Premium Student

Country

Italy

Device

Samsung Galaxy S8

Operating System

Android 9

My Question or Issue

Hi everyone! A few days ago, I've started having a problem with Spotify on my phone. Every time I try to play a song, it simply won't start, even if I try to start the song from a different point on the progress bar. However, I can still play songs on my laptop, TV, and Alexa device. I already have:

• cleared the cache (from both Spotify settings and Settings > Apps > Spotify);
  • logged out;
  • uninstalled Spotify (from both Google Play Store and Setting > Apps > Spotify);
  • deleted every com.spotify.music file;
  • rebooted my phone;
  • disconnected every connected device from Spotify settings;
  • reinstalled Spotify;

and it still doesn't work. I'm starting to get frustrated. I don't know what else to do.

36 Replies

I'm having exactly the same problem on my phone (App Version 8.5.87.921, Android 7) but not on my tablet (also Android 7). Also, Spotify working perfectly on an older phone (Android 5) 

I also tried everything that is mentioned to fix the problem but no progress. 

Do you use data or wifi or is the issue for both?

I have personally tried both and the songs still will not play, also they cannot be downloaded. Plus, I tried to control and play a song in my device throught another one (Connect) but the app will just shut down

Hey folks!

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community.

We'd first recommend double-checking you followed all the right steps to perform a clean reinstall of the app.

@nicolodignazio, would you mind letting us know if the issue persists when a friend or a family member logs into their account using your phone?

@gjohnatl, if you're also having issues downloading your music, we'd suggest taking a look at this article for more useful tips on what to do in this case.

Keep us posted. We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I've already tried a clean reinstall and I did it again now but nothing changed.
Also I don't really care about the downloading problem, when I cannot even play a song

Hello, guys! I'm the same person who created the topic.

Apparently, after 45 minutes in chat support, they figured out there was no solution to my problem, so I had to cancel my account and create a new one.

I'm sorry if I couldn't log back to Spotify Community and close this topic.

Hi there folks,

@gjohnatl, can you try disabling any battery optimization for the Spotify app, also make sure the app has all permissions enabled in the Phone's settings? If that doesn't change anything, can you let us know if you're having the same playback issues both on Wi-Fi and mobile data?

@nicodignazio, Thanks for getting back in this thread. Can you confirm to us that everything works fine in your new account? This may help other users as well.

Cheers.

AlexModerator

I don't have any battery optimization for the Spotify app and I have been using Spotify in the same phone for the past year, I don't know what happened all of a sudden and they songs cannot be played. I have tried wifi and my data but it doesn't change anything

Everything is working fine right now. If you've already tried a clean reinstall and it didn't work, my advice is to contact Spotify chat support and ask them to close your account and transfer your playlists, podcasts, and plan to your new account.

I have tried a reset on my phone, redownloaded the app and everthing is fine for now.
Now the question is "Is spotify app worth reseting your whole phone and spending 1 hour reorganizing things to bring it up to normal"?
"No"

Hey there @gjohnatl,

Thank you for your post and confirmation. Happy to hear that you can play music again.

Do you still have issues with downloading you music, or is that working again?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I think its a problem with s8s cause same exact thing is happening to me ive downloaded an re downloaded the app multiple times and cleared cache and restarted still wont play any music but itll play on my computer and on my chromecast

Hey @Kingkong817,

Thanks for reaching out to us and welcome to the Community 🙂

In case you're using an SD card, it's a good idea to remove it, reinstall Spotify and then try running the app without the SD. Are there any changes?

We'd suggest you also try with another network. If you're using any battery optimization or power saving apps, you can deactivate them for Spotify.

Keep us in the loop! If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Ver Moderator

Hello, i have the exact same problem as this person had and i wanted you to help me transfer to another account because that seems to be the only solution to this problem. I hope somebody can help me with this.

Hey @sflwt2003

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community 🙂 

Could you let us know which troubleshooting steps you've already tried?

We're here to keep helping you. However, if you've already created a new account and everything works fine on it, you can follow the instructions in this Guide and transfer your music collection over to the new account.

On another note, if you want us to keep helping you here, could you send us the exact make/model, operating system and Spotify version of your device? 

We'll be waiting for your reply!

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I already have tried doing all of the following:

• cleared the cache (from both Spotify settings and Settings > Apps > Spotify)
  • logged out
  • uninstalled Spotify (from both Google Play Store and Setting > Apps > Spotify)
  • deleted every com.spotify.music file
  • rebooted my phone
  • disconnected every connected device from Spotify settings
  • reinstalled Spotify

I also tried entering with a friend's account and it works just fine, i guess the problem is with mine only? But i use my same account on my computer and i don't have that problem there, only on my cellphone.

My cellphone is a Huawei y9 prime 2019 and my Spotify version is 8.5.89.901

Hi @sflwt2003

Thanks for your quick reply!

You mentioned that you've already reinstalled the app, but would you mind going through the steps of a clean reinstall, as it's more thorough than a normal one?

Also, could you let us know if you're using an SD card? If so, we suggest that you try restarting your phone without it and check if the issue persists. 

Keep us in the loop 🙂 

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I just followed the steps for the clean reinstall and seems like everything got back to normal, i can listen to the songs again and also download them, everything i couldn't do before, now the app works just fine. Thanks for the guidance, in case anything else happens or the issue shows up again, i'll let you know to get more help. 🙂

This work for me... Thanks

Suggested posts