Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Memory confusion on Android

Spotify Memory confusion on Android

Argh!  Again, Spotify has forgotten where the music is on my phone, both downloaded from Spotify and local.  Please help with this very difficult app!  First, it suddenly could not play anything; no error messages to help.  Then, I got it to re-download every 2,500+ songs in my various playlists to my phone.  All seemed fine until I discovered that it would not play any of the local files that it previously played just fine (some 20+ more faves).  The online Spotify program did have these local ones, but the phone would not play locals.  This two aspect (a) re-download working well but (b) without local files being available phenomenon all led me to fear:  Has Spotify has placed a huge burden on my phone's memory, perhaps placing the recent (entire collection) download that I was forced to do (for no good reason other than it would not otherwise work) a different place in my phone's memory?  Oddly, the download had to be done folder by folder, unlike previous downloads that did all in one procedure seamlessly.  Please help!

A second issue is that we have been promised that the android app would have search capability, but it still does not.  Is there a way to make search work?

A third issue is merely a "nice to have":  I placed music on folders by type (R&B, Classical, etc.) and prefer that.  But, sometimes, I prefer to have them all mixed, and would rather not have to have the morory stress on my phone of redundant files in one folder marked "all Songs" in addition to the same songs in their own type-folders.  Is there a work around for this to allow the folders to not be a barrier to random-play so that one would not need to have, essentially, twice the music on one's phone?

7 Replies

For your first point have you tried a clen install? Please read the guide linked below for details on the most common issues and how to fix them. Usually a clean install is the first step to take and resolves most of the usual issues; the guide details the steps to take to ensure a full 'clean installation' is achieved - This includes checking redundant folders and a REBOOT!

[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues

For 2 & 3; have you checked to see if that Idea already exists in the Ideas section? If it does then add your Kudos to show your support. If not, create a new idea and if it gets enough Kudos it may well happen!

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
Spotify Android Version History

Dosn't reinstalling require another download of all music?  Is that the only way to be sure that Spotify's android app has no redundant files of music taking up space?  How to do this right, if i must reinstall?  BTW, this would be my third reinstall in a year to solve problems with this app failing!

Does Spotify automatically use the external card (please say yes!) or is it taking up space for the music download on my phone's meme card?

When the app installs itself it will determine the location that has the most available memory and will set that location as the cache. As long as your SD has more free space then this should be used.

Android Troubleshooting:

Spotify did not act as you predicted.  Specifically, the Device Storage had 9 GB space available (of a 16 GB capacity), and the SD had 29 GB (of a 32 GB card) prior to re-installation.  Afterward, I verified that the Device Storage (phone) folder for the Spotify Music in Android contained all of the music; the SD had none.  The remaining space on the Device Storage after downloading all music was under one GB.  Hence, Spotify failed to find & use the larger memory available.  Further, the local files appear as a folder in the online version; there was no such folder created by the app on the phone (possibly because it ran out of space).  Please note that the local files were all placed into playlists for the type of music I have in those playlists; I do not keep them only in the local folder in the online version.  This is totally wrong, and I have no idea what to do.  I would hate to discontinue Spotify, but this app is pushing me there!  Please help!!!!!!!!!!

Did you read my troubleshooting guide and note all the hints about selecting 'Extreme' quality etc?

Can you try another full clean install, make sure to check for folders and do a reboot. Re-install the app and select extreme download quality. Then find a large playlist and mark it as offline.

Android Troubleshooting:

I did move the folder with com.spotify. music to the sd card, exactly per the troubleshooting advice.  I did not reinstall, as that segment of the troubleshooting guide asked me to reboot and then download a folder of music.  It is downloading now.  I did not see any files established from this download on the Device mem, so I am reasonably confident that the download became an "overwrite" on the old version that I had moved to the SD card.  Please tell me this means success!  I am now downloading each playlist in turn, and hope to see the files only on the SD card.  What of the Local files, though, that should be integrated mostly into the Rock & pop playlist?.  Should I have reinstalled, despite what the troubleshooting guide stated?

Suggested posts