Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Premium doesn't work offline

Premium doesn't work offline

Spotify Premium flatly doesn't work offline.  If you open the app when offline, sometimes it just says you're offline, and shows nothing.  If you have a playlist playing and your cell network goes flaky, it'll simply fail to play further songs.  It'll hang as it switches tracks.  It'll play 3 tracks and then fail to shuffle more tracks, and just have the playlist end until it can get a connection.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, rebooting the phone, and toggling airplane mode.  It simply doesn't play songs offline.  It downloads all these songs to the device for offline mode, then simply can't play the playlist offline?  How does that make any sense?  I mean it's nice it saves me bandwidth, but what's the point if it won't play the next song until the network comes back?

Sometimes, when it decides it doesn't want to play a song, I have to just skip to the next one.  It refuses to play that song until I kill and restart Spotify.

2 Replies

Hey @bluefoxicy,

You should enable Offline Mode, by clicking the 'hamburger' icon (top left, next to 'Your Library' text), then the settings 'wheel' icon.

Under Playback you'll find the Offline switch, which will toggle Offline mode On and Off.

Hope it helps. 🙂

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Wait.  You're telling me that the thing detects you're offline, says you're offline, fails to work, and requires you to go offline to work?  Then, it won't play any songs except offline songs until you reconfigure it to be online?

There's no "Just work if workable" mode; it's basically "Just fail if offline, or just don't even try if online"?

Why is Spotify not smart enough to just operate in Offline mode if you're playing from a downloaded playlist and the network decides to be flaky?  Why does enabling Offline mode break Spotify for everything that requires Online mode until you turn it back to Online mode?

Who thought it was acceptable to require the user to give up functionality if intermittent failure is expected, or to accept that the application may simply not work in case of network failure even though it can operate in a failure mode if it hasn't been configured to give up said functionality completely?

Suggested posts