Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Saved Playlists - Stuttering playback, App is Laggy, Samsung S3.

Solved!

Saved Playlists - Stuttering playback, App is Laggy, Samsung S3.

Hello,

I've been having issues with offline playback from my Samsung Galaxy S3 for a long while now, but as I am driving while the playback (or lack of!) occurs from my device, I have been yet to report it. I have been unable to find any specific solution for this problem while searching, so I do apologise in advance if this has already been solved/answered elsewhere.

The Problems:

1. Playback stutters at random points during a song - it's not song specific or time specific. These are all offline playlists.
  2. The app is exceptionally laggy, and on occasion will ignore my request to skip a song or start a specific song. It can take up to 3-4 minutes to react.

The Environment:

1. Spotify is often the only app running when this occurs, thus there is plenty of RAM available.
  2. I have plenty of free space both on the SD card and Internal Memory.
  3. I am operating with the latest stable version of Spotify for Android.

What I have noticed:

1. The stuttering seems to occur most when the screen is turned off (has timed out for inactivity)
  2. Often the stuttering will occur regardless of whether the screen is on or off.

I was wondering if there were any solutions, or whether anyone else has had similar issues and what they did to resolve them.

Additionally, it's worth noting that I have already tried to clear all of the application data, and do a full uninstall and reinstall of the app. This didn't fix the problem.

Thanks in advance.

21 Replies

Ah ok, glad you sorted it 🙂

Marked as solution

For me the problems have largely now disappeared.

I cannot 100% pinpoint what the solution was, but the following seemed to fix the problem:

1. Download the playlists and then activate "Offline Mode" - it seemed that spotify was trying desparately to update song information via 2G/3G, and playback was suffering due to this.
  2. Ensure that there is enough system memory available - I didn't realise how much memory was being taken up by downloaded music until I checked this, and I noticed other apps were being slowed down due to lack of memory.

Hope this helps anyone else who is experiencing similar problems.

Suggested posts