Spotify App doesn't play on phone but web app is fine

Plan

Premium Family Plan

Country

UK

Device

Samsung Galaxy S8, 

Operating System

Android Pie version, running current version: g950FXXUCDUD1/G950FH3GCDUC2/G950FXXUCDUD1

My Question or Issue

I haven't been able to use Spotify App on my phone for 6+ months. I have tried the tips on clearing cache, deleting app, updating phone, signing out of all devices, changing passwords and still no luck. I've been using Bandcamp as an alternative, which works fine but is also costing me quite a bit.

So the issue, when using the Spotify App it doesn't not play correctly through phone speakers or headphones (bluetooth or wired). It thinks it is playing (shows pause icon and little bar anims aplays aswell) but just hangs at 0:00 on the track and if you move bar along still nothing.

If I cast from App to speakers (google home) or a games console (PS4, Xbox One) it works perfectly fine.

If I run the web app through phone it plays fine but not ideal as I can't download music and eat up a chunk of data.

Other members on my premium account have no issues.

Other oddities with the app are that:

• It doesn't seem to be in sync with what I last played on desktop application on the home page, but if I go into account it shows the correct information.
  • If I switch from playing from desktop to phone it tries but ends up playing something I was listening to weeks/months ago
  • Sometimes when I switch between desktop and phone it will keep up with the current track but just stops playing and goes back to above issue.

Any help would be amazing as it's bringing me down.

Cheers James

1 Reply

Hi there @JamesC84,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community and welcome!

This sounds to be an issue with the device itself. Just to confirm, did you make sure to follow these steps when reinstalling the app? Those are very thorough and can be helpful to remove any corrupted files that might be causing trouble.

If that didn't help, could you try logging in to another account, like a friend's or relative's on your phone to see if this behavior persists? This will help us confirm if the issue is device-related.

Keep us posted. We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Suggested posts