songs still play.

eashenden

I tried it with almost no success today but got it to work. I've got the spotify app downloaded from the web running on windows 10 and a google pixel running android 8.0.0. I made sure spotify was allowed access through the firewall and checked my router and all that. After all that it still didn't work but then I went to the playlist on my phone made sure it was checked for download even though they were greyed out. I then plugged my phone into my PC with a usb and after a second it started downloading them. GREAT SUCCESS

pwinter27

I had to turn off the VPN on my phone / also undownloaded the playlist and redownloaded. This worked for me on android 6.0.1.

Solution!

butttttt

THIS WORKS I DID IT TODAY!

what you have to do is add the song to your playlist on spotify and then download the playlist to your phone on the android app. it worked in five seconds. now that i posted this they will probably figure out a way to stop this from happening. gotta put up all those old juicy j songs before the update lolol!

View solution in original post

user-removed
Not applicable

I'm just wondering, do the songs you add from the playlist appear in your library under all music or can you only play them from the playlist?

littelarnold

that worked for me, thanks so much

Serwei
Regular

Strange is that only some songs can sync, and some can't.

I don't think it's an end user tech issue, since I can play all my songs on my desktop via spotify, sync some of them to the phone (chronology independent).

I suspect there's some strange zoning or antipiracy AI in place, with unknown rules.

Eliteshadow
Casual Listener

Okay so I have alot of songs I downloaded from YouTube mp3 juice. I found the settings in Spotify app but can't find local file's to transfer to Spotify on the Spotify app as recommended. So how do I transfer music? Also I do not have a PC just a synced PlayStation 3.

Joe
Community Legend

You need to follow the instructions here, which do require a PC.

Eliteshadow
Casual Listener

Like I said I do not have a Computer just a Synced account on a PlayStation 3 console. Is there some way I can connect my phone to my PlayStation an add file's to it there?

Joe
Community Legend

No. Like I said, you need a PC.

Eliteshadow
Casual Listener

Well thanks for the help. However I'm going back to mp3 juice an my music app. I just wanted to play music on my TV instead of my water speakers.

KeaneCarotenuto

Thanks for the firewall info, I would have thought that Spotify already has access through the firewall. Never had firewall problems before, odd.
Anyway, thanks!

Bananacreamoreo

The easiest way to do this is to go to your settings, then local files on your computer. Add a location on your computer. Add songs from there to a Spotify playlist. Then go on your mobile and download them. You should be able to listen to them on your phone after that.

SUGGESTED POSTS