Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playlists keeps refreshing, music stops, samsung galaxy s5

Solved!

Playlists keeps refreshing, music stops, samsung galaxy s5

Sendt this as mail to Spotify user support. Anny ideas/ other people strugling with this? (May be some bad grammar/spelling mistakes, I'm Norwegian)

When I'm in the playlist menu it just keeps refreshing everything. Making the music stop, playlist names reload, everything reloades. This hapends when I'm in a playlist too- just keeps refreshing, over and over, until the Spotify app freezes. If I want to use Spotify, I have to open, go fast into a playlist (before it starts to refresh), and select a song fast inside the playlist, before it starts to refresh there too. The app only works when I'm in the current song window, or just playing music in the background. There's a lot of people experiencing this problem, and this is NOT what we pay each month for. We need a music app that works, and for a lot of users, Spotify doesn't. How do we fix this? WHEN are Spotify going to fix this?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Same here on my nexus 5. its a software problem. Theres another thread with similar porblems but spotify are doing nothing to correct it

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Okay I finally got the issue fixed...

I started by e-mailing back and forth with Spotify's tech support.  They had me try uninstalling and reinstalling the Spotify app on my phone (which I had already previously tried), and doing a soft reset of my phone.  That didn't help.

Then they had me log onto their test account.  The problem did not reoccur once I was logged onto their test account, which suggested that the problem was caused by my account, rather than with my phone.

Once I knew that, I tried logging back into my own account on my phone, and I watched more carefully this time to what was going on when my playlists attemtped to load.  I noticed that there was one particular playlist that said it contained zero songs, which was incorrect because it actually contained 90 songs.  All the other playlists were displaying the correct number of songs, in the few seconds before all the playlists disappeared and attempted to reload.

So I logged onto Spotify on my computer (not my phone), and un-followed that one playlist that was showing the incorrect number of songs.  It was the Starred playlist of one of my friends who I follow, so it was called "Starred by <my friend's name>."

Then I logged back onto my own account on my phone, and it worked!

I then went back into my friend's profile, using my computer, and re-followed her Starred playlist, and my phone instantly started malfunctioning again.  So I deleted the playlist again, and it fixed the issue again.  So the problem was definitely with that one playlist.  I have no idea what could have been the problem with that playlist--I can only surmise that it has something to do with how Spotify changed the way Starred song selections now work in their recent update.

View solution in original post

20 Replies
Marked as solution

Same here on my nexus 5. its a software problem. Theres another thread with similar porblems but spotify are doing nothing to correct it

I have been having the same problem for almost 2 weeks now and cannot seem to find a solution online...

Well I'm sure a lot of people are starting to move on to WIMP or such then. Glad to hear it's not my device thats causing the problem, but seriosly, i feel for all you other people out there. Making me get tics ffs.

Just tweeted at SpotifyCares so we'll see what they say...

@ssmurfen wrote:
Sendt this as mail to Spotify user support. Anny ideas/ other people strugling with this? (May be some bad grammar/spelling mistakes, I'm Norwegian)

When I'm in the playlist menu it just keeps refreshing everything. Making the music stop, playlist names reload, everything reloades. This hapends when I'm in a playlist too- just keeps refreshing, over and over, until the Spotify app freezes. If I want to use Spotify, I have to open, go fast into a playlist (before it starts to refresh), and select a song fast inside the playlist, before it starts to refresh there too. The app only works when I'm in the current song window, or just playing music in the background. There's a lot of people experiencing this problem, and this is NOT what we pay each month for. We need a music app that works, and for a lot of users, Spotify doesn't. How do we fix this? WHEN are Spotify going to fix this?

Exact same problem here, with my Samsung Galaxy S5, running Android 4.4.2, ever since the v.1.0.0.82 update a couple of weeks ago.  I tried all the recommended troubleshooting steps, but nothing helped.

I read in one of the other threads on this topic that the problem might be with one or more particular playlists that might be causing the problem, so I tried deleting all of my larger playlists.  That didn't help.  I do still have a couple of remaining large playlists, "Starred," (180 songs) and "Liked From Radio" (555 songs), but I don't want to delete those because I have no way of restoring them if it doesn't help.  It could very well be my Liked From Radio playlist that is causing the problem, if it's having too much trouble syncing that many song titles, though I never had this issue with it before the update.

Don't try deleting those lists! I read that tread about deleting large lists too, tried the starred list, and "restore", same songs ass starred, didn't help. The largest list I've got now is with about 50-10 songs, and I can't imagine that being a problem.. Thats a list I've subscribed to as well, and it's not on download. Just recomending- do not delete the lists.

Posted using the Spotify Community app by Liam

It should say 50-100*, don't know how to edit/delete coment in the community app..

