Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Search is horribly broken

Search is horribly broken

What happened to the search function? Spotify seems to have autoupdated. I now have some sort of live search thing where results appear as I type. That would be fine, were it not for the fact that the results now seem to have absolutely nothing to do with what I've typed in.

Spotify has always been abominable when it comes to searching for classical music tracks, but now it's almost impossible to find pieces. Is there any way to revert to an older version?

3 Replies

I was really glad to see the new search but I don't search for classical music, I admit. I can imagine that the autocomplete may struggle but presumaby you still get the same range of results as before once you finish entering your term and hit the search button? Or has that changed? Could you give me an example I could search on?

The search doesn't change: once I finish typing, that's the final result. Trying to click the "done" button on my Android keyboard does nothing.

As an example, say I search for "brahms op 5". Before, I got the work in question on top. Now, it's pretty far down the list.

As another example, say I search "mozart concerto 17" -- the top result is Mozart's 5th Piano Concerto, which has a catalogue number of K. 175 -- it's choosing to match something containing "17" over the actual work which appears a little bit down the list, which actually has "17" in the title as a separate string, not as part of "175".

Hmmm........the desktop client behaviour is exactly the same so this isn't an android issue. As you said, searching for classical music has always been something of a black art and it seems that it's even trickier now. K453 works a treat for Mozart but it does look as if they've changed the way searches are parsed.

I'll see if I can find out any more on this.

Suggested posts