Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playlist folder takes very long time to load

Solved!

Playlist folder takes very long time to load

Hi @ all,

i have a playlist folder with about 320 Playlists in it (one per album), and i like to open the playlist folder selct "all tracks" and push "shuffle" to listen to all of these albums randomly.

That works, but i have this issue where i open that playlist folder going to "all tracks" and then it takes a very long time to load all of the tracks that are inside that folder. Sometimes it takes about 2 minutes to load all the tracks.

So after 2 minutes i am finaly able to play these songs, but then when i stop listening to these tracks for a while and my phone goes to standby for about an hour and i switch it on and start playing, all these tracks have to load up again, and i have to wait these 2 minutes again until all the tracks are loaded.

So could it be that Spotify has a Problem with huge amounts of tracks inside playlist folders?

Other folders with about 10 Playlists are very fast at loading, and that stanby thing isnt a problem there.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

It could be down to the folder structure since I don't see the problem on my Note 3 with large playlists. What happens if you create a genre playlist by copying all the tracks from one of your genre folders into it and shuffle play that instead?

View solution in original post

8 Replies

It certainly sounds like this is down to the sheer number of tracks it has to populate and display album covers for. What model phone are you using? Have you considered adding the albums to My Music instead? You can then access all the tracks from the "songs" tab. Not sure if they will load any quicker but might be worth  try.

It probably is, how many tracks would you say are in there? With playlists capped at 10k tracks each, I don't think the app will have been optimized for a huge number of tracks.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Ive checked the playlists and came to the following conclusion:

There are 347 Playlists in that Folder, each playlist holds an avg of 13 tracks so i have about 4511 (+/- 300) Tracks in my waiting queue.

Device is a Note 3 and i have a 4G connection all the time.

Actualy i dont want to try that "My Songs" feature because it will mess up my whole library.

My structure is as follows:

Genre (Folder)

- Album (Playlist)

- Tracks

Might be worth splitting the folder into two smaller ones temporarily to see if that makes any difference?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

So, i tried different things, splitting etc. and i found out that the problem is caused by the album art pictures. I can reproduce this at any time. I open a playlist folder, and the first thing i see is just a little note picture where the album art should be, and when i open the plylist itself there are no tracks listed in it.

So i wait a moment for the album arts to load, and when that is done i can play the tracks inside the playlist folder. So i think that spotify checks the content of the playlists and makes sure it still is available and loads up the album art for it. That takes a long time for over 320 albums. That declares why i always have to wait so long before i can start playing all my playlists in one folder with the "shuffle" function.

Is there any way to get this solved?

I could make a video of that behaviour for you guys to better understand what i mean... Just say it if you want one...

Marked as solution

It could be down to the folder structure since I don't see the problem on my Note 3 with large playlists. What happens if you create a genre playlist by copying all the tracks from one of your genre folders into it and shuffle play that instead?

That worked for me, so im going to create genre playlists with all the tracks of one folder in it. Thx for the tip. 😉

Glad we managed to find a solution - enjoy your music 🙂

Suggested posts