Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify app wrongly claiming "no internet connection available" with premium account

Spotify app wrongly claiming "no internet connection available" with premium account

I've just bought a samsung s3 and installed spotify app on it. When I log in, I can't play any music or search for any songs as it says "no internet connection available". About 20% of the time, it will load my playlist, but then won't let me play anything from in there for the same reason. My premium account has been active for ~6 months and is still working fine on the spotify app on my old blackberry. I've tried clearing the cache, reinstalling the app and fully restarting my phone. None of these fixed it. Interestingly, I tried logging out, setting up a free account and logging in with this. The free account works fine - can search and play all the songs I want. However, when I logged back out of the free account and into my premium account, I'm back to the same problem again. Anyone got any ideas?
13 Replies

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Would you be able to try the troubleshooting steps and fill in the template in the android troubleshooting guide?

Also, does this happen on 3G/4G/WiFi (try them all if possible!)?

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hi. Thanks for the swift reply. I've tried doing what is described in the help menu. It's now started doing something else odd which it did when I first installed spotify. It had stopped doing this after a few attempts to reinstall, so hadn't mentioned it before but now when I log in, it keeps kicking me back to the log-in screen for a couple of seconds, and then back to the playlist menu for a couple of seconds. After clearing the cache and data again, I'm now back to the same "no internet connection available" problem. Occassionally the connection message goes away long enough for me to click a playlist, but then comes right back again as soon as it tries to open the playlist. Again, all of this isonly an issue with my premium account - a dummy free account seems to work fine.

In answer to your question about 3G/4G/WiFi, i don't have 4G, but i've tested it on 3G and WiFi and it does exactly the same thing on both. Also, as requested, I've included the completed template below.

Description
Cannot search for or play music due to "no internet connection available" message

Example:

Cannot play music or search for songs when logging in with my premium account, due to "no internet connection available" message (but works fine for a dummy free account that I just set up).

What are the steps you took to get to the error/issue?

(We need to know what you are doing so we can do the exact same to try and get the same error)

I installed spotify on a new phone. I open spotify, and click "log in here". I then type in username and password for my premium account and click "login". The screen then flicks uncontrollably back and forth between my playlist and the "log in here" front screen. I then cleared the cache and data, as per the troubleshooting page. I try to log in again and now get a message "no internet connection available" whenever I try to open a playlist or search for a song.

What I expected to happen

When I open spotify, I expected my playlist to open when I clicked on it. Instead I get a blank screen with a message "no internet connection available".
When I open spotify, I expected a list of songs to appear when I search for a song. Instead I get a blank screen with a message" no internet connection available"

Did you restart your device when troubleshooting in section B?

Yes

Did you read the connection troubleshooting tips?

Yes

Your device

Samsung S3

Device’s Operating System

Android 4.1.2

What type of account do you have?

Premium

(FYI for the below points: Android devices tend to refer to the internal memory as "SD Card" and the SD card you inserted yourself as "External SD Card")

Space left on your device

10.65GB

Space left on your SD card (if applicable)

1.86GB

Space left on your External SD card (if applicable)

... GB

Is your device rooted?

No

Are you using a custom ROM, if so which one, exactly?

No

Did you set your external SD card as storage location?

No

Did you manually install an older version before installing the latest version from the Play Store?

No

Do you have the same issue when switching between WiFi/Mobile Data (If applicable)?

Yes

If you said "No", when does the issue not occur?

N/A

My mobile Spotify version

My desktop Spotify version (if applicable)

N/A

My mobile provider and country

GiffGaff

My username

dh273

Do you have a Spotify (non-Facebook) login?

Yes

Are you logging in with Facebook or with your Spotify login details?

Spotify login

Do you have any screenshots you can attach to more clearly explain your issue?

Yes but don't know how to attach to this message

Hi. Tis has me stumped at the moment - could you post some screens on tinypic we could look at? Thanks.

Hi. Sure - here are the screenshots for my "no internet connection available", both when I open the main playlist, and also on the rare occasions it lets me open a playlist, I've attached the screenshots of the empty playlist with the same internet message.

http://tinypic.com/r/4v07xx/5

http://tinypic.com/r/32zic7t/5

http://tinypic.com/r/166j52/5

This might sound like a weird thing to suggest, but can you try changing your Spotify password on your online profile and then logging out and back in again? Sometimes it does appear to fix these issues, even though I have no idea why.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hi. I tried changing the password and no luck - still the same problem

Hi. Please try logging out then logging back in using your facebook credentials  rather than username and let me know what happens. Thanks.

I have just signed up with Spotify.

The app on my Galaxy Note 2 only worked for a short time then it now claims there is no internet connection.

Works OK on my iPod and my laptop on the same network.

This seems to be a Samsung/Android problem.

I've tried logging in with my facebook account and no change - stil get the same "no internet connection available" popping up loads. At one point, it did show me one of my playlists for a split second, but then it disappeared again to be replaced by the "no internet connection available" and an empty playlist screen.

I to am experiencing this error. Additionally it also cuts of my musik and displying no internet connection when infact there is becuse im using the phone and surfing at the same time. For me this issue started when LG pushed out their latest uppdate to Android for LG optimus G. The issue is precent both when running at 3G/4G and WiFi.

Nagelfar - if you set up a free spotify account, does it work when you log in with this? It was working with mine when I did that - I'm going to try making this free account into a premium account and see if it still works. Will let you know if that works...

No I haven't tried that yet. Wil try that when I come home from work today.

I'll keep you uppdated :-).

/Jim 

Same problem here, I'm on T-Mobile on the Lg Nexus 4 and when I'm on 3g/HSPA+ and boot up the app it stalls for a good two minutes stating that there is no internet connection when there clearly is a suffecient signal. It really sucks and it has been doing it more latley. For paying for premium it sure doesn't seem fair that the app can't connect. 

Suggested posts