Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Repeating 'age confirmation' requests when trying to play from an album

Repeating 'age confirmation' requests when trying to play from an album

Plan

Premium (three-month trial period)

Country

South Korea

Device

Galaxy S21 Ultra

Operating System

Android 11

My Question or Issue

I subscribed to Spotify Premium on the 2nd of February, when it was launched (finally) in Korea.

The one big problem on the mobile app is the age confirmation issue when I'm trying to play R-rated songs from their albums. 

Screenshot_20210204-235717_Spotify.jpg

Such a prompt pops up telling me to verify my age, and when I do, nothing happens. And when I try to play the same song again, the same prompt pops up; it's a dead-end.

This problem does not occur when I try to play the same song (or other R-rated songs) from a playlist. Also, on the web player, the same R-rated songs play without a problem (without the age confirmation prompt) from their albums.

Since the launch and the discovery of this issue, I've been checking Korean communities on the web and it seems others are having the same issue as well.

Some kind of a compatibility issue with the Korean age verification system might be the reason for this but I'm no expert. Please fix this.

18 Replies

Hi @user-removed, 

Welcome to the Community and thanks for reaching out about this. 

First up, it's well worth running a clean reinstall to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble. This one is more thorough than the usual one. 

If this doesn't do the trick, we suggest that you try reverifying your age using a different internet connection. 

Let us know how it goes!

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I'm having the same problem. I've been in contact with Spotify cares on Twitter. We've done all the troubleshooting your going to suggest. It's not on the user's end. They told me they are still investigating and haven't heard back in a few days. 

I've already done both reinstalling (deleting app cache data beforehand) and trying different network connections (wifi and 4g data).

Just like what Jpprice14 said, it seems to be a problem with the app and I guess the users will have to wait and see when they come up with a solution to this.

Are you on the KT network too? I'm wondering if it's a problem between the Spotify app and the KT Pass app.

No, I'm using SKT. I believe the Pass app is supported for all three major network providers (SKT, KT, LG) and I had (and still have) the issue when I used both the Pass app and the text message verification.

I initially thought the Pass app might be the culprit but the same problem persisted even after verifying my age through text message verification.

If you really want to listen to a certain album while this problem is still here I have found a work around. At the top of the album page click the "shuffle play" button then skip to the first song on the album. Enter the player screen and click the shuffle button to shut it off. 

Hi there folks,

Thanks for your posts.

Can you send us the following info:

• Device model, OS version
  • Spotify version
  • Link/URI to a song that you can't play directly, but works when played from album

We'll be on the lookout for your replies 🙂

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G (SM-N976N) 

Spotify version : 8.5.98.984
We can't play any explicit lyric songs from albums.
Anything rate 19 or older.

(Exact same problem as the other user.) 

Device model: Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G (SM-G998N)

OS version: Android 11

Spotify version: 8.5.98.984

Link/URI to a song that you can't play directly, but works when played from album:

The songs with the issue are any 19-rated songs that I try to play from their respective albums. So simply put;

• any 19-rated song played directly from the SEARCH: NO ISSUE (no age confirmation prompt)
  • any 19-rated song played from any PLAYLISTs: NO ISSUE (no age confirmation prompt)
  • any 19-rated song played from the ALBUMs: never-ending age confirmation prompts

Also, I've already mentioned above that this seems to be a problem to many of the new users in Korea.

Hope the above info helps 🙂

Iphone 8, IOS 14.3

spotify ver 8.5.96.967

Every 19rated songs

tried multiple times, everyone i know around me are facing the same problem. The pass app shuts down after entering password ans nothing happens. Please fix asap 

My guess is Spotify didn't care too much about the explicit material and didn't work it out. They were betting on most people living in Korea listening to the kpop that is not 19 or older. That's why we didn't get podcasts at launch too. 

Hey folks,

Thanks for keeping in touch and sending the required info.

The right teams are aware of this and working on a fix right now. In the meantime, we recommend keeping the app updated.

If you have any questions or need a hand with anything else, give us a shout.

Cheers 🙂

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Any word? 

After the update on the 9th of February (on Google Play Store), it seems the error is fixed, at least for me

Any updates? same problem here 

any updates? same problem here

The error I keep getting is that you "need to be online to verify your age."

Worst app experience EVER!!!

Happening again? I'm still ok. I dont have a problem with the app other than wishing music and podcasts would have different ques/feeds. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Suggested posts