Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Songs Stop After 7 Seconds

Solved!

Songs Stop After 7 Seconds

I realize that this forum is moderated by apologists who insist the problem is never, EVER the fault of Spotify - but here goes. 

This is a mobile issue.

Following the latest Droid OS update, Spotify now stops every song (whether in a play list, search result, suggested - makes no difference) after 7 seconds.  If you start the song over, it plays - and stops after 7 seconds.  Without fail.  NO exceptions.

I uninstalled Spotify (only to be reminded that Spotify will continue to collect their money unless I cancel.  Thanks.) and re-installed.  I logged in through FaceBook (as I have since I initially subscribed in 2012).  Only to have Spotify display its home page, then my playlist ("Your Music") page followed immediately by the login page again, advising me I was not logged in.  I accessed my account via my laptop to confirm my account was still valid.  It is.

I quit.  This most definitely is Spotify's problem.  Mods, please do not embarass yourselves by suggesting it's not.

I dare you to fix it.  You have 4 hours or you lose all five accounts we maintain.  There are other, more reliable, more professional, more customer friendly streaming services.  (Please tell me that you do not care and I am free to go.  That will at least confirm the problem is yours.) Here's what I expect: "You must have connectivity problems."  "You have a mobile virus."  "Well, the problem is definitely not on our end."  "You're free to cancel your subscription."  And my all-time favorite - "Are you near a cell tower?" 

I hope I am wrong and you actually repair this.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

That's very odd behaviour. May I ask what phone & Android version you are running?

Sounds almost like it's emulating screen presses. I'm going to assume you've rebooted your phone.

I does seem really odd behaviour. Maybe try searching Google for an older version of the apk and make sure Google Play is not set to auto-update.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

View solution in original post

23 Replies

There do appear to be issues with the latest release, there are several reports of similar behavior here:
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/Login-Fails-But-Continues-To-Playlist/td-p/781847

It has been passed onto the Spotify team from here on the community (in fact I did that myself), but to be honest 4 hours as a time frame for a fix is never going to happen.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hey, great idea from someone at Spotify non-support to re-install Spotify.  (I tried that first.)  What I get is:

1) The log in screen (so I log in)
2) The Spotify home page letting me see the newest releases
3) A page that says I am off-line
4) My playlists ("Your Music") page
5) The log in page (and, if I log in again, this same scenario repeats)

So now I cannot even enjoy the 7 seconds of each you so graciously let me have yesterday.  Thanks again.

By the way, I'm sure the software that takes my family's $30 this month is working just fine.  Meanwhile, we have no music to enjoy in exchange for our money.

Fix. Your. darn. Problem.

How appropriate.  As our family waits on Spotify to solve their problem, we get an e-mail confirming our electronic payment to Spotify for the next 30 days.

Just. Wow.

(Still no solution.  Just did the third clean re-install, hoping beyond hope it had been repaired.  Of course it had not.)

I have seen this behaviour before. Oddly enough it seems only when using a Facebook login.

I think some people worked out that if you clear the app data and try to re-login as a new facebook user it accepts and uses your pre-existing acvcount.

Android Troubleshooting:

Thanks for the advice. The problem (among many) is that the app will not allow me to log out.  Since you were good enough to respond, I tried again with the fourth clean re-install.  Here is what I get now:

When I open the Spotify app, it takes me to the log in screen then immediately to the "New Music Tuesday" screen (without my logging in).

When I open the "Browse" window, it retuirns to the log in screen, then quickly (with no action on my part) to a screen advising that I am off line.

About every fifth attempt to open the "Browse" window, it allows me access the "Settings" menu and I click "Log out." 

It returns me to the log in screen and goes through the same progession just described.

As I sit here typing this, I am watching Spotify just go from Log In to New Music Tuesday to You're Offline then back to Log In without my so much as doing anything except watching the screens change.

So I would love to try your approach, unfortunately the Spotify app will not allow it.  I have uninstalled and cleanly re-installed four times.  The app is totally unusable. Is there any help at all for this?  Please tell me there is a new version coming.  I really do not want to cancel but Spotify just took their $30 today and are providing nothing in return.

Thanks

Marked as solution

That's very odd behaviour. May I ask what phone & Android version you are running?

Sounds almost like it's emulating screen presses. I'm going to assume you've rebooted your phone.

I does seem really odd behaviour. Maybe try searching Google for an older version of the apk and make sure Google Play is not set to auto-update.

Android Troubleshooting:

Thanks again.  I just rebooted (for the 7th or 8th time) and cleared the cache (again).  The Spotify app continues to cycle among those three screens refusing to allow me access to the log out screen.  I do not use Google Play Music (although the app is on my device).

