Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playlists screen constantly refreshing

Playlists screen constantly refreshing

Under Your Music the Playlists screen is constantly reloading to the point that it is unusable. This started happening with the most recent update for both myself and my wife.  If you go the Playlists page it shows a placeholder row for each playlist for a second with the word Loading... then it shows the playlist info, then back to loading, then the playlist info, then back to Loading. It goes like this forever.

I initially thought it might be an issue with the network since I was on cellular when it started, but when I got home it does the same on wifi. My wifes at that time was working as her Spotify had not updated. When her spotify updated, same thing for her.

I've tried logging out and back in on both phones, we even went into the account and deleted the devices. I then cleared the cache and data for the app, and after that didn't work uninstalled it completely. Tonight, for completely unrelated reasons, I completely wiped the phone entirely. After loading it all back up with a fresh ROM I decided to give Spotify a try again and it's still doing it. At this point I'm fairly certain the problem isn't on this end. Is there something that could be wrong with the account itself to cause this? It's not inactive or unpaid or anything, and the desktop app works fine.

I've managed now to click fast enough in between refreshes to have it download one, and after doing that the Playlist screen is blank and the UI is frozen. I can't get it to do anything. Hopefully when it's done downloading I'll be able to at least do something with it.

10 Replies

Just to update, it did download that one playlist, but the UI remained frozen. Had to kill the app from the system settings.

Restarted it and still the same issue. I once again managed to start downloading one for offline and again when you go back from that playlist to the list of playlists the section where they should be listed is empty and the UI freezes.

Is there somewhere to download the previous android version from until this gets fixed?

Hi. What model phone are you using and which android version? Are you using a custom ROM - if so, which one?

You can probably find old version .apks with Google search but, obviously, installing an .apk from a third party source can be risky.

Both of us are using Google Nexus 5. Mine did have a custom ROM until last night (CM 10) but I went back to stock (which is 4.4.2 now I think). Hers is completely stock and always has been. Haven't even unlocked the bootloader on it.

As for the old versions, I was hoping for an official repository from Spotify. I'm not sure I'd trust any third party source for it without at least some offical checksums to compare against and a boatload of reviews.

Edit: Oops, apparently I switched accounts at some point. This is not the account that's having trouble though. It's not premium so I haven't tried it.

Well the issue is resolved, but unfortunately I'm not entirely sure what the exact cause was. I was going to try removing her playlists one at a time tonight to see if doing so fixed it, but when I got home from work she had already removed all the ones she was following, at which point it started working again. So one of the playlists she had on follow was the issue, but we'll never know which one.

Is there any sort of log I could use to generate some sort of useful bug report or is it too late now to do anything?

There isn't a log created by spotify I'm afraid. Good to know it's fixed although I'm still not sure what the issue was. The screen refreshing may have been caused by a playlist with a very large number of tracks - I've seen occasional screen redraws as spotify refreshed content. Usually, it sorted itself out after a time, probably after the data was added to the cache.

I have the exact same problem on my nexus 5. The 'your music' page just refreshes beyond usability. 

Any ideas on how to fix this?

I have tried deleting all data and reinstalling the app

Sorry, jor. We never did find the cause either. In our case after removing some followed playlists it was fixed, but since lots of them were removed at once we have no idea which one had caused it or why. If you've got any followed playlists as well my best advice would be to remove them one at a time until it stops happening. Then just add back the ones where removing them didn't fix it. You could even re-add the one that did fix it to see if the problem comes back. That would make it really conclusive as to what the issue is.

If you don't have any followed lists then it could be one of your own lists, but that'd be a bigger pain to test since you can't just re-add them so removing them at random could cause you more of a headache than it's worth.

Thanks

Yeah ive FIXED the isse now.

I deleted playlists and it seemed to solve the issue.

As for which ones, i dont think its necesarily followed playlists, maybe just large ones, as i had a followed playlist withabout 100 songs in it that i think was causing the problem

Having the same exact problem with a nexus 5...

same here. App is unuseable

Suggested posts