Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify cache takes up to 17.6 GB on SD card - even after deleting it in the application itself...

Spotify cache takes up to 17.6 GB on SD card - even after deleting it in the application itself...

Hi, I am wondering how I can delete the Spotify cache memory, which takes up 17.6 GB on my SD card on my Android phone.

Using the 'delete cache' button in Settings in the Spofity app obviously does not work.

My attempt to manually delete this folder on my phone did not work either, because I had no access to these files.

I find the situation very unconvenient, especially since I have no offline downloads with Spotify. The current situation is that >50% of my external SD card memory has been used by the cache memory of Spotifiy alone.

Please let me know how to solve this problem.

4 Replies

I had the same problem as well. My workaround was to connect my smartphone to the computer and delete these files with Windows. In that way I was able to get rid of them.

You have to find your.android folder on the SD-card of your smartphone and there search for the Spotify folder, there you'll find lots of files with numbers. Those files you can delete and hey presto.... SD-card has more free space.

Sounds like your cache had become corrupt or unlinked from the app. As suggested use a pc to find /android/data/com.spotify.music and delete this folder on your sd card.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Fyi, uninstall the app first. After doing all this; reboot then reinstall.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately your suggestion didn't work. However, I found out something else.

I wasn't able to completely delete the folder com.spotify.music  (the folder which is 17.6 GB in size), even when I connected my SD card with my computer. I have system administrator rights, so that cannot be the problem. I also changed them from read-only to an accessible mode.

In the folder com.spotify.mucic, there still remain subfolders which can't be deleted, such as:

..\files\spotifycache\Storage\µB\

with files ...õõ and ...paÚ. These files are the ones which are so "large" in size, that is, >700 MB.

This however, can't be true. All other media on my SD card take up (summed) the fully 100% of the memory used.

So, it has to be concluded that:

* the folder com.spotify.music can't be deleted, because strange files in the subfolder can't be deleted

*  this folder appears to take up enormous amount of space (17.6 GB), but actually does not

However:

* I still want to be able to remove this folder and I don't have a clue how to do that.

These forum's, which describe the same problems, did not help either:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/Can-t-delete-com-spotify-music/td-p/866509

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/COMPLETE-GUIDE-How-to-fix-most-Android-issues/td-p/914...

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

Suggested posts