Announcements

Songs not playing on my phone

Re: Songs not playing on my phone

Hey @sflwt2003 and @Dcy1

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. 

Great news! Give us a shout if you experience this again - we're always here to help.

Еnjoy your music! 

IvanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
“Music is the strongest form of magic.” Marilyn Manson

Casual Listener

Hi,

I'm having a similar issue to @nicolodignazio except Spotify only breaks like this when I set the storage to SD Card. The SD Card is brand new with nothing else on it, songs are downloading but they won't play, my username appears as numbers without a profile picture, it doesn't show that I've liked a song and my liked songs playlist disappears from my library.

I have:

• performed the clean install
  • cleared the cache and data several times
  • uninstalled and reinstalled Spotify several times
  • logged out and logged back in
  • rebooted my phone
  • logged out of all my devices
  • SD card is formatted as portable storage
  • SD card has all required permissions

I did not find any of the com.spotify.music folders after uninstalling it. Spotify is also working perfectly on my laptop and desktop, it just seems to be an issue when the storage is set to SD on my phone.

I have a Sony Xperia L2, Android 7.1.1 with Spotify version 8.5.93.445. I'd really appreciate some help since I bought the SD Card so I could put the music on it as it fills up my internal storage too quickly.

Hi there @mhi-24f2u9_er,

Thanks for the info.

Can you try to format the card as internal storage and reinstall Spotify? After that check whether you can see the SD card as a storage option from the Spotify App settings.

Keep us posted.

AlexModerator

“With freedom, flowers, books, and the moon, who could not be perfectly happy?” ― Oscar Wilde

Casual Listener

Thanks for the response.

I don't seem to have the option to format the SD as internal. When I tap format, it only says portable storage.

Now both options are greyed out on Spotify. I have made no changes.

Screenshot_20210118-114143.png
Screenshot_20210118-114558.png

Hi @mhi-24f2u9_er,

Thanks for getting back to us.

If the SD-card is formatted as internal storage the app will treat it as space on the phone's internal memory and will start writing data to it once the phone's storage is filled up. 

If the card is formatted as portable storage you should be able to choose it as an storage option for the Spotify downloads. 

It might be worth checking if your phone runs normally with another SD card or running this on through some software that can check it for errors on your computer.

Keep us posted on how you get on with this.

AlexModerator

“With freedom, flowers, books, and the moon, who could not be perfectly happy?” ― Oscar Wilde

Casual Listener

My previous SD card had the same issue with Spotify so I was storing all the music internally.

Have run my new SD card through Windows error checking and it has found no errors. No issues with copying things over onto it either.

Hi again @mhi-24f2u9_er,

Thanks for your reply.

Keep in mind that older Android versions can cause the app to malfunction when using an SD card.

In this case, could you try using a device that has a newer Android version to see if you can replicate this issue?

Let us know how it goes. 

NovyModerator

"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't." -Henry Thoreau

Casual Listener

Unfortunately, I don't have access to a phone with a later version of Android. If I could just get one that would be great, but it'll have to wait.

My boyfriend is running Spotify on a phone with the same version of Android and uses the SD card for storage without issue. It's an LG though. I understand that it could be the device so I'll try to reset it to factory settings and get back to you.

Hey @mhi-24f2u9_er

Hope you're doing well. 

Jumping in here just to check if you managed to see any difference after resetting your device to factory settings. 

Let us know and we'll be here to assist you further if necessary. 

Enjoy your day!  

IvanModerator
“Music is the strongest form of magic.” Marilyn Manson
SUGGESTED POSTS