Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Pops and Clicks in Playback

Pops and Clicks in Playback

I've noticed intermittent popping and clicking when listening to playlists, both downloaded and streaming. It appears to be tied to certain actions on my phone which is a Verizon Galaxy Nexus running 4.2.2 Build JDQ39.

It seems to happen more when I tap on UI elemnts on my phone, like the home button or on different things within that app or other apps. The popping and clicking can range in frequency and intensity. Sometimes, there can be a brief stutter alltogether. I followed the troubleshooting instructions posted here:

[Android] Troubleshooting Spotify

but the problem persists. I know it's not my headphones because I've tried a different pair, plus I've tried other music players. I do not see this behavior in Google Music, Pandora, DoubleTwist, or Rhapsody.

Please let me know how I can troubleshoot this. Below is the rest of the template from the previously mentioned post filled in with my info.

What type of account do you have?

Premium (30 day trial)

(FYI for the below points: Android devices tend to refer to the internal memory as "SD Card" and the SD card you inserted yourself as "External SD Card")

Space left on your device

10.22 GB

Is your device rooted?

No

Are you using a custom ROM, if so which one, exactly?

No

Did you set your external SD card as storage location?

N/A

Did you manually install an older version before installing the latest version from the Play Store?

No

Do you have the same issue when switching between WiFi/Mobile Data (If applicable)?

Yes

If you said "No", when does the issue not occur?

N/A

My mobile Spotify version

My desktop Spotify version (if applicable)

N/A

My mobile provider and country

Verizon USA

Do you have a Spotify (non-Facebook) login?

No

Are you logging in with Facebook or with your Spotify login details?

Facebook

7 Replies

Have you tried going to your phone settings and turning off touch sounds or whatever they're called on your phone. I mean the clicks it makes whenever you press a soft key.

I did try that, but it did not change anything. I can still hear the popping and clicking during playback.

Just to be clear, tapping on things in the UI only seems to make the problem worse sometimes. It is not how the problem occurs. Over the weekend, I had a lot of driviing to do. So I was playing spotify from my phone through the car's sterero using an AUX cable and I could hear the same popping and clicking. It's much more obvious (and sometimes painful!) when using headphones.

Any other tips greatly appreciated!

If you haven't already tried this, could you do a clean reinstall following the steps in this troubleshooting guide.

Yes, that was one of the first things I tried. Unfortunately nothing changed.

I can understand how frustrating this must be for you and I'm out of ideas so I think your best course of action is to  submit an online contact form and someone at Spotify can look into it for you. If you get an automated reply, make sure to reply to it directly (even if it's from a no reply) and it will be sent to the Spotify staff.

I'd love to know how this pans out 🙂

Thanks for the tip. I just submitted the form. I'll posted back any solution I might get,

I contacted Spotify through twitter because I had the popping as well as the skipping when playing through my car audio deck and headphones at work. You will need to clear your offline devices here:
https://www.spotify.com/us/account/offline-devices/

Next you will need to uninstall the Spotify app, then clear your cache from the phone with a separate app (some phones have a built-in cleaner).

Once that is done, you reinstall the Spotify app and re-download your music

I was told by Spotify that there were duplicate offline devices that are listed in which would cause the issues as the app grabs information. Once I did everything above, the issues went away. Hope this helps.

Suggested posts