Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify App skipping songs randomly

Spotify App skipping songs randomly

Hello everybody,

the Spotify App for Android (version 8.5.81.991) always skips songs.

It doesn't matter if I want to play a playlist or a complete album. The first 2-3 songs are played normally, after that Spotify starts to skip single (or several) songs at random.

The problem occurs with music stored offline as well as during streaming.

It is also irrelevant whether I am in W-LAN or using the offline mode.

Deleting the cache and completely uninstalling and reinstalling the app has not solved the problem.

The app runs on a Samsung Galaxy S10+ with Android 10 (security patch from October).

Does anyone have similar problems or know how I can solve them?

Many thanks and best regards
Johannes

19 Replies

Hey there @JayDee22

Help’s here!

In case the clean reinstall didn't make any difference to the issue we suggest trying if you experience the same when logging in to your Spotify account on a different device. This way you can see if the issue might be device-related. 

Another thing worth trying is logging in to a different Spotify account on the affected device. If it works with another account, you can follow the steps in this Spotify Answer next.

Keep us posted! We'll be here if you have any questions. 

Hello @Ivan,

thanks a lot for your reply.

I did another clean reinstallation of the app at the weekend.

In the morning after that everything worked fine, from the afternoon on the app started to skip tracks at random again.

Furthermore, only a part of my library is displayed in offline mode.

I tested the whole thing on another device (Galaxy Tab S5e, Android 10 in the latest available version), here the same problem occurs.

I honestly do not assume that the problem is related to my account (Premium Family subscription), as this problem seems to occur with multiple users.

Many thanks and best regards

Hey @JayDee22,

Thank you for your reply.

In this case we suggest that you perform another clean reinstall of the app again to make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

Also - can you try to log in with another account - such as a friend's or a family member's to see if the issue persists?

Keep us posted. We'll have an eye out for your reply.

Cheers 🙂 

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hello @Jeremy,

thanks for the reply.

I have done two clean new installations in the last two weeks.

The problem remains the following:
In offline mode, individual tracks are still skipped, both in playlists and when listening to complete albums.

As soon as I am no longer in offline mode, this problem no longer occurs and everything works fine.

To be honest, I don't feel like doing a clean reinstall and downloading about 41 GB of music again.

My question is now the following:
When I listen to previously downloaded music in online mode, will the downloaded music play or will it be streamed and the data volume be charged?

Thanks a lot.

Hey there @JayDee22,

Thanks for getting back to us.

When the app is not in offline mode, even if a track is downloaded, it will be streamed. This is because the app connect to our servers in order to make sure that you're playing the latest version available. If there's a new one, it will automatically get downloaded and replace the old one. You can learn how to toggle offline mode on/off here.

As to the issue you're experiencing - did you get the chance to try it out on another device or with a friend or family members account. We'd appreciate it if you do as this is a troubleshooting step that gives us valuable info.

Keep us posted, we’ll keep an eye out for your reply.

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hello @Mihail,

I have also tried it on a Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e (Android 10, latest security patch), here the same error occurs.

With another account I could not try it yet.

I don't think it is related to the account either, because the error did not occur until the update to App version 8.5.81.991.

Currently I have version 8.5.82.894 in use, the error also occurs here.

Hey again @JayDee22,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

Do you have an SD card? If so - can you uninstall the app with the steps that's provided in the clean reinstall article? After that - switch off your phone > take out your SD card > start the devices again without the SD card > reinstall the app.

Let us know how everything goes 🙂

Cheers!

JeremyModerator

Hello @Jeremy,

did an update on App version 8.5.83.1075 yesterday in the evening. 

After several hours of listening to music in offline mode the issue doesn't seem to occur since then. 

Regards 

Johannes 

Hey @JayDee22,

Really nice to hear that everything works as it should again 🙂

We're always one reply away if you need us 🙂

Cheers!

JeremyModerator

Hey @Jeremy,

I probably thought too soon that the error had been corrected.

Just now songs were skipped again.

I use an SD card in my smartphone, but the downloaded music is stored on the internal memory

Hey again @JayDee22,

Thank you for your reply. Sorry to hear that you still experience this.

Can you try to follow the steps that was provided about the SD card to see if the issue persists?

Cheers!

JeremyModerator

Hey @Jeremy,

tried it an hour ago. Unfortunately same issue afterwards. 

Don't understand why the issue only occurs in offline mode. 

Hi again @JayDee22,

Thanks for letting us know that the issue doesn't occur anymore after the recent update.

Sometimes certain updates may cause the app to malfunction on certain devices.

Let us know if we can help with anything else.

Cheers.

AlexModerator

Hey @Alex,

unfortunately the issue occures again since yesterday in the afternoon.

Hi @JayDee22,

Thanks for the clarification.

Could you ask a friend or family member to log in with their account on your device and see if offline songs skip on their account as well? This will help us check whether the issue is account related.

Thanks for sticking with us during this troubleshooting process 🙂

AlexModerator

I believe this is due to the phone. Noticed today that if I tap the screen several times it goes on and pause/play is possible. So if the pocket is conductive the screen will turn on from several touches. Problem is not with Spotify but with the phone OS.

Should find a way to keep the screen off from tapping the screen

My problem was solved by turning off gesture "turn screen on/off by double tapping" 

I am having much the same problem as the OP, only I don't download. It skips on wifi, and on data. I reorganize my Playlist with the songs I want, and Spotify (app and website) seems to just skip about randomly regardless. It also likes to play the same dozen songs multiple times even when repeat all is not selected.

Hey @Catspwnme,

Thanks for your reply in this thread 🙂

Could you share with us the troubleshooting you’ve already done? We recommend you start off with a clean (more thorough) reinstall of the Spotify app on your device to see if this makes a difference. You can see the steps to do it here.

If this doesn't do the trick, can you let us know the exact make/model and OS of your device along with the Spotify version you use? 

Lastly, is this happening on another device at this moment? It’d be awesome if you could check. You can ask for the device of a relative or a friend to open your account and check.

We'll keep an eye on your response! 

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Suggested posts