Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Connect - where is it?

Solved!

Spotify Connect - where is it?

Just got my android devices and my Windows PC updated today expecting some Spotify Connect goodness. Alas not one of my two android devices nor the PC seem to be able to find each other. I was under the impression that Spotify Connect would allow me to handoff playback between all three? They're all on the same WiFi network and the PC has both the android devices listed in the Devices list.

135 Replies

Spotify Connect is not yet available on Yamaha, last time I heard anything here on the community people are still waiting for Yamaha to push out the firmware update to their receivers to enable the feature. 

You can tell if you are using Connect or Airplay since the method of transferring playback with Connect is different (with the connect symbol):

https://support.spotify.com/learn-more/guides/#!/article/Spotify-Connect

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

@markilou wrote:

Same issue here with my Yamaha RX-V675 : even with the latest update I can't play Spotify from my Android device. what a shame: this is actually one of the reasons why I bought that receiver !

And as far as iOS is concerned it's hard to tell whether this is Airplay or Spotify Connect ... when I launch it from my iPad the Receiver sees it as "Airplay": I have no way to check whether the music is actually streaming from my iPad or directly from Spotify connect to my Yamaha...

You are using Airplay. Yamaha has not released the firmware update to enable Spotify Connect. Last I asked Yamaha support, they told me that the update should be released in January.

"Rollout" or empty promise? It's disappointing to see Android users left out and in the dark again. It's one thing for Android to roll out later, but I really don't understand why Spotify can't be honest about it and give an estimate. Something official would be nice...but in the meantime, anyone have any more rumours?

I found a Pioneer network speaker with Connect support in store today (Clas Ohlson in Sweden) but they didn't have a way to let me test it - which I was hoping would enable it for me. Anyone in Sweden found a store where you could try it?

Its still rolling out on iOS too as far as I am aware, so android aren't being left behind. 😉

Peter

I wrote to the guy at Yamaha who signed the press release http://usa.yamaha.com/news_events/audio_visual/yamaha_supports_spotify/ but I never got any reply. I'm puzzled that Yamaha can actually get away with announcing and including the feature in the official product descriptions when it's actually not available... 

@markilou wrote:

I wrote to the guy at Yamaha who signed the press release http://usa.yamaha.com/news_events/audio_visual/yamaha_supports_spotify/ but I never got any reply. I'm puzzled that Yamaha can actually get away with announcing and including the feature in the official product descriptions when it's actually not available... 

The firmware update is now available for Yamaha receivers V675 and up. According to Yamaha support, the lower end models will get the update next week.

indeed poisike, you're right: here's the announcement from Yamaha USA Support: http://usa.yamaha.com/news_events/audio_visual/firmware_update_for_spotify_connect/

Thanks for letting me know. I'll try it whe I get home in a couple of hours and will let you guys know. 

I have installed the new firmware on my receiver and the "Connect" button has not appeared as described in the instructions for Spotify Connect with Yamaha enable devices.  Has anyone had success?

sonnenbs33: Have you confirmed that the firmware update was successful? What firmware version do you have now?
Are your Yamaha receiver and mobile device on the same network? Does Yamaha AV Controller app find your Yamaha receiver?
Are you using Spotify on Android or IOS?

In another thread, someone has the same problem as you... He is using Spotify app on Android device.

For me, Spotify Connect works great with my Yamaha RX-A2030, but I already had Spotify Connect enabled for my Spotify account, so maybe that's why it works.

The firmware was updated successfully according to the confirmation once installed. 

The Receiver and device(s) are on the same network. The Receiver shows up through each devices' Yamaha AV App. (Devices tried: Samsung Galaxy S4, Asus Tablet, Ipad).

When you say you had Spotify Connect enabled for your Spotify account what do you mean?

Receiver: Yamha RX-A 1030 (firmware version 1.35)

Devices: Samsung Galaxy S4, Asus Transformer Tablet, I Pad

A member of the Spotify team suggested to me to set up a personal WiFi hotspot on my device, then connect the speaker to that and see if Spotify then enables connect in the app?

Peter

sonnenbs33: I had the Connect button before Yamaha released the update for their receivers.

Peter: Yamaha receivers don't have WiFi.

Ah that might be an issue then! Hmmm let me do some digging. 😉

Peter

@poisike wrote:
sonnenbs33: I had the Connect button before Yamaha released the update for their receivers.

Are you telling me your device had the Connect button?  That's wierd.  I know at least my I pad should have the button then.  But I do not.

Peter: that's not the issue here. I have Yamaha receiver (connected using Ethernet cable to my router) and my Android devices are connected (over WiFi) to the same network. Spotify connect works great. Only difference is that I had Spotify Connect enabled on my account. So it seems there is a problem with discovering Connect enabled devices and enabling Connect for these accounts. Until now, I have seen reports of this problem only from Android users.

My guess is you are right, Spotify isn't being enabled because its not "seeing" the connect speaker for some reason, wondering is the current "see to enable" feature only scanning WiFi or something. If it was only an android related issue @sonnenbs33 's iPad (as long as its running iOS 6 or above) would have been able to enable Connect on their account. 

Peter

@sonnenbs33 wrote:

@poisike wrote:

Are you telling me your device had the Connect button?  That's wierd.  I know at least my I pad should have the button then.  But I do not.

Yes and it seems that's why it works for me. But as far as i know, it should get automatically enabled for all accounts that have Spotify Connect enabled hardware on the same network.

You have a iPad? Can you try uninstalling the Spotify app on iPad and then reinstalling it? If I remember correctly, this fixed a similar problem for someone on forums.

Spotify uses the words "the same wifi network" erroneously all over the place. They really need to replace with "the same network".

@Peter wrote:

My guess is you are right, Spotify isn't being enabled because its not "seeing" the connect speaker for some reason, wondering is the current "see to enable" feature only scanning WiFi or something. If it was only an android related issue @sonnenbs33 's iPad (as long as its running iOS 6 or above) would have been able to enable Connect on their account. 

They can't scan only devices connected to WiFi. This would be really stupid and as far as I know, its not even possible. If you scan for services on a network, it does not matter how the device is connected to the network.

@Peter wrote:

I have tried a reinstall on the I pad and I'm running iOS 7.0.4.  Still no button.

Suggested posts