Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Won't Play Songs in Order (Premium User, Shuffle is Off)

Solved!

Spotify Won't Play Songs in Order (Premium User, Shuffle is Off)

Plan

Premium

Country

Japan (but language is American English)

Device

(Pixel 3 xl)

Operating System

(Android 9)

Spotify Version

My Question or Issue

I've been a premium user for a couple years now and overall love Spotify and just noticed this issue about a month ago. I created a playlist with 3 albums on it that were imported from local files (the artist isn't available on Spotify).

The songs are displayed correctly according to track number. I have shuffle turned off. But when I hit play, it plays the songs in a random order. I saw in the community here that someone said to clear the queue to fix this problem. I tried that as well, and it still played a random song from the playlist. I've also tried clearing the app cache and restarting my phone. 

What's especially odd is that if I take the exact same songs and put them into a different playlist that has 1600+ songs (both local and from Spotify) and turn off Shuffle, it will play them in order. So I don't think the problem is with the song files themselves.

I pay for Premium for two reasons:

1. I can add local songs
  2. I can disable shuffle

Your company advertises both of these perks as reasons to go premium, but #2 technically isn't true and I'm honestly feeling rather cheated that an advertised service isn't working correctly. 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Solution:

I got in contact with chat support and they resolved the issue for me!! Uninstalling Spotify, restarting my phone, and reinstalling Spotify resolved the issue. 

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Marked as solution

Solution:

I got in contact with chat support and they resolved the issue for me!! Uninstalling Spotify, restarting my phone, and reinstalling Spotify resolved the issue. 

I am also having the same issue - won't play songs in order, premium user, shuffle off. I uninstalled and reinstall the app, but it still isn't working.

Me too I have the same problem. I already talked with spotifycares on Twitter and their solution didn't work! I don't know what else to do ㅠㅠ 

It turned out it was just one playlist, which seems like it was corrupted for some reason. I created a new playlist, copied all the songs from the original playlist across, and now it plays in order. The only problem is that my preferred order was the "date added" order, which is now all the same. But at least it plays in order now.

ohh my problem is all my playlists, I want them to play in order by Artist ( its easy for me to find any song that way) Ibeen in contact with spotify cares and still no solution, I checked if it was only me but my mom acc its the same and my bestie acc no 😕

I was getting the same deal with the artist order being used but there queue order within each artists didnt match the order in the playlist. This worked for me so hopefully it works for you.

In your playlist go to Sort playlist. It is probably set to Artist. Change it to Title and close the app. Reopen that app and change sort order back to Artist.

Not 100% sure if the closing the app is necessary and I haven't actually gone through and verified both lists match but so far so good...

Thanks I will try that. Sorry for late reply "

Check your qued music just solved mine 

• Make sure you have cleared your queue
  • Open up current song playing
  • go to bottom right and click on queue button its the circle with two line under it
  • Click clear queue
  • This should fix your issue hopefully

+1 @Darkmatter5 this worked for me too - cleared the queue and all back to normal. tried the other ways suggested here, but clearing the queue is what worked for me.

Suggested posts