Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Removed the ability to shuffle play all playlist in a folder?

Solved!

Removed the ability to shuffle play all playlist in a folder?

In the new update for the Android app, it seems they removed the option to play all playlist in a folder, is that true? I used it all the time because I follow a lot of playlist and to be able to listen to them all in shuffle mode where fantastic... 😞 So is it really true or am I missing something?
283 Replies

Thanks for some sort of confirmation on this dinomight. Such a shame they removed this feature without offering a workable alternative.

Thanks Joe. I missed your message earlier. Think I'm going to exit the Beta Program and use the 7.7 APK until I get chance to completely reorganise my music collection. 

Hi everyone, I also experienced this problem and it bothered me as well since this is my primary listening workflow.  I decided to provide a workaround for myself and anyone interested.

I added a feature to the "Companion For Spotify" Android application. The feature is called Combine Playlists.  It works as follows.

1. View a list of all of your playlists

2. Select the ones you want to combine

3. Click the combine button

It will put all of the songs from the selected playlists into a single playlist called "Spotify Companion - Combined Playlist".  You can then listen to that playlist on shuffle.

The next time you run Companion For Spotify, it will remember the last playlists that you combined and preselect them for you.  So, what i do is...every day before I go to the gym for example, I re-combine my favorite playlists making sure that I pick up any new songs that were added to them. Then I go to spotify and listen away.  It's not a perfect solution, but it beats manually combining them.  It's quick and easy and gets the job done.  In the future, I can enhance this feature to be more user friendly if people like it.

The app can be downloaded here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mlpsoftwarellc.companionforspotify

I hope that this helps some of you out.

Follow Me
DJ Mikey
Strangeways Radio
Owner / Program Director

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

@djmikeystrange wrote:

Hi everyone, I also experienced this problem and it bothered me as well since this is my primary listening workflow.  I decided to provide a workaround for myself and anyone interested.

I added a feature to the "Companion For Spotify" Android application. The feature is called Combine Playlists.  It works as follows.

1. View a list of all of your playlists

2. Select the ones you want to combine

3. Click the combine button

It will put all of the songs from the selected playlists into a single playlist called "Spotify Companion - Combined Playlist".  You can then listen to that playlist on shuffle.

The next time you run Companion For Spotify, it will remember the last playlists that you combined and preselect them for you.  So, what i do is...every day before I go to the gym for example, I re-combine my favorite playlists making sure that I pick up any new songs that were added to them. Then I go to spotify and listen away.  It's not a perfect solution, but it beats manually combining them.  It's quick and easy and gets the job done.  In the future, I can enhance this feature to be more user friendly if people like it.

The app can be downloaded here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mlpsoftwarellc.companionforspotify

I hope that this helps some of you out.

That's a good workaround. 🙂

Thanks for the initiative, while we wait the solution from Spotify (if it will come one day). As a "thank you" I've paid the license. 

If you allow me one suggestion, it would be nice to have a feature to remove the duplicates. Sometimes when we follow multiple playlists, some tracks are repeated.

The first one will duplicate your amount of storage needed in the Android device.

If you're talking about the downloaded songs, don't worry about it. Once a song is downloaded, it doesn't take additional amount on your storage if you add it to multiple playlists : )

You can subscribe to the idea mentioned, as any updates about this featue will be announced there.

MartinStoichkovSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

thanks Sandro. I should be able to add that feature
Follow Me
DJ Mikey
Strangeways Radio
Owner / Program Director

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

This is very frustating...

anyone who has a playlist organized by artists wont be able to shuffle between them... thats is very stupid... If this is not going to be fixes I will cancel my

Very disappointed to find out they removed this feature.. was one of my favourite features please bring it back. It was so simple yet useful why remove it?

The workaround is NOT a solution! being able to play a whole folder on Android like you can on desktop is a really really really good feature! bring it back you Muppets.

Spotify - this is a stupid idea. I organise into folders so that I can file under different genres and I like the playlists within the folder then separated by album or artist. Bring back the shuffle button for folders please. I have organised my playlists in a way that suits me to play them - and it looks like I'm not alone.  You must be now be getting the idea that there are plenty of us out there who don't like this move - and it sounds like most of us have been loyal and paying customers. Bad move, Spotify, bad move. Or are you now just too big and arrogant to care about what customers really want?? 

I also use that feature all the time, so I just made a new playlist and added all songs form the playlists in the folder, this way you can shuffle them all you want. 

So, I think I have found the intended usage that most of us need to learn, the "Tracks and albums" feature (which I've never figured out how to use before anyway...).

For me, I maintained a "current list" of music that I liked to listen to for work, it seems that I can do this with the "Tracks and albums" feature.

Use case 1) Add album/track to my music set
Open the album/track, press "Save"/"+"

Use case 2) Remove album/track from my music set

Open the album/track, press "Saved"/"-"

Use case 3) Keep album/track for later, but do not listen to now

Do as before, store at least one track in a track list.

Use case 4) Play all tracks in my "current set"

Select "Your library", "All tracks" and then "Shuffle"

Of course, this only allows me to maintain ONE set of tracks, but for now, that is good enough.

Thank you Piratk. This would work for any future playlists and although not ideal, I would be able to set up playlists.  However, I have numerous folder set up and one of my main ones that I like shuffle is my "General Playlist". This has 140 playlists within the folder - mainly albums but also artists. It would take me ages to go through all the folders where i have this set up.  

I cannot for the life of me see why Spotify has upgraded the system in this way. It is very much a backward step and has really put me off the platform now.  

Cyaniderxx:
"I also use that feature all the time, so I just made a new playlist and added all songs form the playlists in the folder, this way you can shuffle them all you want."

But that's just not practically doable if you've got folders with hundreds of playlists with thousands of songs.

Well, it will be undoable for hundreds of playlists but if you have a small number of playlists you can do it, use the desktop app to enter a playlist in your folder and then select one song in the playlist then press ctrl+a then ctrl+c to copy all songs in the playlist and then go to your new playlist and press ctrl+v to paste them.
Whole process will take a few seconds for each playlist.

Are these files then recognised as duplicates and so affect your download count?

There's also the maintenance issue, adding or removing tracks from playlists needs to be done in more than one place, a real pain in the **bleep**.

It will not affect your download count, in my case i had a folder of downloaded playlists and when i put them all in a playlist and flipped the download switch they were all marked as downloaded immediately without any increase in the app size.
And yes if you want to keep both the new playlists and the folder in sync you have to add your new tracks to both places, that's why it's not an ideal solution.

Downloaded the new app version when in work today, left the office and went to shuffle, wait, what?

I've been a premium customer for many years and ever since they removed the old shuffle all option, the ability to view all tracks in all playlists within a folder was ideal. Set all new playlist (which are typically single album playlist for me) into a folder, set the ones I'm listening to to offline mode then go offline and shuffle all the tracks, simple!

I have no idea why Spotify would remove this feature, sure there were a couple of minor usability bugs with the feature but the answer is not to completely remove it. If no reasonable workaround is identified (as creating folders was a workaround in the first place) or a change submitted to bring it back I might have to reconsider my membership, I simply don't have the time to maintain multiple playlist the long way!

Yes, I also dearly miss the option to see all tracks in a folder. The final insult is that this feature is live and well on the iOS version. There you get an automatic playlist at the top of the folder containing all tracks and there you can shuffle all.

This is NOT solved. This work a round isn't a viable option for people with multiple folders

Suggested posts