Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Problems with Samsung S3

Problems with Samsung S3

As mentioned in my previous post couple of weeks back, I do have constant issues with Spotify.

I have Galaxy S3, Android 4.3. App is crashing, downloaded playlist or albums don't work. I factory reset my phone, changed SD cards etc was trying everything however it is the app. Basically it sucks. I can not believe that you don't have a working app at this stage. I'm really pissed off. Maybe it would be better if you write the app from scratch. This is rubbish.

I can not even use it when I'm on wifi - it tells me no internet connection. Then it crashes, then same thing. App was sort of working before this weeks update. The offline issue was nonstop there but at least I could use it when online. Sucks.

Kind regards,

Martin Weiss

17 Replies

Hi everyone,

I don't know where should I start. Anyway. I have Samsung Galaxy S3 (O2 Ireland) atm running on Andorid 4.3 which I've updated only few days ago (12.11.2013). With previous Android 4.1.? the app was crashing, it was switching off and on my wifi, offline mode never worked etc. In other words - crap. I unistalled it. After the Android 4.3 realease I was pleased that it will sort all this issues. However I'm still experiencing lot of problems. Offline mode doesn't work at all. Let's say I do have a playlist with 2 tracks only. I'm on wifi. Download this playlist. It says it's downloaded no problem. When I switch off my wifi and data (leaving the app open), switch to offline mode in the settings I press to play a track but there's no sound .. gauge is showing that it's playing the song however no sound, no artwork. When I hit next track same thing. No artwork, no sound.

When I close the app properly (still without any data) and try to open it again it asks me for login. I can't login obviously because I have no data. It pops up a message "Disable offline mode - To connect to Spotify, please turn off the Offline mode". I can't log in and nothing works. Basically I can't use offline mode which I was really looking for beacuse I'm always on the road.

Another thing is artwork - it looks like it's downloading everytime I log in to Spotify. Is this normal behaviour?

Update of the app is needed.

Disappointed.

Martin

@berocore I moved your posts into their own thread so they don't get lost in the thread about offline issues. Your issues seem to go much further.

Could you please post the spotify version you're using and confirm whether or not you have the Collection feature so I can work out the best way to fix your spotify. Thanks.

I do have a collection tab and from there I can select albums, playlists etc.
My Spotify version is: 0.7.3.636.ga3aacdd3

Thanks.

Just out of interest, did Collection just appear or did you apply for the beta programme? If you didn't apply to beta test it, please let me have your username so I can pass it on to Spotify (you can PM me if you prefer).

If you want to keep Collection, the way to fix the lag, slow startup, continuous refreshing and "no internet" messages is to clear the cache from spotify settings then restart your phone.

If Collection isn't inportant to you for now, remove everything from your Collection (this is quickest in the desktop client) then clear the cache and restart your phone. A long as Collection stays empty, spotify should run much more smoothly.

I'm a bit confused as to why some folk who haven't asked to beta test Collection are getting this feature anyway which is why I asked for your spotify username.

The Collection was alway there. I didn't apply for beta testing it looks like I'm the tester anyway 🙂

My spotify username is same as here: berocore

I've already cleared cache couple of times, it helps for a while I mean for a few minutes once you switch off wifi that's it same issue all over again.

The collection isn't important for me once I can get the app working on the phone with offline mode as well. I'll try to remove it and see how it goes.

Thanks for your help.

Martin

I have same issue as berocore. I have Galaxy S3 and Spotify has collection even though I am not a beta tester. I have downloaded playlists to the phone and can play the tracks when wifi and mobile data turned off. Today I tried using offline mode. On way to work in car all was fine. On way home however none of the tracks would play. I turned on mobile data, still wouldn't play. Tried to turn off offline mode. Slider moved to off, paused for a few seconds then slid back to on by itself. Message on screen said Spotify offline. Got home and turned on wifi, had same issue. Reset phone, no change. Un installed Spotify, re installed it logged in and finally offline mode was reset to off. I then had to download all play lists again.

Ok well I've removed everything as you mentioned all my collection. I've unistalled the app. Restarted phone, installed app and after I log in it goes straight to Collection selection and I do have overview tab where it shows most played stuff, artists tab - nothing there because I deleted everything and playlists tab which is empty as well. So I do have collection selection all the time.

M.

