Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify being killed in background

Spotify being killed in background

I literally cannot do anything else when listening to Spotify.  If I try to use another app at the same time (check email, Facebook, browse web, etc) Spotify closes and stops playing.  This is especially an issue in the car; I cannot play Spotify through my bluetooth radio and use Maps/GPS at the same time because Spotify will be killed.  I cannot do anything but leave Spotify open on the screen and literally not touch anything else on the phone.

I have already tried troubleshoot.  I just did a factory reset of the phone, reinstalled Spotify, and it has made no difference at all.

7 Replies

Hi. I assume you are using an Android device. So you should go to Developer option. To enable that:

1. Open Settings> About> Software Information> More.
  2. Then tap “Build number” seven times to enable Developer options. ...
  3. Go back to Settings menu and now you'll be able to see “Developer options” there

Within Developer options look for the last option " apps" and go to  " dont keep activities " and unselect it.

It was already unselected.

Uhmm...and what kind of android do you have? Give us more detail.

Galaxy S5, Lollipop, up to date on whatever build Sprint has currently. Freshey factory reset, as I said. Also formatted the SD card.

Edited, duplicate post.

Check for pre installed apps like task killers or maybe antivirus and unnistall or disable them. Some of them kill process running in the background. You can also try to install a previous version of Spotify and you could do that by following the next steps:

1-Clear Spotifiy files, uninstall Spotify (Settings->Application Manager) and restart phone. 

2-In the Security section of Settings, allow files from Unknown sources to be installed (tick the box). 

3-Download into your computer the .apk file (executable Android instalation file) for Spotifiy 3.5.0.963 (newer versions from this number onwards either did not install or just hung up like the current version 3.9.0.965).

I got the file from the uptodown.com website, specifically from the http://spotify.en.uptodown.com/android/old page (chose version 3.5.0.963). 

4-I scanned this file online in the https://www.metascan-online.com website just to be on the safe side (uptodown  website claims their download files have already been scanned with 46 different engines). 

5-Transfer the downloaded .apk file (spotify-3-5-0-963-multi-android.apk) into my S5 phone via USB cable. Put the file in the device's Download directory (I understand apk files work from any directory at all). 

6-Locate this .apk file with ES FIle utility (or similar) in the directory you copied it, select it and chose the "Install" option

Suggested posts