Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Deletes all downloaded songs

Spotify Deletes all downloaded songs

My Spotify Application deletes all my downloaded songs, probably 4 zimes in th week

I allways have to download them again, which is really tiering
19 Replies

Hey @OEjike, thanks for posting! 

That's not cool, here are couple of things you can try to troubleshoot this 

• Log out and log back in the app, then download the music again 
  • Go to your Offline Devices page, and delete the device you're having troubles with. Then set it up again. Also, the problem here may be that you've reached your offline devices limit, which is up to 3 devices for an account. 
  • Make a reinstall of the app, as this usually helps for many ongoing issues like this 

If this is not helpful for you, reply back with some more information about your device and exact Spotify version and I'll see how I can assist you further, thanks! : )

MartinStoichkovSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

The same for me, for 2 or 3 weeks approximately. I have uninstalled/reinstalled but the issue persists...
Will try Google Play Music if that f*****g bug is not corrected quickly

I've been having the same problem for the last two weeks. Every time my phone (a Moto G4 Plus running Android 7.0 Nougat) is turned back on, I seem to have either a) been logged out (if set to offline mode) or b) lost all of my offline tracks and playlists (which usually tops out at about 600). While I have some leeway in being able to download some tracks on the go with cellular data, I can't get my local files, which make up portions of my playlists, making them uneligible for offline use.
I have reinstalled the app 4 times, logged out (both deliberately and automatically) too many times to count, and fiddled with storage settings to my wit's end, all to no avail.

It would be absolutely fantastic if anyone could find a solution - I have a paid-for subscription to Google Play Music which I really want to avoid using, as Spotify's interface is superior.
Thanks

Hello all! 

I've escalated this issue, and I'll wait for an answer from the right teams. In the meantime, did you all tried my steps above ^ ? 

If this not working, share some more info about your version of Spotify and the device you're using + it's OS, thanks!

Hello here, I'm back with an update! 

Could you reply with some more information, if this still happening to you and my above steps don't work, thanks! 

Keep this updated, and I'll pass all your feedback to the teams backstage, and we'll all try to find the solution for this!

- How much available memory is there on the device (internal and on an SD card if applicable)?
- Do you have any cache-clearing apps?
- Did this happen after the phone restarted / battery died?
- Do you have more than 3 offline devices?
- Have you been offline for 30+ days?
- Are the tracks stored on an SD card? If so, does switching to internal memory help?
- If you're storing on an SD card, do you have another SD card you could try instead?

My phone has 4GB free out of 16GB internal space and 10GB external space on a 16gb SD (which I choose to use for Spotify). Because of the recent problem, I tried using another SD card as well as using internal storage, however both still to the same effect.
I haven't any cache-clearing apps.
Typically, I don't use offline mode often unless I'm travelling, but in light of the recent problem, I have started using it. Because of the issue of logging out/erasing tracks as a result of phone restarts, I barely get one full day of offline mode being turned on.
As for your suggestions, I have consulted and used them three times now, still to no effect.

Hey @KAJ5, I'll pass your feedback now, and I'll update you when I get an answer, thanks : )

Hello back 

So, what's may be happening there: 

• The SD card isn't being recognized by Spotify once you start up the device
  • Make sure your updates for Spotify are turned on, and if there are any updates available, update the app
  • Other suggestion is to download your tracks again via WiFi, and if you save the tracks to the SD card, hold on from opening Spotify for around 10-20 seconds after the system has started, this also should help 
  • It's maybe related to this issue hereWhile you're not using Samsung S7, the problem is identical and the troubleshooting steps are the same 
  • If you have "Blue Light" (Night Mode) filter on your phone, try turning it off, as this also causing problems for some users.

Hope this helps : )

I think I have found the problem for Android devices.
The issue is not with Spotify, but rather app permission settings (notably storage permissions) being revoked after a restart for some reason. This has the effect of denying use of storing files on the system, meaning that any files already there are erased.

This is a great notice @KAJ5, thanks for pointing it!

The issue gets annoying. I download all needed files, 15GB or so, at some point the app switches to internal SD card, cache gone, playback via mobile data plan without me noticing it without checking the app settings all the time and re-downloading all files.. 

I haven't had this issue in over a week now. Have you checked your storage permissions for Spotify? I found that every so often android OS disables permissions for new apps (which obviously happened when reinstalled), so I have started routinely checking my permissions in order to prevent this.

I made a clean install, checked the permissions for SD card, set the external SD card as standard. Then I re-checked all playlists and tracks I wanted to download have available offline. Waited for it to be done. Closed the app, restated the phone - checked out fine. This was 2 weeks ago. At some point during the last 2 weeks the app set itself back to internal SD card and lost all files on the external card. I don't know when and why. I only know that I haven't had any other issues with the SD card.

Same here! It drives me crazy..as it is not reproducable. Whatever I tried, the SD Card workes for either 2 days or 2 weeks and every other period in between. Sometimes just like that, sometimes after restart or even when restarting app when it does not want to play. Actually, the lagging of the app (we have had severe issues wirh that in the past) tells me it is switching towards the internal storage now.
Interesting also is when you install again (after all the deleting stuff) and change storage to SD it restarts the app and tells you, but 2 out of 5 it just tells you itbwill change storage in the background.
So no consistent behaviour, even if it is caused by some Android/Samsung bug..
As I said it drives me crazy.. please dix this bug or persuade Samsung id you think it is their fault! Originally bug is reported 12 months ago!....

I am traveling right now with my 4000 downloaded songs and my downloaded songs are allso gone. I don't have wifi available for couple of weeks so a fix would be great. Checked my storage, and it says that the spotify app is 20gb, so the songs are on the device but according to spotify, they are not.

Some info:
-App is up to date.
-Tried logging out and back in, didn't work.
-I have a oneplus 3t with the latest version of Nougat.
-Gave the app permission to storage
Hopefully I can get my songs back so I can listen to them on the road. Happened 3 times in 2017, hopefully this will get fixed in an update. Again, I don't have wifi available, only cellular data. So an off line fix is appreciated (or a fix that doesn't need a lot of data). Cheers

Hoped I wouldn't be back here again.
An odd variation this time; my offline tracks on both my laptop and my phone were deleted today as I turned them both on. Storage permissions were granted on both, so this leads me to believe that the issue is with a setting on Spotify as opposed to on the device(s).

Same problem happened today. All of my downloaded songs are not available anymore, which is a pain in the **bleep** if you're traveling. So, I hope this will finally get fixed... Cheers

Same problem here. I switched back to 7.9.0.746 version - all 8 version have same problem with offline mode (i can not play any of music previously donwloaded) and sync. 

Huh, you're right. Downloaded some songs again yesterday, and they are gone again! Djeezes, you would think they would be testing this before they release it. Well, hanged on wifi for 3 hours for nothing then I guess...
How do you switch back to an older version?
Edit: found it on google. Cheers mate! Hopefully no more offline problems with this version (chose the same version like you have) ☺️

Suggested posts