Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Severe Playback Issues

Severe Playback Issues

Plan

Premium Student

Country

USA

Device

Galaxy Note 8

Operating System

Android Oreo

My Question or Issue

Hey strangers,

I have lately been having pretty horrible issues with my Spotify app. This has been ongoing for about 3 months now. I have decided to switch over to a different music streaming app in the meantime. Let me explain what is happening.

• Randomly, while music is playing, Spotify's music notification controller dissapears. This means I have to re-open the app to pause my music.

• The small bar at the bottom of the app displaying what's playing will sometimes "break"; it doesn't match up with what song is playing, and the play and pause button doesn't work. I have to use the fullscreen player to control the music.

• When I unplug my phone from a headphone jack, it just continues to play music, at max volume, out of my phone's speaker. Embarrasing in public.

• The music stops randomly, by itself. Not too often, but I can confirm it definitely does happen, and it's not from an external source like a bluetooth media control.

• Skipping ahead a few times, usually three or so, on any music playlist or album completely breaks the app, in a way such that what is coming out of the audio is definitely not what Spotify says is playing. It takes a while to "catch up" and realize it's out of sync with what is playing.

I have done many things to try to fix the app, including clearing cache, clearing the data, signing out everywhere, re-installing many times, giving unrestricted permissions / data usage / no power saving. Finally, I have factory reset my phone to try to fix the app. No luck. It always comes back. Force killing the app only seems to fix it very shortly.

This has been going on for about a month, and I do not think it has to do with anything in particular with my device because I had comepletely reset the phone and all data was returned to default. Last thing I'd like to mention is that I have zero issues using Google Play Music or YouTube music.

17 Replies

Please let me know if there is a better place I can post this.

I have the exact same problems.

I also have problems with the song not being displayed in my car, and I can not skip songs in my car. I have to do it on the phone, which is actually f****** dangerous.

Please fix. I have no issues with other media players.

Glad to hear it isn't an isolated case. Do you also have a Note 8?

yeah, I do.

I live in Norway and use Telenor as a carrier.

I'm having the same problems on my Oneplus 5T, which I've reported before. Please fix this Spotify! It is starting to become unusable

Yeah, 95% of my Spotify use is when im at work. In and out of my car, and doing stuff. Considering unsubcribing if not fixed soon. Gonna be weird since I have used spotify for 10 years soon.

I have been using Spotify for around 3 years. I never had any issues with it until now. But I don't want to pay for an app that is half broken on my phone.

Hi there,

Sorry you all are having this issue as well It's being handled here, so please give the idea a vote and add your voice. Good luck!

I have the same problems on my Note 9, including the song info not updating on android auto. If this doesn't get fixed soon i'm going to have to change services 😞

Unfortunately, I already hit that point and have switched over to another music streaming service. So far their app is flawless and responsive, always showing and playing the correct thing. This bug is specifically in Spotify. If they fix it I may go back because I have all of my playlists on Spotify.

I really hope this gets resolved fast. I was having these issues as well as the visual overlay bug where it the interface overlaps itself. Im pretty upset with the overall developement of android spotify. I fixed the overlay bug so far by completely reinstalling via their uninstall instructions, but these issues persist. I am on a note 8 as well as android 8 oreo with the exact same issues. 

I don't blame you. I'm in the process of switching as well. If this isn't fixed by the end of the month I'm going to cancel my premium subscription. This bug and a few other major ones have been going on for months and Spotify has all but ignored them until the past few weeks. Plus they've been awful about giving us any updates on the situation or a timeline of when it will be fixed. 

Has anyone heard anything yet? I'm on Tidal now and it's been flaw - less. I would try going back to Spotify when it's fixed. But I'm not going to use Spotify until then because what's the point in listening to music on Spotify if it's not enjoyable?

Still no updates. All the mods are just reposting the main threads for the issues and telling people to vote, but they haven't given any new info. I've started switching over to Amazon music, and I'm gonna cancel premium once I've gotten everything imported over there. 

Hey all,

Thanks for getting in touch!

We're aware of the recent issues with Spotify on Android and are working hard on a fix. It's a good idea indeed to post in one of the two main threads which are the following:

All your input is greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the inconvenience! Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day.

I noticed Spotify got a big update when I had to re-download it to get a song off my playlist. Anyone know if this fixed the issues we were having?

I think it's fixed but I'm gonna give it a few weeks until I feel 100% about it.

Suggested posts