Premium

Country

Australia

Device

S8

Operating System

Android Pie 9.0

My Question or Issue

Been having this probaly for at least a few weeks now.... when even i restart my phone my spotify change storage to the phone storage... my Mirco SD SanDisk Ultra 64GB SDXC Class 10 UHC-1 i went to this post https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/COMPLETE-GUIDE-How-to-fix-most-Android-issues/td-p/914257  but it did nothing i still having this probaly is my MircoSD too slow or encypted............ please help ;( i have over 3000+ Songs i hate it so much 

7 Replies

Also i have a oldMirco Sd should i buy a new one with the Sandisk or another brand? with A1 Video coding?

Hi NinjaSniper85_,

Thanks for getting in touch with the community!

It sounds like your microSD might be the problem. Formatting the card as internal storage might help.

Start by saving/transferring the files you want to keep from your card to a separate device such as your computer. Alternatively, upload them to Google Drive, Dropbox or any other cloud service for safe keeping. When the files are stored safely you may format your card by following these steps:

1. Uninstall Spotify 
  2. Make sure your phone's microSD is in place
  3. Open "Settings"
  4. Scroll down to "Storage" (on Samsung to "Device maintenance")
  5. Tap your microSD card's name, which should be visible below "Portable storage"
  6. Tap the three dots at the top of the screen to open "Options"
  7. Tap "Storage settings"
  8. Tap "Format as internal"
  9. Tap "ERASE & FORMAT"

(Check the step-by-step guide here if it helps: WikiHow - Format SD-card on Android)

Restart your phone and re-install Spotify. Choose your microSD-card as internal storage. Select the playlists, or Your Library, from which you'd like to download songs for future Offline-mode use from.

Hope this helps! If not, the community will be here, ready to answer any of your questions and hopefully solve your problem 🙂

All the best, and good luck!
/Robert

HI QualiAwe

i did that all yesterday

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/COMPLETE-GUIDE-How-to-fix-most-Android-issues/td-p/914257 

but still nothing work my mirco sd card is working fine

i dont know if it a old mirco sd or do i have to get a new one but i dont want to waste money if the latast mirco sd have that problem 

Hi again!

That's a great guide for troubleshooting, but it doesn't show you how to format your card, only how to clear the Spotify cache.

Try following the steps I posted above on how to format a microSD to working as internal storage. Sometimes the storage itself needs to get "re-branded" as a certain type of storage in order for applications to work properly.

You shouldn't have to buy a new microSD. The only improvement a "nicer" card will have is a greater transfer speed, which means it can transfer a large amount of data quicker than a cheaper card. Spotify doesn't require a top of the line memory card, as it doesn't transfer those amounts of data.

I would guess that it's simply a question of Spotify recognizing your card as an internal storage unit.

If it still doesn't work when you've formatted the card, you can always try someone else's microSD and see if things change. Otherwise, just buy another card, keep the receipt, see if it works, and if not return it to the store and ask for a refund.

All the best,

Robert

i did that yesterday on my laptop also it was in the guide in other issues

Hi!

I read it again. This time thoroughly, and yes it does say to format your card, just not exactly how. As I continued reading I came upon this, which is the opposite to what I thought:

"If you have upgraded your device to Android 6.X Marshmallow or greater then make sure your SD Card is not formatted as 'Internal' memory. [...] If you have done this then you will need to re-format the SD card. "

I apologize for that. Now, with a bit more information, the first question is if you formatted the card as internal storage or just as "usual" storage? In case you did format it as internal memory, try re-formatting it as standard storage.

Also, have you done this exact "deep clean" of Spotify:

1. Go to System Settings
  2. Go to "Apps" 
  3. Find Spotify there
  4. On Spotify's page, first, tap "Force Close"
  5. Then tap "Clear cache" if it's not greyed out.
  6. Then tap "Uninstall" and remove the app.
  7. After uninstalling, power off your device.
  8. If you can, remove the battery now. Power back on.
  9. Using a file manager on your phone or with your USB cable and your computer, go to Internal Storage > Android > Data and delete a folder called com.spotify.mobile.android.ui
  10. Reinstall Spotify from Google Play

...as well as removing all offline devices from your account and making sure that the following folders are deleted?

• com.spotify.mobile.android.ui
  • /emulated/0/Android/data/com.spotify.music
  • /ext_sd/Android/data/com.spotify.music
  • /sdcard1/Android/data/com.spotify.music
  • /data/media/0/Android/data/com.spotify.music

And just to make sure; you have done both these steps found under "Other Common Issues" in the guide?

• Using an external SD card to store your cache
    Spoiler

- Backup your SD card and then try to format it in the phone before installing Spotify. If you've taken the SD from a previous device there may be old conflicting files which can create issues and cause the Spotify app to Force Close

Spoiler

- At the bottom of the settings screen in the Spotify app there should be an option 'Storage'. Open this and select the storage location you want your cache, if changing location the app will transfer existing cached data to the new storage. Note that if your device does not have an SD Card or the SD is unreadable the 'Storage' option will not be visible in the settings screen.

- If you have upgraded your device to Android 6.X Marshmallow or greater then make sure your SD Card is not formatted as 'Internal' memory. [...] If you have done this then you will need to re-format the SD card. Also, check the permissions for the app and ensure the Spotify app has all the required permissions.

- Some devices such as the CAT B15Q running kitkat seem to have issues creating the necessary folders on the SD Card, if after the above you still don't have your cache going to the SD Card try the below steps:

Spoiler
    1. Stop Spotify (Settings -> Apps -> Spotify)
    2. Manually create /storage/sdcard1/Android/data
    3. Copy 'com.spotify.music' and all subdirectories from internal storage to '/storage/sdcard1/Android/data'
    4. Open Settings -> Apps -> Spotify then tap 'Clear Data'
    5. Restart Spotify and log back in again
    6. Set Download quality to 'Extreme'
    7. Try downloading a large playlist
  • Cache Cleaner or Task/Process or Battery Manager installed
Spoiler

- Cache cleaners such as 'Clean Master' are known to clean the Spotify cache. Please ensure you add the Spotify folder '/ext_sd/Android/data/com.spotify.music' to any whitelist/ignore list if possible. Also note that Clean Master contains a process killing feature which can also close Spotify. If you are using this, also enable a whitelist or disable this feature.

Spoiler

- Similar to the Clean Master process killer mentioned above you may have a task, process or battery manager installed; these can interfere with the running process Spotify uses. A lot of task killers (and Android's own) are more agressive when the screen is off or an application is running in the background for an extended period. Try seeing if you can add Spotify to it's ignore list.

In that case, you have probably done as much as you can. Going through the guide completely, step-by-step, with no results leaves us with trying another card. Borrow a used card to begin with if possible, and if it doesn't work get a new one. If that one doesn't work you can always return it to the store and get your money back.

While you're doing all this troubleshooting, you may also contact Spotify Customer Support directly through their Contact Form
Technical Issues -> Offline mode -> "I still need help"

Hope this helps, all the best and good luck!

/Robert

Hey agian

It Did work for like a day but it still change to the interal storage after a restart

I did wait for 5min to let everything to load inbbut that doesn't see the case

Screenshot_20190329-231756_Spotify.jpg

Suggested posts