Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Premium member, but only shuffle play available on mobile

Solved!

Premium member, but only shuffle play available on mobile

I'm a Premium member through a family plan. I'm using a Pixel 3, using Android version 9.

I can log in just fine on my desktop and laptop and Premium shows up and works just fine. But when I log in on my Android, all of my playlists and everything are there, but I don't have the option to play albums straight through; just shuffle. 

I've confirmed that the shuffle icon is not selected.

Why is my Premium account not working on my phone? I've tried logging out and logging back in, and deleting and reinstalling the app. 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Thanks for the attempted help, Guido. As I'd mentioned, I had tried logging out and logging back in, so I was certain that I was in the correct account.

It turns out, though, that the "SHUFFLE PLAY" icon displays prominently on mobile devices, giving the implication that that's your only play option. However, I eventually figured out that I could, in fact, just play an album not on shuffle play.

So the issue is really a UX one -- because the SHUFFLE PLAY button was so huge and prominent, it appeared as though that was my only play option, but I was actually able to play what I wanted.

So this issue is solved -- kind of, because I think the UX issue is an important one, but it turns out that this was a UX issue and not some kind of technical one.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

I'm using a Pixel 2 and having the same problem.

Hey @leighvh and @knirish 

Thanks for getting in touch!

It's very easy to create an account with us. So it's not unusual that some users have a secondary account without knowing about it. Take a look at this page that helps you locate these accounts.

Once you are certain which account is your Premium account, try logging out from all devices and then logging back in using the same login credentials.

You can also try a quick reinstallation using these steps.

Hope it will help! Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day 🙂

Hi Guido,
I've tried logging out and back in on both my laptop and phone as well as
uninstalling and reinstalling the app on my phone. Additionally, I've
cleared the cache for the app on my phone and confirmed when logged in that
it says I am correctly logged into the family premium account. None of this
changes the fact that it only allows me to shuffle play things on my phone.
I have a Pixel 2.

Thanks.
Marked as solution

Thanks for the attempted help, Guido. As I'd mentioned, I had tried logging out and logging back in, so I was certain that I was in the correct account.

It turns out, though, that the "SHUFFLE PLAY" icon displays prominently on mobile devices, giving the implication that that's your only play option. However, I eventually figured out that I could, in fact, just play an album not on shuffle play.

So the issue is really a UX one -- because the SHUFFLE PLAY button was so huge and prominent, it appeared as though that was my only play option, but I was actually able to play what I wanted.

So this issue is solved -- kind of, because I think the UX issue is an important one, but it turns out that this was a UX issue and not some kind of technical one.

If this is true how come sometimes I can only shuffle on SOME albums but others I am able to pick and choose songs or listen top-down? Sometimes even with premium it doesn't let me.

Screenshot_20200724-041340_Spotify.jpg

Screenshot_2020-07-24-20-08-02-66_0438eb925998df20b3482ec25499d226.jpg

I've noticed this issue particularly with Taylor Swift albums. I have a premium subscription and I can play almost any album without shuffle. But I am unable to play ablums from some artists without shuffle. So, is there a way to play these album without shuffle?

Hey there @Omar6iii and @Rakoontay,

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here! 

With an active Premium subscription you should be able to turn off shuffle for all albums. It might be the case that you are accidentally logged in to another, free account. We recommend that you log out and back in with your Premium Account. If the issue persists, you should also perform a clean reinstall of the app. 

If that doesn't fix things, you can post a screenshot of your account overview page. Make sure to hide any personal or sensitive information. You can use the Insert Photos option in the post editor to do this. 

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted how you get on.

Have a great day!

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I have the same issue.

Spotify premium on android. Logged out, logged back in, 7ninstalled, reinstalled.

Confirmed logged in on premium account.

Pick a playlist and the only play option is Shuffle play. There is no straight play button. Only way us to hit shuffle and then go to now playing and turn off shuffle from there. But that means it only plays in order from that track. 

So, if there are 9 songs in a playlist, shuffle starts on #4, doing the above plays only songs 4-9. 

The user interface leaves a lot to be desired.

From your post, it seems there us a way though, but I cant figure it out. The shuffle button is the only one I see. 

1. Sounds like you found a way, what was it? 

Hi there @devnullca,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

Have you tried clicking on the first song in the playlist? It should start playing the songs one after the other, even though you have the big green Shuffle button on top.

If that's not the case, can you send us a screenshot of how a playlist looks from your end.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Clicking the first song in the album does start the album in sequence without shuffling the songs. I would agree with others that the UI would be better suited to default with a green PLAY button versus SHUFFLE PLAY. In my opinion, when listening to an entire album, listening in the order of its creation is preferred.

Suggested posts