Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playlist has too many tracks for offline mode?

Playlist has too many tracks for offline mode?

I have a playlist that just went over 3000 tracks and now when it syncs it says "Too many tracks selected for offline mode". Is there a limit?

29 Replies

The limit is 3333.
No one knows why, my guess is it's just a number that some music industry exec pulled out of their arse during negotiations with Spotify 🙂

I Think it's a big mistake. Only 3333 songs????  And about those who have high-capacity devices like the ipod touch 64gb?  !What a **uh-oh**!!!!

@N57Rush wrote:

I Think it's a big mistake. Only 3333 songs????  And about those who have high-capacity devices like the ipod touch 64gb?  !What a **uh-oh**!!!!

What a uh-oh? That filter is actually quite funny 😉

Like Steve said - noone knows why....

The limit is 3,333 tracks per device, and the maximum amount of devices on an account is 3. So, the limit per account is in the region of 9,999.
Airhorn Enthusiast

I have a few playlists on my phone that add up to about 250-350 tracks.

My phone keeps telling me that I need to un sync some of my playlists because there are too many songs. Is the limit different with the mobile app?

Thanks

Nope, the limit is 3,333 for any device. However, you may be running out of space on your phone - Try clearing up some space and trying the process again.
Airhorn Enthusiast

So Spotify is still no solution to keep all your music wherever you want... Argh, that's a shame for those like me who have an iPod with a lot of capacity.. or an android phone with 80GB 😕

Shame  it doesn't. And no, this is probably the people from Spotify making this rule.. So if one needed offline access to their songs, they would still need a ripping tool to get them out of Spotify I guess? This is gonna take a while.. I liked Spotify until this message popped up....

Everyone likes Spotify until the one thing about it they find that they don't.  For me, it was the fact that I can't seem to search offline unless I have a PC or that there's no option to say "Don't Like" or "thumbs down" unless I'm listening to the radio.

Even so..... there's not much good choice for subscription music on iOS without it..... rDio doesn't let you sync your own tracks not available to its service.... and the others don't sync as well as Spotify seems to across devices.

Well, I do love Spotify, regardless of the occaisional issue. The latest update has forced me to revert to an old version. The re-install has disconnected my offline cache & therefore I have had to delete & then re-sync my offline cache. Seems, I have chosen more tracks to be available offline than I had previously selected....which has led me to this thread.

I do think 3333 tracks is far too small. I am over 3333 now, so how can I go forward? Be more selective by spending hours creating playlists?...nope, not gonna happen.

My good friend continually tells me Spotify is not that profitable & maybe that is a partial reason?

There is no limit on how many tracks you can have in a playlist, or the number of playlists you have.

The 3,333 track limit only applies to offline content which if you listened to back to back is about 9 days of content! 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

You can also have three devices with offline data on them - each with a different set of 3333 offline tracks, so 9999 in total.
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

Unlimited # of playlists is great. 

Multiple devices, is great for some. Personally I typically use one main computer for work. I can spend up to 14 hrs per day working on this main computer. I listen to Spotify while working about 85% of the time. 9 days is just over a week. I do use the Spotify "What's New" to add new releases & I am constantly adding to my yearly pools of new releases. This means my playlists are growing. I also (very) often work from a location with a very, very slow internet speed; too slow to stream without constant drop out pauses for buffering. I very occaisionally use another device, usually only one other device. I am talking, maybe, 5 times per year. I would happily use only one device for offline mode for 9999 offline tracks....which is still potentially limited to one month's worth of audio entertainment. Random playback does help. Spotify's unreliable performance when deleting tracks from playlists issue does discourage me from deleting tracks.

I am not happy to find out about this cap; I was clearly just flying under the radar. This doesn't mean I will stop using Spotify. When an unlimted offline availability service becomes available, I will likely switch, tho. Especially if said service has no connection to facebook!

dear spotify, unlimited the number of offline tracks. 60GB space and 3333 tracks mismatch

Hey there.

This limit of 3,333 tracks is from record labels.

If you want to stream online, you can try lower music quality, if you're on limited internet.

Party doesn't stop tonight!

I have an extremely slow connection out in the sticks in France, like dial-up speed...56k-ish. I will listen to the cache...as long as I can log into to spotify & it doesn't crash! Latest version is working fine for me at the mo....I am at my fast connection location tho. Anyway, thanks for the tip on listening with lower quality.

Spotify does not stream on mobile with GPRS.

You need at least EDGE or 3G. In speed this is:

96 kbps sound, at least 0.10M, recommended 0.15M.

160 kbps sound, at least 0.20M, recommended 0.25M.

320 kbps sound, at least 0.38M (384 kbps), recommended 0.5M or faster.

Have a nice day!

i hit 3380? lol

Any local files or duplicate tracks in that playlist 😛 ?

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Suggested posts