Shuffle Bug on Smart TV

Plan

Premium

Country

Australia

Device

Smart TV

Operating System

Latest Android OS for TV (updated recently)

My Question or Issue

Hey guys! I am not sure if this is specific to my Smart TV or Spotify in general, but your shuffle mechanics seem to be behaving strangely.

My girlfriend and I have used Spotify Premium for over 2 years now, and our main playlist has accumulated 1400+ songs. We work from home and so we play that playlist literally every single day with few exceptions.

We usually play the music through our Smart TV using the default Spotify app. The app works fantastic except for one issue - Spotify keeps playing the same handful of songs over and over again, even on shuffle (and with loop off)!

We have tried to work out what is going on, but it seems a mystery to me.

This is what I do to recreate the bug (occurs every time I do this on our TV):

1. I turn the TV on, open the Spotify app and select one of the first few songs in our playlist.

2. I select and start playing that song, and then I press the shuffle button and hit next to start the shuffle.

3. However, the same batch of songs (sometimes in exact sequential order) will loop through the shuffle system. As a result, there are some songs on our playlist that have literally never played. The same 100 or so songs keeps getting put into the shuffle list.

The only "fix" I have found is to go onto my desktop computer or phone, open Spotify, scroll to the bottom of our playlist and choose a recently-added song. Only then will Spotify include different songs in the shuffle. (I can't do this on the TV itself because with 1400 songs it is practically impossible to scroll to the end of our list.)

As a professional computer programmer I am finding this behaviour baffling! I would've thought Spotify would simply randomize the entire song list. But what appears to be happening is that Spotify will choose a small sample size out of our 1400 songs and loop them on shuffle, and will sometimes even play the exact same songs in exact order if you start the shuffle from the same song each time.

Please help! We absolutely love Spotify, but we are so sick of hearing the same songs over and over and having to do these weird tricks to get Spotify to properly randomize the shuffle list! And we do not want to have to split our playlist up into smaller playlists, which seems to be the only alternative fix I can think of right now.

Kind Regards,

Matthew / Jade

1 Reply

I am having the same problem. Even when I scroll further down the list, shuffle will only play from 100 songs around that song. I'd love to get a fix for this. Strangely, it seems to be a recently developed issue. Reinstalling the app didn't work.

KR,

Jonathan

Suggested posts