Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

SPOTIFY VOLUME SPIKE - WHEN USING BUILT IN EQ - PLEASE FIX URGENTLY!

SPOTIFY VOLUME SPIKE - WHEN USING BUILT IN EQ - PLEASE FIX URGENTLY!

Phone model: Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Spotify Version: 0.5.13.63

Hi there, I've been happily using Spotify for a few months now, no real problems to speak of.  Recently however (possibly since the latest batch of updates) a nasty little bug has developed which frankly needs to be address sharpish because it is totally ruining my Spotify experience.

With Spotify's built in EQ switched on, when a new song starts, or you skip within a track using the slider bar, I get a huge volume spike for a moment before the volume reduces back to normal level.   This is causing my ear's no end of distress, and I also fear for my headphones.

I've switched the EQ off for now, but listening to flat music isn't really my idea of fun.

Do I need to submit a bug report or do the dev's read this forum?

80 Replies

Fresh install did not fix problem as per spotify support. Really need a fix for this

i,m sorry thats not good enough i pay 10 pounds for a service im not getting . it completly ruins me experience

i needs fixed now

hes right its exactly how i feel

One of the devs posted a detailed explanation of the cause of this issue in another thread a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, the only solution if you are affected by this is to turn off audio effects.

I did ultimately find a viable workaround for this without having to sacrifice good music quality. I replaced the stock Android EQ found with Music Effects with an app called Equalizer. It uses the ID3 tags to automatically apply the right EQ preset to the song you're listening to in real time. Its free and it works magnificently. Even with Google All Access and Pandora. I haven't had a spike in almost 4 months. I did get a Nexus 5 and a Pro Tab 12 and installed it and it works on all those devices. I recommend checking it out. Its been working for me perhaps you can enjoy the same results.

I know how you feel about this, I agree that the spikes suck. As mentioned previously, disabling the EQ will make them go away entirely. As for why we can't directly fix the bug, please see my long explanation in the other thread.

That said, I will relay your concerns to the teams responsible for the Android client and the playback quality and mention that it's still a problem and deserves some attention.

I've been experiencing volume dips for over a year now on my samsung galaxy s3 and have turned recently turned off the equalizer (and tried many different equalizers on google play store to no avail). I don't experience volume dips now, however, whenever I play a song now, it sounds very quiet on maximum volume. Whenever I press the play/pause button, it also makes a sort of fuzzy clicking noise. When will this issue be resolved. Are there any other solutions currently available?

hi+

i am very much the same .leaving eq off helps with click when pausing, however audio quality varies  from ok to unsatisfactory.

the bottom end is sadly lackin so much so i have been using deezer . the bottom ends isnt  perfect but better in many  choices just sounds clerer. ive also been excited to learn of a new straming service from france called qobuz which streams cd quality.

it costs more but i bet its worth it  not tried yet ill let you know

Stil having this problem on mij galaxy tap pro SM-T520 (4.4.2)

S4 GT-I9505 (4.4.2) and PC (W7) do not have this problem (al with eq ON)

@nikreiman wrote:

I know how you feel about this, I agree that the spikes suck. As mentioned previously, disabling the EQ will make them go away entirely. As for why we can't directly fix the bug, please see my long explanation in the other thread.

That said, I will relay your concerns to the teams responsible for the Android client and the playback quality and mention that it's still a problem and deserves some attention.

This is ridiculous though, I am a paying Spotify Premium member and you have been struggling with this for over a year. When will a fix be published!?!? I now have terrible sound quality because I have to turn my sound effects off. If my company had delivery/quality issues similar to this we would be under full audit investigation. How can it take over a year to generate a fix to this issue, or is Spotify just hoping everyone buys new phones and the problem will fix itself?

Turning off the equalizer is NOT a fix, it’s a patch and a terrible one at that. Please comment when we will have a fix for this issue.

Just registered to post this. I'm a new spotify user (premium), I see this bug hasn't been fixed in two years?! Are you kidding me? This is not a minor bug, it is a serious health risk! I'm using headphones with the equalizer tuned to boost bass and reduce other frequencies. When skipping around on a track the equalizer cuts out for a second as it loads the spot, causing the volume to spike much louder than what is safe for hearing. Without EQ I don't get the sound I want. Until the bug is fixed I'm switching to another service. Ridiculous! ! !

