Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Queued Track "Playing" With No Audio

Queued Track "Playing" With No Audio

This seems to happen both on bluetooth and with an aux cable/headphones, but only sometimes - I cannot figure out what the deciding factor is to trigger the issue.

What happens is that I will start a playlist (usually, one saved offline), and then queue a few songs from within the playlist. However, after the first or second song finishes playing, the next song will "start", but no sound comes out - however, the seek bar is correctly keeping time. Dragging the seek bar back to the beginning of the song will start sound playing again.

I've already tried reinstalling Spotify and redownloading the playlist, but the issue persits.

I have a Sony Xperia Z5, running Androidd 5.1.1 (although I just upgraded to 6.0)

I have a premium spotify account.

The spotify version is 4.8.0.1004.

3 Replies

I'm having the same problem on my Kindle Fire.  And once one of the silent songs "plays," the playlist just stops right there (while set on both shuffle and repeat).  Hard to have a playlist on shuffle for concentration when every other song you have to go to the device and restart the playlist. 

This has been an ongoing problem with the Android player for some months now. If you browse the Android forum topics, it seems about a third of the topics are about the same bug.

Save yourself some time, the workarounds some people posted throughout the months (gapless/crossfade settings, deleting cache, reinstalling app, setting to high playback quality) don't work. I tried them all. Because the issue doesn't turn up deterministically, it's likely that people in their hopefulness were just too quick to accept whatever they changed as a workaround, before noticing that the problem will reappear.

From what I could observe, the issue seems to be related to network connectivity. I can have Spotify play for hours on end without problem if I'm on my home Wi-Fi. The issue always, and often, turns up when I'm using Spotify on my train commute, and usually around those regions where I know that network coverage is spotty. At about the same time as I started noticing this bug, I also started having the problem of Spotify often claiming it's offline when it actually isn't. For example, it will try to open the menu for 10 seconds before telling me that I need to be online to do that, despite having a strong signal and no other app having connectivity issues. If I'd have to guess, I think that the bug has to do with Spotify not properly reconnecting after having momentarily lost signal. (Starting "playback" silently and then resyncing as soon as the connection is back, is Spotify's default behaviour when the connection gets lost as a new song is supposed to start streaming. It just doesn't seem to manage to resync automatically anymore, you have to change tracks or move the seek bar to force it.)

Interesting, that could be part of the issue.  I've been seeing that "No Connection" message when I clearly have a connection as well.  I only use the device on my work's internet connection so I don't have other data to see if it's true of all connections, so I'll test that out and see if that changes anything. 

It also happens while playing offline material, though, but much less frequently now that I think about it. 

I'd browsed all the other threads as well, uninstalled, cleared everything, erased all the filse and re-downloaded, etc.  Nothing has changed the silent tracks. 

Suggested posts