Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playlist & Folder Sorting Issue

Playlist & Folder Sorting Issue

Plan
Premium
Country
USA

Device
Samsung Galaxy S10
Operating System
One UI 1.1
Android 9

iPhone 6
iOS 12

My Question or Issue
My playlists are being rearranged by Spotify automatically. This is disorienting as I have a particular system of finding the playlists I use (alphabetical order) as I'm a DJ and need to move quickly to my playlists. The rearranging would make some sense if the most used playlists were actually moving up top, but that doesn't always happen. Sometimes my major DJ folder (by far the most clicked folder by 50X) will appear 30 playlists down in my list. This is maddening. Please implement a control for folder sorting (Auto or Manual).

Thanks for everything. You're amazing .
By the way, I've been receiving this error when trying to post this issue on my mobile. As you can read above, there's no HTML in my post, unless the system is putting it in. 
Your ost has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied.
14 Replies

Exactly the issue I came to report. I love Spotify, but the new auto sort playlist feature is infuriating when scrolling through my (many) playlists in my (many) folders. I would love an auto/manual sort setting. Thanks!

Hey there @SustainedNote and @spear_here,

Thanks for posting and welcome both to the Community!

No worries, you can sort your playlists and folders in alphabetical order. 

You can do that by following the steps below:

1. In Your Library > Playlists, scroll down to reveal the search and filter options:NYL_TWITTER_02_SearchFilter.gif

2. Tap Filters.
  3. In the menu that pops up, select Sort by Name for alphabetical view. Alternatively, you can select to Sort by Custom order.

Custom sort lets you to manually order your playlist to any order you like.

You can change your custom sort order in the Spotify desktop app and it will be mirrored in the mobile app as well. There's more info on sorting and filtering in this Spotify Answer.

On another note, @SustainedNote if you're having troubles posting in the Community from your mobile device, we'd recommend giving it another try from an incognito or private window in your browser.

Hope this helps! If there's anything else we can help with, don't hesitate to give us a shout.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

This solution does not work in playlist folder on Android.

The three dots at top right corner is not available in playlist folder in Android. 

Screenshot_20191212-081957.png

As of 12 April 2020 these sorting options are not available on Android as far as I can see.

I rely on a custom sorting order for much the same reasons as the original poster, and so would really appreciate it if there was some way to sort playlists manually. Or at the very least stop Spotify from automatically sorting them by most recently played.

Going back to the "old" solution of only being able to sort the on a PC would be fine, too. I just want to be able to decide for myself how to arrange them.

Never mind - just click the "Filters" button to the right of the search bar. You will find the sorting options there. Not entirely logical, mind you, but at least it's there.

There's no option to sort playlists on the desktop app

How do you do this on a mac?

I'm using nvidia shield and there is no option for filter to get my artists in alphabetical order. This is horrible!!!!

I'm a s Shield user too. Instead of using Spotify for Android TV, I've sideloaded the regular phone app and also used an an app called Set Orientation, to force landscape. This is much better for me (I have local music) and the now playing full screen shows the album cover on a background matching the colors of the cover.

Hey there folks,

Thanks for reaching out to us 🙂

If you still experience this issue, we'd suggest you restart your device and then log out and log back in again.

If that doesn't help, you can give these steps a go and run a clean reinstall. By doing that you can make sure the app is up-to-date and the cache is not causing this issue. Then you can try again sorting the playlists with these steps.

@OzLev Does the issue persist? If you still experience this issue, you can send us a screenshots of what you're seeing. We'll investigate this further.

Hope this helps! If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Ver Moderator

If you are replying to my post entitled "Prevent Order of Playlists In A Folder From Being Altered By Spotify"

then no you have not offered me any solutions. In my post, I made a SUGGESTION.  I know what is happening here, and the problem is at Spotify's end not mine. I have a large number  of playlists in a folder, in alphabetical order. When I play a song in a playlist, Spotify puts that playlist at top of my folder, thus spoiling my order. 

Why dos this have to happen? I want my folders left alone. There's a recently played section. That's fine.  But what advantage is there to reordering my folder?

That 's my suggestion. I want Recently Played to stay by itself and not effect anything else. 

I have over 6,000 local songs in this folder. If I reinstall Spotify, I have  to download the songs again, which takes around 90 minutes.  

Hey @jim146,

Thanks for getting back to us 🙂

It looks like we already replied to you in the thread you linked. You can take a look there for more information.

If you have questions, we are here for you.

Stay safe!

Ver Moderator

Hi Spotify,

I was able to solve this issue by following the guidelines provided in this thread. However, the process was far from intuitive. I would suggest adding playlist sorting options to the main menu. Doesn't it make sense to include all app settings/options in one location?

Thank you for your consideration.

Best,

Thomas

Hi there @jttkach,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community.

We're glad to know that it was sorted out for your and appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. We'll make sure to pass it on the right folks.

If you need a hand with anything else, we're always a post away.

Cheers!

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Suggested posts