As long as you don't add anything to Collection, it should behave normally.

Guys. If you have collection but didn't sign up for the beta test, please can I have your spotify usernames so I can feed this back to spotify support. You can PM me, if you prefer.

Thanks.

Hi Joe,

see picture attached.

I always have Collection even when I delete everything.

Could you talk to Spotify support and ask them to get rid of me as a beta tester 🙂

Cheers.

Martin

Screenshot_2013-12-03-12-20-06.png

Hi jwylot. Generally collection is working really well. Im not a beta tester and my spotify user name is iconic66.

After this weeks update it seems to be "silky smooth" for me.

Artwork is loaded without any issues. Offline mode works all the time. In general it is stable.

Thanks Spotify for sorting it out.

Cheers.

Martin

I have had the same problem. Works fine with my ipod but not the S3.

Has this really been fixed? I just did a clean re-install of Spotify to see if that fixed my problem. Still nothing. To be specific, I have a fairly long list (1,050 tracks) saved to my external SD card. It will usually play 2 or 3 songs in a row with no problem, but it will stop playing for at least a couple of minutes afterwards, as if the app was having trouble streaming the song(which again, has already been downloaded to the phone so it shouldn't even be trying to stream anything). That can get extremely annoying when I try to listen in my car, as I will get a loud burst of static while the app is trying to figure things out (I listen in the car through an RF transmitter, since there is no aux input).

But the worst part is that sometimes if the screen turns off, it takes a few minutes for me to get the phone to respond again ( it won't come back on even if there's an incoming call!). This happens even if I'm streaming one of the non-downloaded lists. This also only started happening after I downloaded the list to the SD card. Please do look into this. In general Spotify premium is a pretty good deal and don't mind paying for it, but if the offline mode doesn't work properly there's little reason for me to keep paying for the premium version. Thanks!

Android version: 4.1.2

Spotify version: 1.3.0.423

3 weeks and not even an acknowledgement from anyone at Spotify. Should've known customer support was  a sad joke the moment I was directed to a message board instead of providing an actual CS contact.

Y'all seem to think this is no big deal but since use of the mobile app is now free, the offline mode is the only reason people pay to use this app so it should be the priority. Apparently your QA team disagrees. Any more of that and I'll find myself giving my money to someone who does agree.

I'm having similar issues. Really upset. Spotify used to be the one app I couldn't live without, beside email and maps. And now I'm having to live without it. I just get blank screens, the app is struggling to load any of my playlists, it turns blank, then tells me it's offline when it isn't. The only way I can get it to play anything is if I had the good fortune of downloading a playlist and I put my phone in airplane mode.

There also seems to be one phantom track that is forever trying to download, but I can't see it or find it or know where it is. It's in my starred list, I think. I used to have about 3k songs on my starred list, and in the old Spotify I had it set up to download all my starred tracks to my phone. I don't know if the giant list has anything to do with these issues but I'm upset I can no longer use Spotify smoothly. 

I'm on Samsung Galaxy S3, and I wouldn't know how to check which Spotify version I have, given that Spotify doesn't load easily (or at all)!

@suzanneyada wrote:

I'm having similar issues. Really upset. Spotify used to be the one app I couldn't live without, beside email and maps. And now I'm having to live without it. I just get blank screens, the app is struggling to load any of my playlists, it turns blank, then tells me it's offline when it isn't. The only way I can get it to play anything is if I had the good fortune of downloading a playlist and I put my phone in airplane mode.

There also seems to be one phantom track that is forever trying to download, but I can't see it or find it or know where it is. It's in my starred list, I think. I used to have about 3k songs on my starred list, and in the old Spotify I had it set up to download all my starred tracks to my phone. I don't know if the giant list has anything to do with these issues but I'm upset I can no longer use Spotify smoothly. 

I'm on Samsung Galaxy S3, and I wouldn't know how to check which Spotify version I have, given that Spotify doesn't load easily (or at all)!

Please read the guide linked below for details on getting a completely clean install of the Spotify app. This should be the first step and can help resolve issues such as:

- Black screen on startup
- Offline data not storing on SD card
- Random crashes or FC's
- Track degradation or skipping
- Playlists and tracks no longer available

[GUIDE] First step of troubleshooting - Clean Install

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Hi!

You have a PM from me.

Suggested posts