Razer phone

Windows desktops

Operating System

Android 8.1.0 (Oreo) - Razer

Android 9 (Pie) - Pixel 3

Windows 7

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

During the weekdays while my partner is using his phone (Razer) he will see the "Listening on/now playing" coming from my work PC (Win10) and has no way to disable this on his phone.

Spotify Connect indicates we should only be able to see the active listening for devices on the same WiFi network, however we are on completely different networks and completely different areas of the city (or different cities) at that time and he will still see what I am listening to.

We've encountered this in different ways too, but this is our most common scenario.

This is an issue for us as it's taking up unnecessary screen real estate on our phones when we're not actively listening together, and he's not interested in using Spotify at that moment, nor does care what I'm listening to!

See attached for a screenshot from his phone showing his WiFi network, and from my work PC (DMU609) and the wired network I am on.

Attach2840_20190405_101346.jpg
spotify_connect_issue_pc.png
4 Replies

Hey @Zombnom.

Thanks for getting in touch!

You'll still see what your account is listening to. It doesn't matter if the device is on the same network or not. It's hard to help you with this though, because it's against the terms and conditions to share an account. In your case we recommend using your own personal account. That way you won't have this issue.

Hope this clarifies some things. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day.

Is it?! Eek!! Here I was thinking I read it fully back when we set this up and this was permitted (just unable to play music at the same time). Thanks for letting me know, and this issue makes sense in that case. We'll get separate accounts worked out!

We are going to go to a Family plan! But this is actually still an issue. My partner brought up a valid point, that this still happens between my own phone and my work PC. On my work PC, even when I close the task of Spotify and lock my work PC at the end of the day, when I open my spotify at home it will show it as still listening on my work PC.

Hey @Zombnom.

Thanks for getting back to us!

When you come home and open your mobile phone, is the music actually playing? Because it's expected behavior that when you open a different device you'll be able to resume playing what you've been listening to. But it should only resume after you hit the Play button of course.

You could always try to Sign out everywhere which can be done on this page and changing your password. Just in case your account is still logged in somewhere.

Hope that helps! Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day.

Suggested posts