Thanks for the advice about not deleting my remaining playlists, ssmurphen.  I guess I'll just wait until Spotify releases an update to fix the issue.

Not sure if it will be the same for you guys, but I was having issues with the latest release causing a crash on my S4.

I removed Spotify and all of it's folders manually, then rebooted the phone and installed again from GP and it started working.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

That was one of the first things I tried, Peter, when I first noticed this issue, but unfortunately it didn't fix it for me.  Thanks for the suggestion though--maybe it will help others.

I'm trying to see if I can get anymore details about this issue from the Spotify team for you guys too.

Appreciate it is hugely annoying, I was only out for like 15 minutes whilst I fixed it on my device and was ready to just smash the phone haha.

Peter

Here is the answer i got from Spotify on email (after they asked for; make and model, operating system being used and version of Spotify. Which btw is:
Make/model: Samsung Galaxy S5 / SM-G900F
OP: Android 4.4.2 
Spotify: 1.0.1.984

Answer from Spotify:
Hey there,

Thanks for the information!

Can you try a clean reinstallation of the app, please?

You can find instructions about how to do that here: https://support.spotify.com/uk/learn-more/faq/#!/article/reinstallation-of-spotify

If this doesn't work please could you try logging into our test account?

<snip>

Let us know of this fixes the problems with your account, please?

We look forward to hearing from you!
Best wishes,
Emily 
Spotify Customer Support

This was the first thing I tried when i got the problem, but for some reason, it actually worked now! (I cleared cache and everything to before deleting).

[Edit: Removing account details - Peter]

Just going to hide those account details, they are for your eyes only. 😉

Peter

Aah didn't realise that! Thanks..

Thanks for the update, ssmurfen.  I just tried unistalling and reinstalling Spotify again (something I had already tried several times back when I first experienced the problem), but it didn't help this time either.  I'm glad it did for you though!

I just e-mailed Spotify's tech support, so if they send me their test account login credentials, I'll try that and report back here.

Well I'm sorry it didn't work for you. Yeah please do, still a lot of people looking for an answer to this problem.. Good luck!
Marked as solution

Okay I finally got the issue fixed...

I started by e-mailing back and forth with Spotify's tech support.  They had me try uninstalling and reinstalling the Spotify app on my phone (which I had already previously tried), and doing a soft reset of my phone.  That didn't help.

Then they had me log onto their test account.  The problem did not reoccur once I was logged onto their test account, which suggested that the problem was caused by my account, rather than with my phone.

Once I knew that, I tried logging back into my own account on my phone, and I watched more carefully this time to what was going on when my playlists attemtped to load.  I noticed that there was one particular playlist that said it contained zero songs, which was incorrect because it actually contained 90 songs.  All the other playlists were displaying the correct number of songs, in the few seconds before all the playlists disappeared and attempted to reload.

So I logged onto Spotify on my computer (not my phone), and un-followed that one playlist that was showing the incorrect number of songs.  It was the Starred playlist of one of my friends who I follow, so it was called "Starred by <my friend's name>."

Then I logged back onto my own account on my phone, and it worked!

I then went back into my friend's profile, using my computer, and re-followed her Starred playlist, and my phone instantly started malfunctioning again.  So I deleted the playlist again, and it fixed the issue again.  So the problem was definitely with that one playlist.  I have no idea what could have been the problem with that playlist--I can only surmise that it has something to do with how Spotify changed the way Starred song selections now work in their recent update.

Well, for me the problem is back, now with more issues. Super! Getting frkn sick of this sh*t.

Sendt this to the support team.

"Well, the problem is back. And now the app even turns of download on all downloaded lists each time it refresh/reloads (which is around each 5sec).

How can you make me pay for a service that doesen't work the way it claims?

A lot of users is issued with this, which gains you free money. We pay each month to have a premium user profile on your music service, but the service do not work; I, and a lot of other users give you money for nothing. The least Spotify could do, as a giant within music providing, is to give users who have faced this issue a free month of subscribtion.

I think it's really sad that we no longer can trust your service to work. 'Going for a road trip? Want music along the ride?' Well, as of for now, Spotify would actually be the worst program you could use. You newer know when the app will stop working, you newer know when your trusted music provider will stop doing what it says it will do if you pay for it: providing music."

@ GhostX : THANK YOU !!!

I had the exact same issue as ssmurfen, which was "When I'm in the playlist menu it just keeps refreshing everything. Making the music stop, playlist names reload, everything reloads."

Two of my playlists were displaying "0 song" (I hadn't noticed before reading your post).They were both "Starred" playlists of 2 different friends.

After unfollowing them on my PC, Android app on my Galaxy S5 worked perfectly.

If you have the problem then try first to unfollow your friends' "Starred" playlists on a computer before spending hours reinstalling the app and reseting your phone....

Suggested posts