Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Running -Can't figure this out

Spotify Running -Can't figure this out

Hi all 

I'm pretty new to Spotify . Trying the service in free mode for now to see if it's better than Deezer , which is the service I'm currently using . 

As much as I understand the running feature is using the phone accumulator  but it seems the tempo is always on 160 . It doesn't matter if I'm slowing down or turning up my running , it's still on 160 and the type of songs (Tempo) stays the same . 

Am I missing something ? 

I'm using the latest Spotify version 

Android version 6.0.1 not rooted . 

P.S -Sorry for my English 🙂

Thx . 

13 Replies

Have you tried deleting and redownloading Spotify app?

Nope . 

I have tried to use it again yesterday . 

When I start the "Running" feature , the app records my running phase but after that , nothing . it stays on the initial phase that was recorded no matter if I'm slowing down or the opposite.

Thx .  

Hi. Which phone model are you using?

Nexus 5 

Android 6.0.1 not rooted 

Thanks. There are numerous reports of problems with the Nexus 5 accelerometer. Some reports say that restarting the phone fixes it temporarily, others that any app which accesses the barometer will cause the accelerometer to stop working. One of the symptoms is that auto-rotate stops working. Search Google for "Nexus 5 accelerometer" for more information.

Thank you . I will into it further 

One thing I figured ... 

My auto rotation is off (I turned it off) . According to what I read , the auto rotation stops working when the accelerometer stops , so maybe I need to turn the auto rotation on and try again to use the running feature ...

I am pretty sure the tempo is not supposed to change during running. I had the same problem last time I used it. It detects the tempo when you start but doesn't change it during the run. My best guess is that it doesn't change because to keep detecting it throughout the run would use too much battery life. Not sure.

I was using iPhone, but I think it's the same for Android

As you can see from these 2 ideas posted, it's not currently a feature of the running mode:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Running-Automatically-detect-and-adjust-tempo-when-spe...

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Running-Automatically-adjust-tempo-when-speeding-up-or-s...

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks Matt 🙂

What about the Running Originals? I found the following statement here (of course they could have just got hold of the wrong end of the stick.

"Spotify is introducing something called Running Originals. These are songs that dynamically adapt to your running tempo. There'll be six Running Originals tracks at launch and house DJ Tiesto is one of the first to contribute a tempo-changing track."

The originals doesn't auto detect and adjust your tempo.

The originals were created so that the song will either speed up or slow down based on the detected tempo when you start up the running feature. So it's just the same original songs, but the sound of the songs will adapt and either be slower or faster depending on the tempo. It's actually pretty cool, but it doesn't detect and adjust tempo as you are running.

MattSudaSpotify Star

Ah OK. Thanks for clearing that up @MattSuda. So the only way is to restart Running when you change your tempo or adjust it manually I guess.

Yeah. at least that's how it worked last time I used it (it's been a while) and it sounds like that is still how it works.

I prefer walking and just listening to my normal library, so it doesn't bother me too much. For runners it could be cool to adjust it automatically. 

MattSudaSpotify Star

Thank you for clearing this up . It's a little disappointing . It could be great if it was automatically .

Suggested posts