Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Please don't make me cancel

Please don't make me cancel

I used to download songs and played them on my phone. Until I got Spotify Premium. I haven't downloaded a tune since then. Problem is, I'm not satisfied at all. I pay for two subscriptions in my family and quite often I have people over who uses their own Spotify on my connection. I seem to be the only one with a problem. It started a few weeks ago. Starting the app takes forever, searching takes up to a minute, sometimes more. I can't navigate the menues because they won't open, it's like the app struggles to operate. Songs take 30 seconds to start. Downloading them takes twice as long as before. I don't, however, have any problems with buffering or stutter when I finally get them to play.
I'm on a 100/10 fiber connection with an Xperia Arc S that I just did a factory reset on. I've got quite a bit if working memory on it and an app that constantly boosts my phone.
What could be wrong? As I mentioned before, I seem to be the only one in the house that experiences this. You could easily blame my.phone, but this problem started after the latest update.
4 Replies

Hi. Could you please post details of the android and sporify versions you are using. Just a quick shot in the dark but do you have Collection and have you been using it?

Hi again and thanks for your response.

No I don't have collection, isn't that still in beta?

Some tech stuff:

Sony Xperia Arc S

Model number: LT18i

Android Version: 4.0.4

134 MB internal memory

3.81 GB external memory

Spotify version: 0.7.2.402-g40e8dcb4

All my other apps are working fine, even graphically heavy games are running great and without hiccups.

It's gotten so bad now that I hardly could reach the "Settings" menu to check for Spotify version. I'm gonna uninstall and re-install (again) to see what happens. Oh, and I did a broadband check and I'm on 80% capacity through my WiFi.

Cheers!

Hi and thanks for the additional details. Yes collection is in beta but some folk seem to have it even though they didn't sign up for the programme so it was worth checking.

It sounds like your mobile processor is struggling and android ICS was never the smoothest of android versions. If you still have problems after reinstalling, all I can suggest is to make sure that no other apps are running and leave spotify running for 5 minutes without playing anything to see if it stablises.

If that doesn't help, get in touch with spotify support, using the online contact form, to see if they have any ideas. If you get an automated response directing you back to the community or to the help pages, make sure to reply to it directly to speed things along.

Hi,

As a former Arc S owner, I might chime in... Unfortunately, the phone is too slow, and you're unlikely to get it to work.

I had troubles starting a couple of years ago with one Spotify upgrade or another. It was extremely slow in every operation, and would often crash when I tried to play music in the background. I tried all sorts of tricks on mine, including wiping it and installing a stripped-down version of Android. Nothing could get Spotify working reliably. I think they just don't develop with such slow processors as targets anymore. Or possibly it's the lack of available memory on the Arc (320 MB i I recall correctly), which makes it run so poorly.

I've since upgraded to a newer phone and the app has no problem anymore.

Suggested posts