Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Rewind and fast forward buttons disabled

Solved!

Rewind and fast forward buttons disabled

Hi,

I downloaded the Spotify app a couple days ago. I signed up for the premium trial with it. I am enjoying streaming the tracks of my choice. Unfortunately, though, I am unable to navigate my queue. The rewind and FF buttons are greyed out and unresponsive, both in the app and in my lock screen.

I tried logging out and logging back in. It didn't work.

Also tried uninstalling and reinstalling. No dice.

I tried just giving it a couple days to "fix itself". It is still not working.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm on Android 5.0.1 on a Nexus 5.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey folks, 

For anyone experiencing this issue on Android, here are some things you can try:

• Make sure your app and OS version are up to date. Older or unofficial versions can cause playback issues.
  • Log out and back in. You might need to force the sync on your device in order to see all of your features correctly.
  • A clean reinstall of the app. It's always a good idea as it can help remove any files that might be causing trouble. 
  • Try logging in with a different account on your device in order to see if you can replicate the behavior or if it's related to your account. If so, maybe creating a new one could help.

In addition to this, if what you're seeing is a grayed out rewind button and you're using the free service, keep in mind that this is expected due to limitations to the playback navigation capabilities.

If you're experiencing this behavior on another platform, make sure to create a new thread in the relevant Help Board.

Cheers!

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

12 Replies

I stumbled upon the solution a few minutes after posting this. For the first time since downloading the app, I tapped the big SHUFFLE PLAY button from the song selection activity. That seemed to unlock the skip buttons. Now I can use FF and RW even if I'm not shuffling.

We'll see what happens after my next app restart or phone reboot, but so far so good.

Following a phone restart, I am seeing this buggy behavior again. Presumably it will happen any time after the app is killed and restarted. My earlier follow-up is just a workaround, then.

I'll see if I can file a bug report.

Edit: Doesn't seem to be any way for me to do that. Hope a mod will notice this and get a bug opened.

A bug would only be opened if there had been several reports of that issue. Yours seems to be an isolated issue affecting only yourself, so it's most likely a simple local issue affecting you. Can you try a clean install and see if thei fixes your issue?

Note: best way to get a clean install is to folow the below linked guide: 
[GUIDE] How to fix common issues for Spotify on Android

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

I have a similar issue and I noticed today, I sometimes play my songs without the shuffle feature and today when I opened spotify I pressed play and suddenly it skipped to a random song I checked to see if the shuffle was activated and it wasn't so I pressed forward and insted it went backwards and viceversa if I press backward it goes forward I don't know if its some configuration or what is happening but its driving me crazy if someone knows the answer or is experimenting the same problem please help! 

no option to delete commment; so i will leave it like this.

This is not an isolated issue. I have been unable to shuffle ff or rw. I've tried all the suggestions. 

Same issue works fine with Deezer. Spotify need to fix it!!!

SAME PROBLEM!!! Don't tell people its an "isolated issue" and your trying to "Delete the post" if you don't know what the F*** your talking about.  Running it on a Galaxy S9+ and FF and RW buttons don't work

Yeah so a RESTARTED on my phone, worked for NOW.  Don't F*ing tell people your trying to delete the post as if they don't know what the F they are talking about.  That enraged me more then the app not working properly to begin with.  I will post back if it reverts to not working (the Fast Foward or Re-wind).  If your FW or RW is not working try a full reboot of your phone.  Hope that helps cause clearly the god **bleep** Moderaters of Spotify won't help you out.

I know it's so annoying, and the thing is this works fine on Deezer never
had any issues.. 2 years on and still can't rewind or fast forward through
the headunit... subscription is up soon. Can't wait to to get Deezer.. at
least I'm not having to touch my phone while driving to fastforwed a
track.. seems like they can't fix the issue.

I was having the same issue on my Mac. This problem happened after I updated my computer to the High Sierra version. However, I've managed to solve it : 

1. Go to System Preferences

2. Click on Keyboard

3. Then go to the tab 'Shortcut'

4. In the list, select Keyboard

5. Then uncheck the following cases: F7, F8, F9

Normally it should go back to normal 🙂

Marked as solution

Hey folks, 

For anyone experiencing this issue on Android, here are some things you can try:

• Make sure your app and OS version are up to date. Older or unofficial versions can cause playback issues.
  • Log out and back in. You might need to force the sync on your device in order to see all of your features correctly.
  • A clean reinstall of the app. It's always a good idea as it can help remove any files that might be causing trouble. 
  • Try logging in with a different account on your device in order to see if you can replicate the behavior or if it's related to your account. If so, maybe creating a new one could help.

In addition to this, if what you're seeing is a grayed out rewind button and you're using the free service, keep in mind that this is expected due to limitations to the playback navigation capabilities.

If you're experiencing this behavior on another platform, make sure to create a new thread in the relevant Help Board.

Cheers!

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts