Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Connections notification and battery drain when using Navigation through Google Maps

Spotify Connections notification and battery drain when using Navigation through Google Maps

Plan: Premium

Device: OnePlus 6t

Operating System: Android Pie

Spotify Version: 8.5.20.857

I've been using Google Maps for navigation for some time with no issues. However, over the past few days whenever I start to use Navigation, I immediately get a notification saying " Spotify Connections", even if I don't have Spotify open.

This notification has no further info and does nothing if I tap it but remains there until I restart the phone. Force closing Spotify and/or Google Maps does not make it go away. In addition to this, if I select the Spotify icon while in Google Maps it says "unable to connect to spotify" and I am not able to control Spotify through Google Maps.

I tried simply hiding the notification (through the notifications menu) but the problem is it is obviously doing something as whenever I do this (even after force closing all applications so nothing is running) I get horrendous battery drain with Spotify running down approx 15% per hour even when it isn't running. The Spotify Connections notification (or whatever it represents) is obviously trying to do something continuously in the background and draining the battery even when neither Spotify noer Google Maps is running.

I have tried removing Spotify from Google Maps and reconnecting, I have deleted cache and app info from both Spotify and Google Maps and I have completely reinstalled Spotify and Google Maps too. I have also tried removing associated devices from my Spotify account as per guidance from other similar posts.

Even if I do not have Spotify connected to Google Maps at all, it still triggers every time I try to navigate using Google Maps.

Please, does anybody have any advice on how I can fix this? I am now at the point where I need to restart my phone every time I use navigation in Google Maps and it is driving me insane! I'm happy to provide any further information or screenshots if needed.

4 Replies

Hi,

I have the same behaviour on my op6t. Did you find any solution about this probem ?

Not as such but I have noticed now that as long as I don't have media playback controls switched to on in settings then it doesn't happen. As soon as I try to use Spotify through Maps though it starts again and I have to restart.

I guess the moral of the story (for now) is to just not use Spotify controls in Google Maps. Hardly a great advert for either service though.

It's strange that we both have a Op6t though. 

Hi,

I'm a member of the Spotify team, I work on the Android apps and I have worked on this feature.

The notification you see is shown when a third-party-app connects to Spotify through our Android SDK. In this case, Google Maps uses that SDK to allow users to control their music while navigating. 

Now, if you are not using those media controls from Google Maps, I don't think Google Maps should connect to Spotify and therefore, no notification should be shown.

This behaviour you are describing seems like a bug to me, but on Google Maps. I will do my best to report this issue to the Google Maps team and see if they can fix it so you only see the notification when Google Maps is actually using the connection to Spotify.

In the meantime, like you already pointed out, if you're not using Google Maps' media controls, you can disable them in the app settings. (Google Maps -> Settings -> Navigation settings -> Show media playback controls: Disable).

I hope you find this useful.

Best Regards,

Manuel

I've been having the same problem for a while. Draws down my battery like crazy even when maps isn't open. I checked and media connections are already disabled in maps. Doesn't seem to make any difference.

See the little Spotify emblem up in the corner? That's the problem.

Screenshot_2019-10-01-11-29-05.png

Suggested posts