Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Songs over 10 minutes suddenly unavailable?

Songs over 10 minutes suddenly unavailable?

Plan

Premium

Country

Denmark 

Device

Samsung Galaxy s9

My Question or Issue

First of all, I am unsure if this is the right place to put this, I'm sorry if not. 

Today as I listened to this musical album, I noticed that four of the songs didn't play. It was on the android app and it's surprised me as I didn't have any problems the weeks before today. As I came home I decided to check if it was purely an android problem or if I had the same problem on the web player. That's where I noticed that it was only the songs that were more than ten minutes, that suddenly weren't available to me. 

Now I understand that licensing rights sometimes make songs not available for whatever reason, but I initially found it weird for that to be the case especially on a musical album where the whole musical is sorta supposed to be listened to. I did try and check if other 10´minute songs were unavailable to me, but it seems like it's only for this specific musical, but still on different version (albums). 

My question is: is it possible that it's just some weird licensing problem from this specific publisher that doesn't want their 10+ minute songs to be heard by either people in my region or all people? Is it possible it's a bug/mistake? Have I done something dumb? Do I just have to live with it?

8 Replies

I also noticed yesterday that many tracks were suddenly greyed out from albums in my collection. I also noticed they are the longer tracks in said albums but I'm not sure if they're longer than 10 minutes.

I'm seeing this in several albums from the ECM label (Keith Jarrett mostly, including his famous Köln Concert, which is now blocked except for the final, shorter track).

Would be happy to know if anyone else is observing the same issue, specially here in Germany.

I've been noticing, in Finland, that many albums distributed by Universal have all tracks exceeding the ten minute limit greyed out (most of Frank Zappa, Between the Buried and Me's pre-2011 output, Street Life by the Crusaders are some examples) and very meny ECM albums, seemingly also distributed by Universal, have plenty of tracks removed, mostly the longer ones. It would be nice to have some official word if it's a permanent decision on their part, because it takes a ton of value away from the service.

I decided to check who distributes the songs I've lost availability to, and lo and behold, it is part of universal group. It does feel awkward that it's just the 10+ minute songs, suggesting there's been a mistake somewhere. I hope it's not permanent at least. 

I have the same issue, from Argentina. So I guess it's a rights problems. Let people listen his music, these greedy bas...

Same happens to me in Argentina. Please , people join us in our problem. The more people affected , the more chances of solution !!!

Same problem (Finland). I wonder if we should try asking Universal.

Same deal here in Germany, noticed this just now. This is especially annoying for Progressive music, because it tends to have albums where half the tracks are over ten minutes:

grafik.png

Hi,

I noticed the same with Songs from ECM label over 7 minutes (Premium in Germany). Especially annoying, as just yesterday I had no problems on qobuz lossless, but in order to spare some money, I changed today to lossy format and chose spotify because of the bigger library... oops, wrong move.

(off topic: Come on, its alsmost 2019... why is spotify not paying attention to quality.... lossless formats, output device selection with ASIO/WASAPI support)

Suggested posts