Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Removing offline music doesn't clear space

Removing offline music doesn't clear space

I was running out of space due to downloaded/offline music, so I unchecked a bunch of albums/playlists so they would no longer be avaialable offline.  Although the music was no longer available to me offline, it didn't free up any space on my phone.  I had to completely clear out the cache through settings to clear up the space.  I then did it a number of times to test - downloaded one or more playlists, verified the size of the com.spotify.music folder, then deleted the playlist.  The com.spotify.music folder never changed size.  I even tried rebooting with no luck.

This is frustrating because I keep a few of the playlists I follow downloaded for offline use.  Spotify automatically downloads new songs when they get added to the playlist, but when songs get removed from the playlists, the data doesn't get removed from my phone so that floder size stays the same - it doesn't get any smaller when those songs are moved.  The only way to clear out the com.spotify.music folder and get it to resync correctly to only the songs I set it to download is to clear out the cache entirely, and re-download the playlist.

This is on an htc one m7, latest version of spotify.

89 Replies

It's honestly amazing this is still an issue when the initial issue was posted 3+ years ago...

It is not only still issue, but it is getting worse and worse.

Giving more free space on the phone, allows spotify to comsume all.

Then all apps are blocked including updates and any synchronizations.

Manual triggering of cache clean up, causes long lasting removal of the cache, which duration depends on the size.
Last time ~3GB was deleted and phone hangs for some minutes, after all the system was so confused, that I had to reboot it.
Deleting caches also deletes login data, but also all downloaded off-line content, what is not really intended, when the cache size is limited by any kind of option.

I have a premium account. App said my library was full. Deleting data wouldn’t work so I uninstalled the app, then reinstalled it. It now says my library is full when I have no songs available offline. So I’m now paying for it for nothing. 

It it was fun while it lastest but I will Be unsubscribing tomorrow. 

If user removes offline music. Tracks still remain on the storage. If it is not enough free space on the storage then user has to remove all data by using special button in the settings + relogin + donwload all tracks again. Very annoying!

Remove invalid offline music during Spotifiy is starting or add new button to the settings would solve this issue.

The issue has probably low priority fo serveral years. I don't understand why?

I am having this issue and it's HORRIBLE! The app consumed 12.50GB of space because the unchecked playlists won't clear! The actual music might be merely just 4.14GB and there is no way to clear the cache because the streamed music / unchecked songs are merged with the wanted playlists. Why do I have to delete EVERYTHING and then redownload to reclaim my space? The phone doesn't rewrite the unused content, I had numerous system warnings because of running out of space.

PLEASE FIX THIS!

Is there any way to separate the unwanted data from the playlists I actually need? I really don't want to put heavy load on my internal storage & internet periodically just because of bad programming.

phone.png
pc.png

This is basically proof of the issue that imfromthespace posted. Spotify please get on top of this.

I had this issue, deleting songs made no difference, I could only increase space used, I updated the app and it didn't help, I was literally about to cancel my subscription (as deleting, reinstalling and redownloading is not an acceptable solution for me)

Then I tried switiching it to offline mode (where it says you have to go back on within 30 days) and that seemed to fix the issue.

I have no idea why or if it will continue to work but it might be worth a try.

It's honestly amazing this is still an issue when the initial message was posted 3+ years ago... 😞

GUYS!!! 

Cache disappear only AFTER 2-4 days. I checked and 100% sure: i've delete one playlist that contain 15 hours of music, but space cleared ONLY after ~3 days. Just wait, if you don't want to full reinstall & redownload. 

You can clear the cache instantly by switching to offline mode and back again.  Just tried it, and instantly got 6gb of data back.

Suggested posts