Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

SPOTIFY VOLUME SPIKE - WHEN USING BUILT IN EQ - PLEASE FIX URGENTLY!

SPOTIFY VOLUME SPIKE - WHEN USING BUILT IN EQ - PLEASE FIX URGENTLY!

Phone model: Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Spotify Version: 0.5.13.63

Hi there, I've been happily using Spotify for a few months now, no real problems to speak of.  Recently however (possibly since the latest batch of updates) a nasty little bug has developed which frankly needs to be address sharpish because it is totally ruining my Spotify experience.

With Spotify's built in EQ switched on, when a new song starts, or you skip within a track using the slider bar, I get a huge volume spike for a moment before the volume reduces back to normal level.   This is causing my ear's no end of distress, and I also fear for my headphones.

I've switched the EQ off for now, but listening to flat music isn't really my idea of fun.

Do I need to submit a bug report or do the dev's read this forum?

80 Replies

Amen brotha! This is absolutely ridiculous, I can't think of an issue that is bigger priority for them than fixing this. Honestly... It's a PAID app for listening to music, but the music sounds terrible. I don't know if anyone else has noticed but ever since the volume surge issue arose, our max volume level is only about 2/3 what it use to be.

The only reason i haven't ditched spotify is because I have so many playlists. However the longer this malfunction goes on, the more tempting a switch is becoming. I fear the only way for us to get the developers attention, is to stop sending them our money.

It was removed because it was not a "solve" as you put it. You sounded insane, ranting like a madman. Your little solve does not resolve any issue with Equalizer spike in spotify for android. Majority of us don't even have that surround sound option on, so again you have no idea what you are talking about. It's clear that Spotify does not give a **bleep** about resolving this issue, how long has it been? Time to cancel the subscription.

Amen to that brotha finally people talking sense!!!!

Cool cool, you say it's a software issue, but running the exact same software as me different things happen? Okay. I did test this on multiple phones/Android versions and in different use cases before posting, but if somehow we're running the exact same software and apparently it's still an issue you guys can continue your complaints, as I said before. I guess that's the forum's best use case now. Enjoy your music, and goodbye.

I have a pixel xl and thought it was phone until I saw this post. Wth Spotify? Four years and no fix? I use the eq. Google play doesn't have this problem...

Same here, have a Motorola G4 Plus running Android 7, it used to also happen on my Android 5 based Samsung Galaxy S4, Please fix it, 4 years is too darn long!

I have an S7 Edge and this issue comes out with all EQ apps. So many years... Please fix this problem, this is annoying.

Thnx

Also experiencing the same problem from a Galaxy Note 4. Spikes and weard adjusting in the first second of a song or skipping and pretty low max-volume. Gotta blast my metal Spotify, c'mon.

This is STILL HAPPENING. Supposedly there was a "fix in progress" several years ago, yet this remains an issue in 2017 on a Pixel 2? That's absolutely ridiculous. My options are either to never use the EQ, rendering flat sound, or else deal with huge volume drops at the beginning of every song and every time I skip through a song. It wouldn't be so aggravating if it weren't so pronounced, but it renders the EQ unusable for me. I've been a paying customer for years and being **bleep**ed off for years on this topic is wearing damned thin.

It's annoying that it's still an problem but I haven't had a problem with it for a about a year or so. It might just be that you have a very new device and it's a problem they haven't sorted yet.

Negative, nor would that make much sense. It was a problem on my S5 as well, but I thought it might have been the device because it was old and slow. Same exact problem on the new phone, and only happens when EQ is enabled, just like everyone else here.

Guys I think I just fixed the EQ sound spike issue that has been driving me (us) insane for months. Select your library-->Equalizer-->Reset your effect to NONE-->Turn off adapt sound.

After I did this I was able to change around the equalizer again without reverting back to the muting sound spike. Hope this works for you.

Yeah I keep getting the same problem on my pixel 2, whenever I change tracks I get a volume spike that then changes back to the equalizer settings. Come on guys please fix this.

Also on pixel 2. Volume is low (phone speakers) when EQ is on.  It seems like jumping to another part of the track will start without EQ for just under a second, then revert to quieter when EQ takes over. Turning EQ off makes it full volume.

So it seems the bug is now close to 5 years old. About time for a fix eh?

Never had this issue on my Samsung Note5.  Recently upgraded to a Pixel 2, and now I have this annoying volume spike issue.  It only hapoens with Spotify, google music and youtube are fine.

I'm a premium subscriber, buy I'm not having a premium experience.

Spotify please patch your app for proper support on Oreo, or I'll gladly take my business elsewhere.

@skoldn wrote:

So it seems the bug is now close to 5 years old. About time for a fix eh?

Insane. I go mad with every f*****g new song starting at glorious pace and suddenly dropping. Please STOP THIS.

How can we complain about this with them ? I have a Moto G5 and the same annoying problem. It is unbelievable as you pay for a premium service and get something like this.

As far as I noticed it is an problem with the system. Android is simply**bleep** when it comes to anythung more fancy like movies or music.

Google Play Music did something custom to prevent it but any other music
app have the same problem that Spotify.

I switched to iOS and I have no issues with anything anymore 😉

-##I eventually just switched phones and no longer had the problem..

Suggested posts