Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify constantly crashing or is unbearably slow after SD card mount

Solved!

Spotify constantly crashing or is unbearably slow after SD card mount

Hi

I'm in desperate need of help here please.  My spotify app has gone completely haywire.  It all started about a week ago.  I use a Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 phone running Andriod 5.1.1 which doesn't have much memory and so I was prompted by spotify to find addtional storage space after I started to run out which I did by getting a 250GB SanDisk SD card.   I mounted the SD card and almost immediately started having issues with spotify.  Firsty I had to transfer all my music to the SD card which didn't work so after several attempts I did a clean installation of the app so clearing all the data and cache (many times) until I could save straight to the SD.  

After this I had trouble downloading music which seemed to take unusually long but maybe that was just my connection.  Anyway after downloading what I wanted I received an error message saying I was downloading to a third device on the account (which wasn't the case) so all my data would be deleted which it duly was.  This happened a couple of times, I checked my devices and there were only two of them but  at this point I decided to do another clean installation which seemed to do the job.  I was now able to download music straight to the SD card without a glitch.  However now the app runs outrageously slowly.  For example, anytime I open the app I get the message along the lines of "something's gone wrong there please try again " but after a few seconds its sorts itself out and takes me to my home page.  Now the main problem is responsiveness.  Any command I give whether it be going to artists/playlists/settings/search takes on average about 30 seconds to get there.   This includes trying to play any song which can take a minute or more to play after selection but that's what happens if im lucky because about 50% of the time after a song selection the app just crashes and sometimes I can't get back into the app without restarting the phone.

I pretty much tried all the sensible things.  Clearing the data and cache then unistalling and reintalling.  Changing the default writing disk from the phone to the SD card and back.  There's still 5GB left on my phone and 250GB left on my SD card.  I know android doesn't make it easy for apps to be saved to the SD card, I can't see an option to do it but but from my research I think it might be a bad idea to try.  To be honest though at this point I'm willing to try anything, I literally can not use the app like this.

Thanks in advance for your help folks!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Please read the guide linked below for details on the most common issues and how to fix them. Usually a clean install is the first step to take and resolves most of the usual issues; the guide details the steps to take to ensure a full 'clean installation' is achieved - This includes checking redundant folders and a REBOOT!

[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
Spotify Android Version History

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Marked as solution

Please read the guide linked below for details on the most common issues and how to fix them. Usually a clean install is the first step to take and resolves most of the usual issues; the guide details the steps to take to ensure a full 'clean installation' is achieved - This includes checking redundant folders and a REBOOT!

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
Spotify Android Version History

I don't understand why we have to go through all of these random steps? How about spotify just fixes it's issues... They make so much money, but can't fix simple things.. 

Looks like SD card was the issue.  Haven't had the chance to download anything yet but the app is much more responsive.  Thanks for the help!

Suggested posts