Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

SD card downloads unusable with Android app, they are lost anytime the phone is rebooted

SD card downloads unusable with Android app, they are lost anytime the phone is rebooted

The current version of the Spotify app is completely broken: if downloads are saved to an external SD card, all of them are lost as soon as the phone is rebooted, even if the SD card is not touched.

As soon as the phone finishes booting, a notification appears that Spotify is downloading thousands of files. Upon examination, in Spotify settings the Storage option has changed itself back to Internal, even though the SD card is still there.

At this point you can change the setting back to SD card, but that will DELETE all the downloaded files and start over downloading them from scratch! This is all the more evident because the Spotify app itself reports many gigabytes of used space on the SD card before the switch, and not after.

I'm so angry about this, but mostly at myself. This kind of nonsense is par for the course with Spotify, the only question is why I keep punishing myself by paying for it.

2 Replies

I have the exact same issue, on a Galaxy S8.

If the phone restarts, whether this is because I shut it down or it needs to restart as part of an update, I can guarantee that my entire Spotify library will be gone and it'll start trying to download to internal storage, rather than the SD card.

It seems to be a pretty widespread issue, and was commented on by Spotify back in January, saying: "We are currently trying to resolve the issue. We don't have a timeframe for a fix" https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Issue-with-storage-option-switching-from-SD-Card-to-...

Good job there wasn't a timeframe set, since this is still a problem 11 months later.

This fixed the problem for me: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Music-library-redownloads-every-time-after-restart/m-p/4865...

Hopefully it will help you as well!

Suggested posts