Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Premium Mobile Not Working

Spotify Premium Mobile Not Working

Spotify suddenly stopped working when my android is connected to my carrier. It only works when I'm connected to wifi. I've done everything including reinstalling Spotify several times. I've had spotify premium for two years and i will cancel my subscription if no one will fix the problem.
16 Replies

Hello!

Do you mean streaming or downloading songs for offline mode? 

Hope this helped 🙂

Don't forget to add your Kudos and mark as a solution if it helped you!

Follow me on Twitter

Whats a Spotify Rock Star?

Also, are you getting any error messages? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Thanks for replying. I'm primarily concerned with streaming, but for that matter download wouldn't work, and when I clear the cache the app doesn't even let me sign in because it says there's no internet connection. Which is patently false because I have a full reception and every other app connect to the internet with no problem. I have a hundred has something to do with my carrier and this Spotify app particularly, because on wifi Spotify connects no problem.

there's no error message with a code or anything, the only thing it says is no internet connection when I try to sign in. Or if I'm already signed in because I was using wifi, and then I turn wifi off and go to my carrier then it says Spotify is offline.

I have done everything, rebooting the phone, wiping the cache, reinstalling the app, changing my password. Nothing works.

Do other apps work on 3G/4G? Can you browse the web for example?

Yes, every other app accesses the web perfectly fine on 4G. It's just Spotify for some inexplicable reason.

Hmmm... thats really weird. Are you on Android or iOS?

Hope this helped 🙂

Don't forget to add your Kudos and mark as a solution if it helped you!

Follow me on Twitter

Whats a Spotify Rock Star?

@DaDerpityDerp I've move this thread over to the android section where other android users will see it and maybe contribute.

Let's get some concrete information to help work out what's going wrong here. Can you please post the following:

Mobile phone model.

Android version.

Spotify version.

Mobile service provider.

Is the phone rooted?

Could you reinstall spotify following the steps in part B of this post to ensure all traces of spotify are removed before reinstalling.

Thanks.

• Phone Model: LG Optimus L9
  • Android Verson: 4.1.2 (Jellybean)
  • Spotify Version: 0.7.2.402-g40e8dcb4 (whatever that means. it's the latest version, as I've reinstalled it several times this week)
  • Mobile Carrier: Metro PCS
  • Not Rooted

Please note that I've had the same carrier for the past two years that I've had Spotify premium. I did recently get this piece of garbage phone, but Spotify was working just fine on it until a few days ago, and only now will it not connect to the internet over 4G. On wifi it is fine. But on 4G it says "no internet connection." All other apps connect to the internet perfectly fine in any circumstance. There seems to be a problem with my carrier and Spotify.

Unfortunately for Spotify I won't pay for a service I can't use. As nice as Spotify is, it is useless to me if I have to be connected to wifi to use it.

I'm not sure what you meant by "part b" of your post, but I have reinstalled Spotify several times during this ordeal to no effect.

Thanks for your replies by the way.

I can confirm that I have the same issue. Spotify will report that there is no internet connection seemingly at random. However, I've done some experimenting, and there are a few conclusions i can make.  Before the devs here say that this problem is isolated to my device/carrier blah blah...its not. I have multiple devices across multiple carriers and spotify exhibits this behavior across the board. That said, I noticed that this problem occurs when there is a network hand-off (when your reception is handed off from one tower to the next) sometimes this hand-off is done seamlessly without a drop in packets/data/reception other times there will be a brief moment when you loose reception and when reception does come back you'll find that spotify think that the connection still isn't there. For whatever reason spotify sometimes fails to recognize that internet connection is restored and is stuck in disconnected mode. The way i remedy this is to go to my network settings on my phone disable data wait a few seconds and re-enable data, this usually will get the app unstuck. I've been waiting patiently for many many months for the app to update hoping that his issue is fixed but its not....I should've posted on this forum earlier to report my finding. Anyways I hope this gets fixed quick along with the 4.4 issues.

Hi and thanks for the additional information. The only thing which strikes me is your service provider which I think uses other proovider's networks by way of local roaming and I have seen cases where spotify refused to work unless roaming was turned off. But if you've been with them for 2 years, this probably isn't the reason.

Could you reach out to spotify support to see if they have any ideas before you throw in the towel. I totally understand your not wanting to pay for a service you can't use - I'd be the same.

Please use the online contact form and someone at Spotify can help get this sorted. If you get an automated response directing you back to the community or to the help pages, make sure to reply to it directly to speed things along.

@jinyang1590 Spotify should be able to handle tower hand-offs seamlessly. I use mobile spotify quite a lot and never noticed any issues. Have you tried contacting spotify support?

And a big YES on the 4.4 issues. My Nexus is liable to get the updaye soon.

I had suspected that myself and I did try that already -- turning data on and off, rebooting the phone, et cetera. Unfortunately none of that worked. But lo and behold just as mysteriously as Spotify stopped working it started working just now. I'm currently on my device and its streaming. Thanks for your help.

thank you for the link to the contact form. I may need that if this happens again.

Yes it SHOULD work seamlessly...however I find that it doesn't work as it should maybe 20% of the time. I know this because there is this dead spot near my home and about 20% of the time when I drive by with spotify streaming i'll run into the disconnected issue. And everytime I get the disconnected issue its right after I had lost data cpnnection for a short while. It seems like if there is no gap in data spotify works fine, if there is a long period of disconnection spotify works fine, but when there is a short duration of disconnection spotify bugs outs sometimes. But yes it seems to handle hand-offs fine most of the time.

Help needed! I updated my Samsung Galaxy 4 to 4.3 version couple of days ago and after the update, Spotify (Premium) stopped working. I can search the music so the connecion is'nt the issue but when I press play to ANY song it plays for about half a second and stops. Then the player indicates that the song is playing mut no music comes at all. I have deleted the whole app couple of times and booted my phone and nothing helps. It's a real pain in the ass because i listen to Spotify every day. so any help would be nice!:)

Suggested posts