Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playlist with online and offline files without downloading online ones

Solved!

Playlist with online and offline files without downloading online ones

Hello,

I created a playlist on Spotify Desktop. I first added my local files to this playlist.

Afterwards, on my mobile phone I opened Spotify and began to download my local files from that playlist, to have them available for offline playing.

Later I added to that playlist the online files I collected in my personal library.

So, Spotify began to sync the playlist and immediatly started downloading those online files.

Why?

Why do I have to download even online files in a playlist containg both offline and online files? Why can't Spotify just stream online files without downloading them?

Is there an option to deny downloading of online files, apart from that ON/OFF button in the playlist?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Unfortunately spotify only allows downloading playlists or albums and not individual songs so adding music to a playlist where the download switch is turned on will result in the new songs being downloaded automatically.

If you add one of your local files to a new playlist and don't download the playlist, the local file should still be playable as it has already been downloaded to your device. If I got this right, the answer is to create a new playlist containing your local files and any other music you want to add and it should all be playable without downloading.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Marked as solution

Unfortunately spotify only allows downloading playlists or albums and not individual songs so adding music to a playlist where the download switch is turned on will result in the new songs being downloaded automatically.

If you add one of your local files to a new playlist and don't download the playlist, the local file should still be playable as it has already been downloaded to your device. If I got this right, the answer is to create a new playlist containing your local files and any other music you want to add and it should all be playable without downloading.

Well, I tried this solution and... It works!

You got it right! In the new playlist, all local files previously downloaded in the old (and still existing) playlist can still be played! For the online files, Spotify simply streams that!

Can't believe the solution was so simple!

Thank you very much! 😄

You're welcome 🙂

Suggested posts