Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Radio Playback freezes after liking a song

Solved!

Radio Playback freezes after liking a song

Description

When listening to a music on radio, playback and screen will lock up after liking a song.

Buttons work to an extent; you can pause playback/skip to next song, but playback will not resume.

What are the steps you took to get to the error/issue?

(We need to know what you are doing so we can do the exact same to try and get the same error)

1. Listen to radio station

2. pressed thumbs up on a song I liked or skipped to next song

3. Playback/screen lock up. no more music plays via radio and screen stays on "Improving station" screen.

What I expected to happen

I expect this to be resolved because I enjoy the radio function and this should not be locking up.

Did you restart your device when troubleshooting in section B?

Yes. Device was reset, error continues.

Did you read the connection troubleshooting tips?

yes

Your device

Samsung Galaxy S III

Device’s Operating System

Jellybean 4.1.1

What type of account do you have?

Free, Unlimited, Premium

(FYI for the below points: Android devices tend to refer to the internal memory as "SD Card" and the SD card you inserted yourself as "External SD Card")

Space left on your device

5.44 GB

Space left on your SD card (if applicable)

5.44 GB

Space left on your External SD card (if applicable)

9.55 GB

Is your device rooted?

Yes.

Are you using a custom ROM, if so which one, exactly?

No. ROM, Kernal and Bootloader are stock.

Did you set your external SD card as storage location?

no

Did you manually install an older version before installing the latest version from the Play Store?

no

Do you have the same issue when switching between WiFi/Mobile Data (If applicable)?

Yes

If you said "No", when does the issue not occur?

When using WiFi, 2G, 3G, 4G

My mobile Spotify version

My desktop Spotify version (if applicable)

n/a

My mobile provider and country

T-Mobile

My username

Jason

Do you have a Spotify (non-Facebook) login?

Yes

Are you logging in with Facebook or with your Spotify login details?

Spotify

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

At the moment it seems I may have solved the issue......It worked on BOTH of my devices I was having an issue with.

Go to your apps Manager, pull up Spotify and delete your cache, resart the phone. I didn't loose any of my playlists or downloaded songs as far as I can tell.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

I'm having the same issue. I hope they get this resolved.
Description: radio won't load at all, or when you like or dislike a track it will fail with a "this station cannot be started" message. Freezes on the improving station screen.

Steps taken: open the app, click on any radio station whether it's one previously listened to or a new one. Many times the station just wont load, or if it does clicking like or dislike results in the same error message and frozen screen.

What I expect: the station to improve and continue playback

Restart per section b? Yes

Read connection troubleshooting? Yes

Device: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Account type: premium

Space left on device: 7.88 Gb

Space left on SD: 11.75GB

Root? Yes

Rom? Cyanogen

External set as storage? No

Manually installed older version then upgraded? No, installation direct from play store.

Same issue between wifi and mobile data? Yes

Spotify version? 0.5.13.63 (0.7.1.5812.g77685925)

Provider and country? Sprint, USA

Logged in through Facebook as Adam Barham

Non - Facebook Spotify login? No

Logged in through Facebook

I don't have a screengrab

I found a few work arounds:

-When the playback stops, go out of the radio, play a song on demand and then resume radio. Example: I listen to a radio station of a specific band and then playback stops. I go back to the artist page, play a top hits song (all you need is for the song to load and start playing for a second) then press the radio button and it will work again until it freezes again. Sometimes you might not get audio initially but the song title and album cover are there, just pause and then press play again and it should work.

-Sometimes when you like a song, turn your screen off and then turn it back on. it seems to help sometimes with making the screen advance and process the station improvements.

-try to only like a song at the beginning of it. if you do it at the end of a song (even the middle is risky)  it will definetly freeze.

I've had this same issue on both my Motorola Cliq 2, and now on my Nexus 4 as well.
This is one of the bugs keeping me from upgrading to premium.

I should also add it does this as well when disliking a song as well.

Marked as solution

At the moment it seems I may have solved the issue......It worked on BOTH of my devices I was having an issue with.

Go to your apps Manager, pull up Spotify and delete your cache, resart the phone. I didn't loose any of my playlists or downloaded songs as far as I can tell.

Hope this helps.

There is no cache to be deleted on my device atm, but I will try this next time I'm using the app and see if it does anything

Hemichk: It worked!! thank you! 🙂

Suggested posts