Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Some songs won't play - Andriod

Solved!

Some songs won't play - Andriod

Some songs won't play on my phone. When they are supposed to play, there is no sound, and when I press pause the progress-bar resets to 0:00. This happens if they are played randomly with shuffle, or if I choose to play that particular song. My guess is that it happens to whole albums, because all the songs of one album (life in cartoon motion - Mika - 2007) are among those who work.

This one album was easy to fix because there was an other album, with the same songs that were working, but it is harder to change all the single songs in my mixed playlists, especially because I listen to music on my phone when I am out, and don't remember all the songs that don't work when I get home. 

Being connected to internet does not help.

The songs work perfectly on my PC. 

I am using a Samsung galaxy S3 4G, with android 4.1.2 and the latest version of the spotify app (available in Norway) 

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Using a file explorer app on your device, or your computer with your device connected over USB:
Look for a folder called com.spotify.mobile.android.ui
It's usually located in \Phone\Android\data\ (or in the folder you chose on your SD card when you started Spotify the first time)
Delete the com.spotify.mobile.android.ui folder(s)

View solution in original post

18 Replies

Is this problem with just one playlist? Could you post a link to it here (right click on the playlist in the desktop client and copy the spotify URI).

No, the problem is with the songs or the albums, they remain with the song if I play them in an onther playlist, in the search results or ine the home screen of the artist. 

All the songs from the "Life in cartoon motion" album on this plalist is affected by it. 
spotify:user:flamco:playlist:3Caum68U154G5F06iqmGyh

MIKA

That's really odd, the playlist works fine on my android. Could you use the online contact form and someone at Spotify will help get this sorted. If you get an automated reply directing you back to the community or to the help pages, make sure to reply to it directly (even though it says not to) to speed things along.

I'm having exactly the same problem on my Android device. It happens with Imogen Heap "Ellipse" and Daft Punk "Homework". It's happened with a few others and it's always the entire album and it doesn't respond to deleting the song and adding it back to the playlist. I've even entirely reloaded the OS (for an unrelated problem) and the bug persists. 

Hi @Josef Are you having this issue when you stream the music from spotify or are they downloaded/synched to your android? Do they play on your PC using the web player?

What device, android and spotify versions are you running?

Hello,

I have also problems with my Samsung S3 mini.

Some tracks run without music, meaning that I can see the timeline moving, but there's no sound.

It failed for stream and download as well, but probably only while using 3G.

I was not able to reproduce the error when connected with WLAN right now.

Once I will have the problem again, I'll come back to this thread, now that I know I'm not alone 😉

Bye,

zappl2000

Hi again,

Today I met the problem within WLAN. 

I put the song in a playlist I will extend whenever I find songs that don't run. 

http://open.spotify.com/user/1136597126/playlist/4jmI1fuUWSrPjAYQlsYa6L

Solutions appreciated 😉 

Hi @user-removed . Those tracks seem fine. Could you please reinstall spotify on android and see if that makes a difference. Thanks.

Thanks for getting back to me. Problem happens only with downloaded tracks. All songs that won't play on the Android play just fine on every other device as well as the web player. 

I tried a little diagnostic experiment: 

1. Undownloaded the Imogen Heap album. 

2. Tried streaming it and it still didn't work. 

3. Restarted the phone. 

4. Tried streaming Imogen Heap. It worked!

5. Hit download again. 

6. Re-Downloaded tracks won't play again. 

I am running Android version 4.1.2 on the Motorola Droid 4

Spotify is version .7.42.402-g40e8dcb4

I'm storing my Spotify tracks on a 32GB SD FWIW. No, I did not erase the SD card after I reinstalled the OS on it a month ago. 

If you reinstall spotify, it will delete the cache but you could make sure it has gone using a file explorer before reinstalling. This will eliminate the possibility that the cache has become corrupt in some way.

Then try redownloading the music and see if the problem recurrs.

If you don't clear the cache, the original download will still be there and spotify will reuse it automatically.

Hi Joe,

did as you advised. No changes.

After I had put all tracks to the playlist above, I was able to reproduce the problem for every constellation:

WLAN, 3G, stream and download = no play!

Playing list on desktop PC is okay!

Summing up parameters:

Model: Samsung S3 mini

Android Version: 4.1.2

Kernel: 3.0.31-1332988

Spotify-Version: 0.7.2.402-g40e8dcb4

Thx & Bye

Hauke

Hi Joe,

read your last post a little late... but: I have no idea where to look for the cache with a file explorer.

What's its name?

Brgs,

Hauke

Marked as solution

Using a file explorer app on your device, or your computer with your device connected over USB:
Look for a folder called com.spotify.mobile.android.ui
It's usually located in \Phone\Android\data\ (or in the folder you chose on your SD card when you started Spotify the first time)
Delete the com.spotify.mobile.android.ui folder(s)

Thank you, Joe!

Deleting the cache solved the problem. Tracks are now played well.

best regards,

Hauke

Awesome news 🙂

Problem solved, with a caveat: 

There was a zombie cache hanging out on my phone's internal storage as well as the SD card. I had to delete both of those and then uninstall Spotify, then restart the phone and reinstall Spotify. Now it works. 🙂 

Thanks for the update Josef 🙂

Yup this works. Check your spotify cache forlder and delete the file that looks clearly outdates. File/folder names may vary.

Suggested posts