Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify App Crashes When Playing Local File

Solved!

Spotify App Crashes When Playing Local File

Whenever I try and play a local file on my Spotify app, it crashes. I thought I had synced my local files with my app. Any advice?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Okay something I did worked, bc I went on a road trip after I did it last week and it didnt force close the entire time. This obviously is still an unacceptable bug for a premium service to have but my fix worked for me, so if you want to keep Spotify, I'd suggest trying everything I did:

-Go ahead & delete all your local music on your phone (as in saved to an SD card) to avoid this problem in the future- just plan to link all songs via spotify on wifi (we will get to that in a minute)

- Delink all the local files that are tracks available on spotify (if you right click a track or multiple tracks in your "library" file, "unlink track" is an option) . This can only be done on a desktop version of it- not your phone. Obviously files which are not available on Spotify (the grayed out ones) you wouldnt do this to. For my own personal ease- I created a playlist of just those songs not available for free on spotify.

I'm honestly not sure if this step is actually necessary, I am just saying I did it in my process and something I did worked here, so I'd try it all that I did. Also, this helps if you have an old cd's files on your computer which had skips- if you delink it then you get spotifys version, not yours, this helped me out with some of my old cd files.

-Uninstall the app but make sure to also CLEAR THE APPS CACHE. If you have an app which is backing it up your app data, delete your saved spotify files. Just be sure to completly remove it from for your phone. I would restart your phone as well, just to be on the safe side.

-Reinstall the app and resync your files via wifi. Obviously this is the painstaking part of the process, if you like me have thousands of songs which will have to load. I just let it sync overnight to take out that inconveneince factor.

Like I said, doing all that has gotten my app to work perfectly for the past week, including two 3+ hour drives during my weekend roadtrip. Its annoying that the app has that gliche, but this work around helped me, hope it can help you too.

FYI I am running a My Touch 4G Slide on HTC Sense.

View solution in original post

12 Replies

The same issue occurs here. The solution was clearing the local cache and syncing it again. It's happened a few times in the past months, it always happens after Spotify can't load the local cache at all for some reason. After exiting Spotify and starting it up again, your cached music will be partially complete. It will still indicate that your local files are there, but they will crash to the home screen when you try to play them, or skip over them. 

Are either of you running ICS?

Spotify does not yet support it (and this causes big problems) and whilst the update is planned we dont yet have any idea of when.

Maybe oyu oculd vote for my idea to get a beta build out ASAP?

http://phandroid.com/2012/04/06/imdb-for-android-update-brings-720p-trailers/

Cheers

When it crashes, do you get any error messages, or does it just disappear back to the home menu?
Airhorn Enthusiast

It simply crashes to home for me. Even when playing local files I do not get an error message (the usual 'you need to sync it'), it just goes back to the home screen.

I am using a Galaxy Nexus running 4.0.2, when 4.0.4 is available I'll see whether it still happens. 

I had the same issue. Actually existing tracks played fine but removed/moved files we still visible in Spotify and caused crashes. No error messages, nothing.

Tried clearing the cache from within the app without success but removing the /Android/Data/com.spotify... did the trick. A bit harsh procedure though, I wish the rescan could be done in another way.

In the same boat. I am at the point where I am debating cancelling my premium service-- no point in paying for it if the app does nothing but force close, right?

It seems to happen only with local files that had previously been saved to my phones memory card-- that once I put spotify on the phone, I thought I could delete & have more room for pictures and such on the memory card.

This is not the only case though, some other local files have done it as well & even occassionally a non local file causes it force close, but local files (formerly to the phone) seem to be the main agressor. I have tried changing details in the file names & readding them to playlist, no luck on most but it did work on a few tracks. Then I discovered the local files symbol & tried delinking them and resyncing. Still no luck.

Now I am trying uninstalling the app & clearing the cache. The phone is resyncing my 2000+ files now, so we shall see if this fixes it. I've read on other blogs that people have seen some temporary success with this-- but for some reason, not permenant.

Hope this fixes it, I am beyond frustrated. You would think this would be a common enough problem they would send through an update to the app to fix it.

Hi,

Exact same behavior. Did some cleanup in my local music library, but deleted files are still listed in Spotify, did'nt found any way to update it. If Spotify tries to play the deleted song, it crash.

Running on Galaxy Nexus

Yep... same here. Deleted some local file music from sd card, but Spotify [android] still shows them. If I intentionally (or acidentally) click on one of these ghost songs, the app crashes immediately, so cannot manually delete in Spotify. Tried clearing cache in app, no luck. Tried uninstalling and re-installing, no luck. I am also using Samsung Galaxy phone. I am a premium subscriber, but if I cannot change my phone local files, I will be forced to try something else, because that is an unacceptable bug.

Found a way around by deleting manually the faulty entries in the "Local Music" list. Boring, please deploy a fix ASAP.

Marked as solution

Okay something I did worked, bc I went on a road trip after I did it last week and it didnt force close the entire time. This obviously is still an unacceptable bug for a premium service to have but my fix worked for me, so if you want to keep Spotify, I'd suggest trying everything I did:

-Go ahead & delete all your local music on your phone (as in saved to an SD card) to avoid this problem in the future- just plan to link all songs via spotify on wifi (we will get to that in a minute)

- Delink all the local files that are tracks available on spotify (if you right click a track or multiple tracks in your "library" file, "unlink track" is an option) . This can only be done on a desktop version of it- not your phone. Obviously files which are not available on Spotify (the grayed out ones) you wouldnt do this to. For my own personal ease- I created a playlist of just those songs not available for free on spotify.

I'm honestly not sure if this step is actually necessary, I am just saying I did it in my process and something I did worked here, so I'd try it all that I did. Also, this helps if you have an old cd's files on your computer which had skips- if you delink it then you get spotifys version, not yours, this helped me out with some of my old cd files.

-Uninstall the app but make sure to also CLEAR THE APPS CACHE. If you have an app which is backing it up your app data, delete your saved spotify files. Just be sure to completly remove it from for your phone. I would restart your phone as well, just to be on the safe side.

-Reinstall the app and resync your files via wifi. Obviously this is the painstaking part of the process, if you like me have thousands of songs which will have to load. I just let it sync overnight to take out that inconveneince factor.

Like I said, doing all that has gotten my app to work perfectly for the past week, including two 3+ hour drives during my weekend roadtrip. Its annoying that the app has that gliche, but this work around helped me, hope it can help you too.

FYI I am running a My Touch 4G Slide on HTC Sense.

That's definitely the way to do it, LCappon! 😄 After putting up with this problem for at least a month, I did the same thing and the app has been working like a charm ever since. It's a real shame that the Android app is so poor and inconsistent compared to the PC software.

For anyone else who's also having this problem, follow LCappon's steps ^-^

Gimme a follow, throw some tunes in my inbox, I'll do the same. Peace ♪

https://open.spotify.com/user/givstar

How the **bleep** is this still a bug after 5 years? Can't fix it after trying all the steps listed in this thread.

EDIT: Something worked. I did all the steps one more time and it worked this time (I think).

Suggested posts