Hey all. 

Still having this issue. New spotify premium user so I started using spotify in the car more now that I can use offline lists and noticed this issue rather soon after trying to figure it out on my own. 

I have a galaxy note 4 on verizon in the US running 5.0.1.

Thanks!

Another one with hearing impaired by Spotify. Hi!

If anyone could tell me working external equalizer app that is free and can boost bass.

Note 3 android 5.0

When using spotify on my Samsung phone or Asus tablet it will randomly decrease and mute itself.  When I manually try to slide the volume up, it immediately mutes again.  The only way to fix is to stop Spotify and start again and then it will happen again randomly.  Any fixes for this issue?  Very hard to use it while I'm running.

The need to adjust sound output with an EQ is almost always necessary with small driver earbuds, even expensive ones. Sound is just far too strong in the high range for comfortable listening. With larger driver headphones like over ear ones, there is no need to adjust the EQ as much.

So, on a mobile device, most of use use earbuds, making it a necessity to use an EQ to shape sound accordingly.

If you know Android well, and you care about audio quality, then you must know of Neutron Music player. It is hands down the best EQ on any player software on any platform period.
Android and Spotify should take note of it.

The reason why Neutron always works flawlessly to play local files with EQ is because of its self contained approach to the app. It runs independently from the Android , therefore no need to use Android's/ Samsung's built in EQ.it has its own audio engine.

Because Spotify doesn't have a built in EQ, it relies on the OS EQ. Clearly there is communication issues between the app and EQ.

Like everyone else has been experiencing, well at least on Samsung Galaxy devices... Mine being the Note 4 on Lollipop 5.1.1, the EQ will randomly disengages and for a second when track seeking or changing. Because the untampered audio has a high volume as opposed to the EQ volume, a notable spike in the difference is heard when it switches on and off.

Spotify needs to better understand how Android OS works in Samsung devices to better find a solution to this make or break issue.

I mean make or break because this very issue and the issue of needing a good EQ is a deal breaker on whether to subscribe or not to Spotify or any like service where you do not have control over having the actual music file to play in your player of choice.

If streaming services like this are to keep possession of the actual audio file, they had better be sure the player is sufficient, and EQ works flawlessly with the app. Clearly it does not.

What I would love to see is a built in EQ within the Spotify Android app. One with a multiband EQ...something that allows me to shape sound output, like reduce treble when using earbuds.

IF Spotify makes this kind of software addition, I will wholeheartedly adopt the streaming way of music.

Far too often these days are developers forgetting about the core principles of an audio player. Quality. Spotify as a service is great! Selection is great! ...if we can step back a bit and add the extra care to those that care about quality audio, Spotify will be a true success.

I'd love to work with Spotify to help in any way possible on finding a solution to this issue.

I hope to hear back from you Spotify.

Technical notes on my setup:

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (Canada)
Lollipop 5.1.1 (Oct 2015 release)
No other EQ apps installed.
Spotify premium
Sennheiser momentum earbuds.

I posted here a few months back saying I would cancel my subscription because of this problem. Just wanted to give an update that I did cancel spotify after that post. The longer it takes them to fix it, the less likely I am to return.

This has been happening on my Galaxy S6 frequently, probably 5-6 times during one song, where the equalizer cuts out completely or spikes. I canceled Spotify two years ago due to this issue on my S4... How is it even possible that it hasn't been fixed yet?

Years go by but theres still no change, no fix and above all, no apology.

I now have serious tinnitus, thanks to spotify app on my Note3 not working as it should.

Why do you developers have to be this evil? 😕

how are these multiple topics so old and still ongoing? please fix this.

i have an other app that in total cost 30 times less than spotify that doesnt have this issue at all.

don't blame it on andriod, blame it on yourself.

Just got spotify premium last week and it's so quiet. Normal volume the first beat of the song then volume decreases like someone turned down my volume buttons...not happy with this I'm likely canceling service after my 3 months is up. 

Not impressed. 

Suggested posts