Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Settings are greyed out

Solved!

Settings are greyed out

I've tried logging out and back in as well as a clean reinstall. I am a premium user nd just switched over to this new phone.
Screenshot_20170210-205932.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

SOLVED

i was listenung on my computer as well. I stoped on tje comp and the settings came back

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

You're using connect. You need to switch back to play on your android to get all the options back. Otherwise only the ones relevant to playing through a connected device are available. This seems to be a recent, sensible but confusing change.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Marked as solution

SOLVED

i was listenung on my computer as well. I stoped on tje comp and the settings came back
Marked as solution

You're using connect. You need to switch back to play on your android to get all the options back. Otherwise only the ones relevant to playing through a connected device are available. This seems to be a recent, sensible but confusing change.

As a paying customer, I had to go to google and only find this "community" thread with a few vague answers... way to go spotify!

No support option inside the app, nothing. not even for paying customers. No feedback function, no way to bug-report easily... I'd quit the service right now if your competitors were any good... Good thing it won't stay like that forever 🙂

Hello can somebody explain to me what "connect" is?

Is that a winapp of spotify? I never use this, I only use my android. So that cannot be the case in my situattion

Can it be that I use sometimes two androids with spotify on it at the same time?

I'm doing this for over two years. Never had a problem with it

Gr. Ernst

Thanks Joe,

It seems to be resolved after a few minutes, by closing both the android phones. I think this "feature" is intalled to get people to the new family premium upgrade...?

However a new problem arisesh..

With my android I could always do a "connect" to my NAD receiver (this means just picking it from a list of available devices), which is equiped to use Spotify directed by for instance my android. This always worked smoothly. Very happy with that. Now it seems that I can not find the NAD receiver in my list for available devices anymore with my Spotify version 8.4.18.743 arm v7.

The other android has a version 8.4.9.271 arm v7. And this still can do that...

Strange....

How can I solve this problem...? Thanks.

Oeps! Find it out myself. I have the opertunity to make use of two different wifi spots, so two networks.... 

I had made a connection to wifi network where the NAD reciever was not connected too... 

Now I changed to the other, and now it works fine...

Sorry it is not a sensible change. I used to be able to play through my Sonos speakers direct by Spotify. In Spotify I could select equaliser etc. Now this is greyed out. Why? You are saying I need to select my phone output play around with settings and then select an external device? But why are so many options greyed out? Not confusing just very badly designed tech. Please review this.

Screenshot_20171022-143955.png
Screenshot_20171022-141853.png

Do you really think that adjusting the audio settings in your phone affects the output from a connected Sonos device? The answer is, it doesn't as the Sonos unit streams direct from Sotify's servers independently. So greying out irrelevant options makes sense and avoids confusion.

The greyed out items include download quality, equaliser, listening offline
and many others. All these options were available in previous versions.
Many users have stated the issues. The reply was bordering on talking down
to customers. Extremely condescending attitude. The volume control is
nothing to do with it...that is another issue with Spotify when using with
external devices. Perhaps if Spotify would speak directly to customers
issues could be resolved. I am happy to discuss this directly.

Download quality isn't relevant for hardware connected devices and the equaliser will not affect the playback from a hardware device.

You can always speak to Spotify here or with @spotifycares on twitter.

Already tried through Twitter but no reply. The greyed out areas should be
accessible. Why I cannot change the download settings at any point in the
app no matter what I am listening through is a design flaw. As are many of
the greyed out areas. Spotify have chosen a design option that does not
fit with user needs. They are becoming so unresponsive.

Suggested posts