Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Connect - where is it?

Solved!

Spotify Connect - where is it?

Just got my android devices and my Windows PC updated today expecting some Spotify Connect goodness. Alas not one of my two android devices nor the PC seem to be able to find each other. I was under the impression that Spotify Connect would allow me to handoff playback between all three? They're all on the same WiFi network and the PC has both the android devices listed in the Devices list.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

That is correct, Connect is not yet integrated into the Desktop client.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Hey all,

Connect on Android should now be available to everyone. If you're not seeing the icon, make sure you're using the latest version of the app.

If you have any questions or feedback about it, feel free to create a new thread (after searching to see if someone's already mentioned it). All constructive criticism welcome!

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

Marked as solution

First off, is your ipad and android log in as the same account and if so are they both of the same wi-fi. Cant just have 1 on wi-fi and 1 not, they both have to be on the same wi-fi. Then usually the android would have to connect to the ipad(the phone being the remote). Then it should work. If it doesn't make sure that spotify on both devices are fully updated as well. if it worked give kudos to me. =3

135 Replies

I thought it only worked on mobile devices and harware partner devices. It should work between your two androids though. Go to the cover view when playing something and you should see the connect icon if your other device is on and spotify is open on it.

There is no connect icon, just an empty space to the right of the next song icon, where I think it is supposed to be.

So far the Connect feature has been a total bummer. No connection between my three current devices running Spotifys own software. It seems Yamaha isn't releasing a firmware update with Connect for the reciever I bought brand new six months ago. There's also not yet any mention of including Connect in libspotify which could enable it on my two XBMC setups.

It works fine for me although I haven't worked out the benefit of switching playback between two portable devices yet. You do have spotify version 0.7.3 on both devices?

Yes, 0.7.3 on both devices. Do you have two android devices linked? Did you hook them up to a Connect enabled speaker or amp? I read that on iOS it used to be the case (maybe still is?) that you had to hook the devices to a Connect enabled speaker/amp to make them all sync. Then you could remove the speaker/amp and the connection between the devices was still intact. Spotify said they would remedy this behavior. See this thread;

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-iOS-iPhone-iPad-iPod-Touch/Spotify-Connect/td-p/568586/page/2

An obvious benefit of having two portable devices linked would be having one device connected to a speaker/amp/reciever and using the other as a remote. Another benefit would be switching from the phone to the tablet when coming home without having to recreate the queue.

No I don't have a harware device with Connect. I Just started up spotify on both androids, started playing a track on one and switched to the other almost by accident. So yes there's a grey connect button to the right f the play controls in album cover view and selecting it let's me connect to my tablet.

I can't seem to control the volume via connect but otherwise it works fine.

I can't find the connect button on my android device either.

I have a connect-enabled speaker but can't use it even though the release notes mention the connect feature for android.

Does the FAQ help at all (it only mentions iOS but applies to android too).

@jwylot wrote:

Does the FAQ help at all (it only mentions iOS but applies to android too).

No. It basically says;

"To get started, make sure your ... devices are on the same wifi network and that you have the latest Spotify app. If you don’t see the Connect icon, check your device’s user manual ... Then, simply open Spotify on your device and tap the Connect icon."

That doesn't help much when the devices are on the same network and the button still doesn't appear.

When you connect your two devices to the same WiFi, do they both show under "Devices" in the desktop client? 

Peter

I do have the same issue. The devices appear in the desktop client (both Android and iOS), but only on the iOS device I see the spotify connect button.

I have tried spotify on both Android 2.3 and 4.4 but that does not make any difference.

@MichielB wrote:

I do have the same issue. The devices appear in the desktop client (both Android and iOS), but only on the iOS device I see the spotify connect button.

I have tried spotify on both Android 2.3 and 4.4 but that does not make any difference.

Are you also on Spotify android v0.7.3 on those devices? 

Wondering is there a feature rollout still going on even though it was announced in the release notes?

Peter

The version I have on the Android devices is: 0.7.3.629.

On my iPad I have version 0.9.0.8

same probleme for me 

three android devices , last version 0.7.3 629

same wifi

I test with the wifi share by a phone ( the second phone was player music with first phone data )

one samsung s3

one htc desire 

one htc desire 500

both are visible from the desktop application 

no Speaker icone visible , I'm very disapointed !

I just queried this with the Spotify team and it does appear that Connect on Android, (just like on iOS) is on a feature roll-out, so just because the feature is available in the app version doesn't mean everyone will get it at the same time. 

Keep your eyes peeled, I can't imagine you will need to wait long for it to appear on all of your devices/accounts. 

Peter

How can I find out if Spotify Connect is enabled on my phone and tablet?

I am planning ot by the Pioneer Hardware, but without knowing that my phone is supporting it - that would be stupid !?

If you buy a Connect enabled receiver from Pioneer, you can be sure that Connect will get enabled for your account when your device will detect the speaker in your network. That's what happened to me and other users.
Follow me

The scenario I have in mind is to connect my Ipad to my receiver and use the Nexus tablet to control it. What I understand from Spotify Connect, this should be possible. I have at least seen this working with two iOS devices.

So when the spotify connect option becomes automagically available on the Nexus tablet I can test this.

Hi,

At the moment connect will only work from device to Hardware such as a speaker. However I am aware that device to device functionality is in the works. So at the moment your scenario will not work, but hopefully soon it will be possible.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Not so. It works between devices too. I can control one android from another.

Suggested posts