Spotify Crashes when in landscape position and animation of song ist playing

Spotify Crashes when in landscape position and animation of song ist playing

LukyLand12
Casual Listener

Since the animated covers are implemented, Spotify is always crashing when my phone is in landscape position an a song with this animation is starting. 

I have a black screen but music continues playing. Turning the phone doesn't stop the problem. I always have to restart the app to solve it, until the next animated song starts. 

In portrait position I never have problems with that animated songcovers. 

Device: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

Operating System: Android 8.0.0

26 Replies

Re: Spotify Crashes when in landscape position and animation of song ist playing

Rock Star 15
Rock Star 15

Hey, thanks for reaching out.

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? If that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstallation of the app. Just follow the steps here.

As far as I am concerned Spotify doesn't support landscape mode, you can only use it portrait mode :)

Hope it helps!

LoxerRock Star 15
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Re: Spotify Crashes when in landscape position and animation of song ist playing

LukyLand12
Casual Listener

I did a clean reinstallation and it is still the same problem. It is definitely a bug of Spotify that the animations can't be played in landscape mode and because of that the app crashes. And Spotify was always supporting landscape mode and is still supporting it. This is the first problem I ever noticed in landscape mode. 

Rock Star 15
Rock Star 15

Hey @LukyLand12,

I already mentioned that Spotify doesn't support landscape mode :)

Could you please provide me with a screen recording of the issue you are actually having?

I will make sure that this is passed on to the right folks at Spotify :)

LoxerRock Star 15

LukyLand12
Casual Listener

Hey, 

I did a screen recording and attached it for you. I did not move the phone from landscape mode but you can see that Spotify tries to switch in portrait mode and finally crashes. In live you cant see that spotify switches between landscape and portrait mode the screen is still remaining in landscape mode. You only can see this in the recording! After the crash I had to go to the desktop and open the app again. But music is still playing. The black screen is still remaining after a song with animation. So it plays no role whether the following song after the crash has an animation or not. 

dbongard
Music Fan

Mine doesn't flash like that but does go to a black screen like yours.  It even blacks out the 3 x software Android buttons (square/triangle/circle) so that you can't even switch away from Spotify or get back to your home screen.  So Spotify keeps playing with the screen completely frozen and black, and if I leave it playing that way for a few minutes then eventually the whole device crashes and restarts.  This only started 2 updates ago.  It used to work fine...for about 2 years!  And my screen is a permanently landscape mounted vehicle screen...so for me this is now entirely unusable where it used to be my daily entertainment, and I have to warn everyone "Whatever you do - don't use Spotify or I will have to reboot the screen!".  

pnbr0014
Music Fan

This is ridiculous man WHY has support for landscape mode been disabled? if it temporary? is it because of this bug? will it return once this bug has been fixed? this is the type of information that users appreciate "we don't support landscape" is a major change from the previous app behavior and at the very least reasons should be sited and our concerns should be noted so that the dev team can reintroduce landscape mode

Rock Star 15
Rock Star 15

Hey @pnbr0014,

I recently tested it and it works just fine.

Have you tried a clean reinstall to see if that helps?

Please let me know :)

LoxerRock Star 15

pnbr0014
Music Fan

Nope.. clean reinstall did not fix phone not rotating to landscape in playback screen. autorotate works everywhere in the app except the now playing screen. This has to be fixed asap its very inconvenient when my phone is docked in landscape mode.

Rock Star 15
Rock Star 15

Hey @pnbr0014,

Thanks for posting it here :)

I'm make sure to pass your feedback to the right folks at Spotify.

LoxerRock Star 15
SUGGESTED POSTS