My device is a Droid Razr HD (version 4.4.2).  The problems wirth Spotify began about 48 hours after the latest Droid system update.  Spotify worked as always for 2 days following the update then on Monday May 19 it just completwly went haywire.

I found the prior versions so I will unintsall and try that approach.

Honestly, today is our last day with Spotify if this is not repaired.  This is ridiculous. (But, they got their $30 today.)

I uninstalled and installed an older version ( version 0.5.3.56 from 2012, I think).  It looks different but works fine.

Thus, I now know that the problem was not FaceBook, my device, or anything to do with me.  This is a Spotify problem.  Let's hope they fix it.

OH. MY. GOD.

After everything Spotify has put us through over the last month, today we get this e--mail:

Hi,

We are writing to inform you that, due to a technical error, your Spotify Premium subscription renewal has been cancelled.No worries, you didn’t lose the Premium you paid for. You can still enjoy its benefits until the expiration.If you wish to avoid reverting back to Free once your current month of subscription expires, follow this link and re-subscribe with another payment method:https://www.spotify.com/account/subscription/Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience. Spotify Team

So, I log in via the hyperlink provided by Spotify and get this this:

Subscription status

Your Spotify Premium subscription will be automatically renewed 2014-08-02 and charged $9.99 + $0.00 Sales tax every 1 month, unless you cancel your subscription before that time.
Sprint Customers: Users accepting a trial will remain on Spotify Premium and will be billed up to $9.99/mo on their Sprint bill and may cancel at any time.

Payment method

Your account at Google Play is used for payment.

Premium codes

Have a Premium code? You can redeem it here.

View receipts

Click below to view the receipts for your payments

View receipts

Cancel your subscription

View your option

So what is it Spotify?  Is my subscription cancelled due to a technical error, or are you still collecting my $9.99 per month?

My GOD, you suck.

PLEASE, I DARE you to explain this one.

We do not want to lose Spotify but you and your inept tea, continue to make it difficult.  PLEASE, I BEG you, explain yourself.

It bears mentioning that Spotify released a new update for Android to solve the myriad of problems their last update caused.  Jeez, who is in charge over there?! Will SOMEONE please assist a paying customer?!

@Dissatisfied2 - From what I have heard from the community, the Google Play payment method has been withdrawn which is why you got the email.

Peter

I'm not surprised that Spotify has AGAIN screwed their customers.  Since you were good enough to reply, any ideas how to communicate with Spotify to arraneg a different payment method?  As usual, their customer unfriendly website is of no help.

Thanks

Hey, you should be able to change your payment method here.

You're right, you SHOULD be able to.  But you can't.  (Spotify strikes again.)

Under "Payment Method" it reads "Your account at Google Play is used for payment"  with no link (that I can see) to change payment method.  Of course, there is no customer service telephone number.

Look, I get that the management of Spotify sucks, but I'm willing to pay, they just cannot seem to get their head out of their collective arse to help customers.

(I know it's not you, just please understand my frustration with these idiots.  First, the botching of the Android app, now this.)

Any more ideas?

Just searched Spotify for help and found directions which instructed me to click "Change Payment Method or Card Details" under the "Payment Method" header on my account page.  That option is not available.   All I have on my account page is "Your account at Google Play is used for payment" with no hyperlink to change the payment method.

I am not up to about 10 total hours invested trying to solve the complete and utter ineptitude that constitutes Spotify's customer service.  Truly astounding.

Please, for GOD's SAKE, help us Spotify.  What is wrong with you?

You can get in touch with the payments team directly using the online contact form and they will be able to lend a hand. 

If you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

I would assume once your renewal is actually due and the payment fails your account will revert to Spotify free which will then allow you to change your payment method if it comes to that. 

Peter

Thanks Peter.  I sent a contact form request in earlier this morning.  Hopefully somone will get in touch soon.

Am I some island of malcontent?  Are other customers having this awful experience with Spotify?  The Community boards seem to indicate a wide-range of dissatisfaction issues.

And, the larger question, is Spotify doing anything to address these issues?

Thanks again.

After some time, almost half a year, I've finally found the solution to the problem. iOS version 8 (maybe previous versions also, I don't know) turns on private browsing by default in Safari. After setting that option to OFF Spotify never stop playing songs randomly anymore. I've had a few hiccups but that has always proved to down to something else. Wifi problems etc. Google: 'turn off private browsing iOS 8" and you shall be saved. Good luck! 🙂

Hello All,

I have noticed that when I have this issue, it depends on the WiFi network I am connected too.  I believe some networks will be looking for high volumn of streaming and then terminate them (i.e. at work), Where as at home there is no issues as I do not restrict streaming content. 

So in short, the issue may not be Spotify but the WiFi network you are attempting to connect to.

Suggested posts