Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Connect - where is it?

Solved!

Spotify Connect - where is it?

Just got my android devices and my Windows PC updated today expecting some Spotify Connect goodness. Alas not one of my two android devices nor the PC seem to be able to find each other. I was under the impression that Spotify Connect would allow me to handoff playback between all three? They're all on the same WiFi network and the PC has both the android devices listed in the Devices list.

135 Replies

@ Niksac: no,doesn't have it (maybe Chromecast, but it works only with the dedicated hardware and not between the devices), But tired to wait Spotify to releasing something that I really need (landscape in IOS is another one), I was willing to try something different... Google Play has some nice features that are still missing in spotify (like organize the music in Artists, Albums and songs and not only as playlist). But to be honest is not comparable yet (I like Spotify more)

@sonnenbs33: I don't have any Connect ready Hardware. It was already working in my ios devices and suddenly appeared also on android ones..
No updates of software made, no new installation. I just started Spotify as usual and was there. I guess is just matter to have it activated in the premium account.

@Darcy: maybe I activated Google play music free trial yesterday evening, can be this the magic word? 🙂 🙂 🙂

All of a sudden, the connect button has appeared!

It works as expected except that I can't figure out how to control the volume.

From my experience with iOS devices, you can't control the volume of another device with Spotify Connect but you can control the volume of a Spotify Connect enabled speaker.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Looks like the same on Android. If I hit the Connect button before opening Spotify on my other Android devices then the volume control shows up, but it disappears as soon as the other devices come online.

If I undersootd right that you CAN'T control windows spotify with spotify connect? I can see the spotify speaker icon on my android device but when connected to my home wifi it doesn't regognize my pc as a playable device. Every other similar software works fine (ie. plex).

Marked as solution

That is correct, Connect is not yet integrated into the Desktop client.

Peter

Y Plex 🙂

Not to be negative or anything but this is like the most basic thing you "should" advertize as "connect" feature. I'm kind of disaddpointed and not to sound even more negative it's business as usuall with spotify software developement 😞

I think adding the post above as a solution "just not possible" makes a perfect example....

DLNA which Plex uses and Connect are totally different. Spotify did indicate that Connect for desktops wouldn't come until after it had been rolled out to all android and iOS users.

Does Connect become enabled per account or per device during gradual rollout? It appeared for me finally today, but only on my iPad, none of my Android devices have it and the iPad's Connect interface doesn't list any devices.

All of my Spotify apps on all devices are fully updated, all the devices are on the same wifi network and all are visible in the desktop client. One of the Android devices is my old phone, so I wiped the data of the Spotify app there, restarted the app, logged in again, but that also didn't do anything. Obviously the devices are all in online mode and no airplane mode is active anywhere, etc. They all play music just fine (obviously interrupting each other). What gives?

To further test it, I restarted both the iPad and my primary Android phone and also set up wifi hotspot on the phone and connected to it with the iPad - both devices played fine, but still couldn't see each other with Connect.

Please don't tell me Connect doesn't work between iOS and Android... That would be completely ridiculous.

Hi. Connect does work between iOS and android so no need to panic. I thought rollout was by account but it seems, from your experiences and those of others that it is in fact by device. Hopefully you won't have much longer to wait.

Connect for Android is still on beta I think. Have you registered via the beta forum?

It might be why you haven't got it?

Collection is in beta but Connect is rolling out to all.

I too would like to see (or know if it already exists) a way to control another android device's Spotify Connect volume from another android device. There is a volume slider that is briefly visible which gives me hope that volume will be baked in to the application. I want to use an old tablet as a spotify hub but also dont want to have to walk over to adjust the volume. #firstworldproblems

Wondering is it actually possible to control operating system level volume options remotely though (since Spotify doesn't have its own built in volume control)? I would imagine it definitely isn't possible on iOS.

Peter

For me the volume slider works in two scenarios

1. On the device which currenlty is playing, iphone or android

2. If the stream is played on a "connect device" such as my Pioneer AV-receiver.

So when the stream is transferred from my Android phone to my Android tablet, the volume slider disappears from the phone and is only available on the tablet

I have two Android devices with Spotify 7.6.343 running on both.. Neither shows the Spotify Connect ability. Wasn't this launched several months ago? Am I really supposed to just wait here for a rollout that will come at some unknown time?

I think this is covered on the forum, but I think it needs to be enabled by a Spotify Connect device, e.g. a receiver, internetradio or similar. When connected to such compatible device, Spotify Connect will be enabled, and then it is enabled without the use of such device, so it can be used between two mobile devices for instance

Suggested posts